MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Why do you have to dispose of them? Can you give them away or have a used book sale? Our library does that.

County level? Do you know what happens to those that do not sell? Disposal. This shipment is from a satellite county library. If yours has sales, and donations, you have one of the better ones. Please support them!

My 'button is pushed' again. Brace yourself, I am going to 'pull back the 'curtain'.

I *LOVE* 'hard' books. But today, archives are electronic. 'Bulk' / hard copy archives are history. Ditto microfilm/fiche/print. We may be the LAST library who still has film/fiche/print capabilities. We digitize such, and many libraries send such, but most simply destroy. A large part of this shipment is this type of media.

Ever visited 'Hathi Trust'? hathitrust.org. Pay a visit!

We, the Librum, are part of the 'end of the line'. We do the indexing, and take out what we want. These indexes are sent to a certain major university who is part of the Hathi Trust. They select from that list, and we digitize (which is often 'destructive', the work is 'deconstructed') :( . Then Hathi sends the index to the Library of Congress, for them to go over the index to pull out anything that was never deposited (usually magazines, often on film/fiche/print)(and again, we digitize.).

Please support your library. Especially if it is a 'full service'. We are a dying breed.

One of our libraries (we belong to three) began doing the elimination thing. We got hundreds of free books, good ones that we'll read if the time should come when there's no internet for some reason. We also take them up on their book sales when they offer "everything you can get in a bag for $1.00. We are in pricess of converting one whole bedroom upstairs at the homestead into our "library"...with bookcase after bookcase of books...lining the walls and free standing in the center of the floor. We're loving it! We read hardcopy and kindle as long as it's available though :-)

Didn't do much today. Worked at the homestead last night for severa hours cleaning out brush etc., getting as much done as we can so we don't have to do it this spring. We've had 50+ temperatures and we're taking advantage of it. Mr is still working 4 days a week so we spend evenings and Friday-Sunday working for ourselves. Been rotating out the pantry to get it emptied out as well as the deepfreezer. We'll sell this frig, stove, washer & dryer with this house, but not the deepfreeze. It will move with us.

Had a beautiful day today, so worked again at the homestead clearing brush and sorting through Mr's re-cycled lumber. Put it on his big work trailer and will put his metal re-cycle stuff on his 5x8 work trailer. Abby-girl had to watch us tethered to the little windmill...we don't have any fencing around that part of the property :-( Finally had to quit about 4pm as it started clouding up and getting colder...they said we would get some rain...but so far it hasn't arrived.

It's 1:46 am and I have not been asleep yet. I went to bed at 9:30. This cold/flu or whatever has me all messed up. DH and I hardly slept any Friday night so I took two naps yesterday and am not the least bit sleepy now. I stayed in bed until nearly 1 am but I was SO hungry I had to get up and eat some tofu on a rice cake and some applesauce. Since Thursday, DH and I haven't been able to eat more than about 1/2 of food every few hours. I hope I can get some sleep when I go back to bed and not get indigestion.

Mom has the cold and DD had a temp of 100.2 last night.

Good Morning,

It's still dark out and looks like the sky is slightly overcast, a couple of stars.

Hope you & your family feel better soon, Daylily.

We2, that sounds like a lot of work.

Momo, how are you all doing? Has the ice melted?

Thursday, I got the last of the supplies we needed for DH's get together. Started cooking a brisket in the oven.

Friday morning, I started the barbecue around 8 am and put the meat in just before the rain began. I used our porch umbrella to cover the Q which allowed me to maintain the heat and smoke for 5 hours.

Our 6 months budget: 15 lb brisket, 10 lb rib roast, and a 5 lb ham.

Our guests began arriving around noon and DH went target practicing with one who wanted to try out a new toy he had. By the time they got back, the food was ready. Everyone seemed to have a good time.

I spent the whole evening putting up the leftovers, using my meat slicer and FoodSaver. I almost used a whole roll on the meat alone.

Of course, Saturday was house cleaning. What a mess. People and dogs in and out in the rain. Wet dog smell and muddy floors.

By the end of the day I was wiped out.

Grrr & Gunny are beginning to get along. Gunny seems a lot younger than 3 years old. He likes to chew on things and stumbles over his own feet. His paws are huge. And, he loves to play. Poor Grrr is over 10 and wants nothing to do with him when Gunny wants to play. Hopefully they will find a happy medium and mellow out.

I hope everyone has a blessed day.

I never went to sleep until after 3:30 am. When I went back to bed, DH has such a horrible headache and earache that he was going crazy. After a couple of pain pills and cold cloths on the head he was able to sleep and I finally went to sleep. I tried to take a nap this morning but wasn't able to fall asleep. Mom and DD are fairly well but not able to eat much. Poor DH is having a horrible time. I helped him get a hot so9ak in the tub and a shower and put him back to bed. he just got up and ate about 1/2 cup of frozen fruit and a piece of toast, went back to bed.

DS is fighting it now too.

Thanks Annarchy!

Grr and Gunny will probably be fine. When we got Lady as a puppy we had Peaches who most decidedly did not want a young kid around disturbing her peace but Lady won her over and she would even play briefly. But when she was done, she was DONE. She would knock Lady down and stand on her chest, snarling. If Lady so much as opened her eyes, Peaches would snarl viciously. The first time I saw it, I was just about to chastise Peaches but then I saw Lady barely open one eye to check and close it quickly. She had Peaches' number. She would lie very still until the "lesson" was over, then Peaches would let her get up. It would last about 30 minutes and then Lady was trying to get her to play again. Now Lady as an old nearly 15, has the right to snarl at Mom's little terrier when she's tired of playing. He's six so isn't as playful as she was with Peaches.

Hope your household starts feeling better soon, Daylily. :hug3:

Annarchy, it sounds like the boys are doing just fine together. It probably helps that Gunny is used to changes. They'll get it figured out on their own as long as one isn't really hurting the other one.

have been sending and re-sending the same info over and over to the company doing the equity loan for my (hopefully) new place in Georgia. its getting frustrating, but I'm getting better at it. basically I cc EVERYTHING to my own mail, and keep copies of EVERYTHING (now I recall why I don't like lawyers...feels like I'm back at work again). BUT I have a feeling I'm getting the loan, because late Fri I got a notice of change of insurance on my homeowners insurance...the mortgage co put itself on as lienholder on the homeowners insurance effective in March. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. So tomorrow I make more phone calls, to see if I have to get "gap" insurance for Feb, and ask LOTS of questions. Roomie is all excited, but I'm still restraining my excitement until closing is done and I have cash in hand. But it is certainly looking good.....

Congrats kappydell, sounds promising.

((((Daylily))) hoping the crud goes away. Thank you & Jeepers for the words of encouragement about the boys. They seem to be getting along better now.

How are you doing Ambergris?

Gunny decided to play with the tarp covering my washer/dryer. I looked out the window as he was pulling it off. I rushed out and promptly lost my balance and fell on the tarp and him. Yikes, that was not what I intended to do. Trying to avoid hurting him, I landed solidly on my knee and elbow. They are bruised but I didn't break anything, thank God.

I spent the rest of the day keeping a close eye on him, and re-reading the training book we have. He's getting better. DH says he looks like he has grown since we got him. IDK, to me, he's just big.

I am planning to give Grrr a refresher course, when I start Gunny's obedience training. The most important issue, for me, is not pulling on the leash, I don't have the strength to handle the constant jerking. The book teaches how to stop them from doing that quickly and effectively.

The clouds are thicker but broken up, more than yesterday, so far. Lol. I can see more stars today. :)

DH's friend came over yesterday and wanted to know if I would take 6 more hens!?! Like I don't have enough? I'll need a bigger coop, so designing one is on my ToDo list today.

It is time to get to work.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful day.

Still working around the homestead when we can. Didn't go last night because it was just too cold to be working outside, and both of us are still have a tiny little "cough" now and then from the colds we had several weeks ago. More like a clearing of our throats but don't need to be inhaling really cold air. Got the lumber pile sorted and the good stuff stacked on the big auto-hauler trailer and all the recycle metal on the little 5x8 work trailer (we'll tarp it over). Tomorrow we'll take a truck load to the re-cycle plant. Then Sat and Sun, Mr has to re-hang some guttering on the backside of the homestead that was blown down the last big wind storm we had. Been eating out of our pantry and freezer so we're rotating and saving some dollars at the same time. We'll re-stock when we empty out one particular item.

post-2444-0-24834400-1485512875_thumb.jpgWell, I asked my questions, and did not like the run around; nor did I like the total lack of respect I was getting from that mortgage company. It was almost like they were TRYING to drive me away - so I wont be closing anything with them at all. 8 weeks of stressing was enough. Walking away and going to plan B instead. I will know in 3 business days if I get this one...

post-2444-0-30570100-1485512910_thumb.jpg

post-2444-0-58422600-1485512942_thumb.jpg

Edited by kappydell

People are still battleing the bank/mortgage bailout thing...our studious govm gave them our tax dollars to bail them out so they could start loaning money out to people who really COULD afford to make the payments...instead they invested the money in futures...so the lending industry is right where it was when the mess started...in my own opinion.

Worked at the homestead house most of the day, getting one load of metal taken to the re-cycling plant, and putting the rest on the little trailer, to be sorted at a later date. While Mr was loading the truck I placed concrete blocks around the rim of another raised bed area. We'll have to slide them away when we dig down, but at least they're there and we know where they are. Also took some graph paper (this morning) and I drew out the layout for this coming season's garden. It will be a combination of about 8 raised beds, a large deep mulch area for okra, corn and pole beans, and about 8 large containers. I need to look up our predicted last frost date and also plan out my seed starting date. Watched a video on youtube from Bigbearhomestead and they have used a "grow box" for several years. He uses a cardboard box, lines the inside with aluminum foil, cuts a hole in the top and puts a CFL light (taping it to the top of the box) that he plugs in and it keeps the box warm and lighted. I'm going to give it a shot :-) We've got all the homestead windows insulated with clear bubble wrap, then plastic, then moving blankets and then the curtains...so it's DARK inside...LOL Using this growbox thing should work fine though.

Did make a stop at $Tree today to pick up a package of those teeny-tiny rubber bands, so I can do two ponytails with my hair at bedtime. I'm letting it grow ... grow ... grow. Tired of paying $20 for a hair "trim" with no wash, no set, no style. It's ridiculous what it's costing these days for hair cuts. I've cut MrWE2's hair for a long time. The first time I did it (years ago) he said he'd never pay somebody else to do it again :-) So we invested in good scissors and a battery operated trimmer as well as two plastic drapes...one for me and one for him! LOL I don't like hair all over my clothes when I cutting his :-) Sure glad Abby-girl is shorthaired :-)

Did make a stop at $Tree today to pick up a package of those teeny-tiny rubber bands, so I can do two ponytails with my hair at bedtime. I'm letting it grow ... grow ... grow. Tired of paying $20 for a hair "trim" with no wash, no set, no style. It's ridiculous what it's costing these days for hair cuts. I've cut MrWE2's hair for a long time. The first time I did it (years ago) he said he'd never pay somebody else to do it again :-) So we invested in good scissors and a battery operated trimmer as well as two plastic drapes...one for me and one for him! LOL I don't like hair all over my clothes when I cutting his :-) Sure glad Abby-girl is shorthaired :-)

way to go! I haven't cut mine in years. first did a barette French twist when it was in that in-between stage; now I can put it up multiple ways. will never cut & co back to those expensive clip joints. mary likes hers done with a clipper (likes the super short style) so I do it with the clippers like I did my dh for 30 years. wore out a couple of clippers, lol

you can buy old timey bent hairpins from the amish - nice strong ones, not those flimsy types from the big box stores

Edited by kappydell

It's about 2 inches below my shoulders so I don't have too much trouble doing "something" with it. Usually just blow dry and let 'er hang! A little mousse and some hairspray for some extra body now and then.

I get my hair cut about once a year. I just found out this year that my DIL went to beauty school in her younger days and can cut hair. She's been cutting my son's hair and I didn't even know it. I get mine cut in long layers so it looks pretty good short and also when it's growing out. I'll get DIL to cut it once in the summer and then I'll be good for a year. Works for me.

I get my hair cut about once a year. I just found out this year that my DIL went to beauty school in her younger days and can cut hair. She's been cutting my son's hair and I didn't even know it. I get mine cut in long layers so it looks pretty good short and also when it's growing out. I'll get DIL to cut it once in the summer and then I'll be good for a year. Works for me.

:thumbs: