MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Today working through the SRI index.  SRI was a magazine.  Self Reliance Illustrated.  Actually pretty good.  I keep finding myself reading instead of indexing.  Have to be firm with myself.

Anarchy, can you at least make it a more 'pastel' color, a tan or beige?  Easier on the eyes.

1 hour ago, Sarah said:

Anarchy, can you at least make it a more 'pastel' color, a tan or beige?  Easier on the eyes.

At the bottom of the page, there is a "Test Theme" that is kinda brown/tan.  (Temporary, until I get the warning page taken care of, then I will be working on getting us some new themes.)

4 hours ago, Annarchy said:

At the bottom of the page, there is a "Test Theme" that is kinda brown/tan.  (Temporary, until I get the warning page taken care of, then I will be working on getting us some new themes.)

The "OldSchoolV4" is brown and tan and pretty spiffy as well.

• Like 1

If you feel the earth move just a bit..it is Momo doing the very happy dance.  We finally have water again.  Our pipe burst underground sometime Wednesday and it took until now to get a friend with equipment to dig down four feet and find the leak.  What a relief.

Other than that we had a nice day.  Dear son and family took me to lunch for  a belated birthday meal.  It was delicious Vietnamese food. I enjoyed it.  The girls had made me homemade greeting cards and pictures.  I need much more wall space to display them!

It is nice to see we are getting things back to normal here at MrsS.  Thanks to all of those who work and maintain this site!

• Like 2

:hi:Momo. thank you for being patient with me.  It's been a learning experience.... 

Then, dealing with plumbing issues here too.  DH put the garden hose on too tight.  I tried to un-loosen it with a pipe wrench, ack!  I twisted the pipe and it began to leak... Good grief.

So, today, we cut the drywall to access the pipe, to my chagrin, the pipe continued to twist and never let go of the elbow joint.  The plumber never returned our call or showed up.  We tried to unscrew the pipe and it wouldn't budge.  We cut the pipe, inside the wall at the elbow, after purchasing a new length and elbow.  But, without water, we still need to take the elbow off the galvanized pipe and install the new pipe.  The old pipe split to the elbow....  

Then, customers showed up around 4pm, and they are still chatting.  It looks like to me, that I will need a bucket to flush tonight and as far a any water flowing, it looks like it will be tomorrow.

As long as the 1950 pipe that runs through the house will allow us to remove the elbow joint, without having to work in a 2" space in the attic, God willing, we will be able to replace the pipe and have water.

Yikes!

• Like 1

And the saga continues... still no water because of the open pipe.

Today, God willing, we will be able to get the elbow off the main pipe and replace it.  

Moving everything out of the closet, in order to reach the area the pipe comes into the house, and securing the ferrets in 1/2 the room, has given me a new design idea for my office.  :thumbs:

I'm trying to look at all of this positively.....

Sorry about your water woes Annarchy! At least you knew it was leaking when you did. Sigh, just trying to look on the bright SIDE.

Edited by Jeepers
I left off the last word. Sheeesh.

Thanks Jeepers.

Give God the glory!

We were struggling to get the elbow off the main pipe.  The extension that went outside, twisted and split instead of unscrewing.  We had to cut it off, at the elbow that connected to the main water line, inside the wall.  It seemed, no amount of force was unscrewing the elbow on the main line.  It had to be removed, because the cut piece of pipe was still in it.  We ended Friday night, around 2 am.  with the job not done.  I stuck a thimble, wrapped in teflon tape, into the pipe to slow the water down, so we could fill our 5 gallon buckets and take a shower.  The force of the water pressure shot 2 of my thimbles into the wall, before I wrapped the pipe with duct tape to keep my last one inside the pipe.  It worked and kept the water leakage down to a drip.  

Yesterday, we were tired, sore and frustrated.  I called a few plumbers, but, everyone was not willing to work on our 1950's galvanized piping.  They all suggested re-plumbing the house.  Our regular plumber, finally called back.  He was at the hospital with a family emergency/surgery.  He gave me a couple of suggestions, to tide us over until Monday, when he would try to get it taken care of. 

Still frustrated, we went back to trying to fix it.  DH worked diligently, with great brute force, and was able to twist off the elbow without damaging the main water line.

The line is fixed!  Praise God!  We have water in the house again and the spigot outside, so I can water the garden, chickens and yard.  

Other than labor, it cost us under $25.00 to fix it.

• Like 3

Yay!  So glad it is fixed!  Other plumbers just want to replumb with cheaper materials so you will need them back sooner!

I slept 9 hours and 15 minutes last night!  Probably more sleep than I have gotten in one night in several years.  I don't know why.  Not sure if I said before but my FL visit is probably postponed as the lady with the car may have to have back surgery.  I will know something more after her doc apt. April 11th.  That is the day the kids get here for their visit.  I'm not as sad as I thought (about postponement) since we will start looking for a new and bigger place sooner since I will be here!  Baby goats should be here tomorrow!  DH found the cutest little harnesses for them at a thrift shop!  Today I go to an egg hunt (I am contributing eggs, not hunting) at the lady's house who has the goats.  I should be bringing home a play pen for when they come inside.  Other than eBay photos and housework, I think and hope that is all for today!  Have a great day!!!

• Like 1

First attempt at photos of skittish little does.  I'm sure there will be more!  This is Ginger and the lower photo is Naida Mae!  They are sweet and we had them in a play pen in the house for awhile.  They seem to love their little (coop_ and run_).  Eventually they will come out in the back yard but not yet.  The dogs are intrigued!

IMG_8171.JPG

IMG_8163.JPG

Edited by snapshotmiki
adding info
  • Like 4

Glad you like it, Sarah.  

In time, we will get a "standard" Mrs.Survival page format.  Right now, all I am doing is temporary.

Had to go to the store today, to get our monthly supplies.  Some guy walked up and asked if he could take a couple pictures of me "shopping" for his college project.   Meh.. I don't care...  We chatted a little about photography and art and I went on my way to finish my list.  He followed and took a couple pics.  What ever.  You can't go anywhere anymore without someone somewhere taking a pic or video of you.  

Got groceries and came home.  Put everything away and made dinner,  Shrimp Jerusalem.  

E-mailed Mt_Rider, with notes how to force Firefox to let her in.  She said they had some sloppy cement snow and still needed to feed her critters.  Hopefully, she will be able to make it in here now.

Tomorrow, I will be working with the server people to try to get our site on a secure server.  Hopefully, that will take care of the warning once and for all.  I can hope.  :puzzledsmile:

• Like 2

Good morning, Ann!  You dh's expression was probably about like mine when Gene first came out with it!  I wanted goats when we first moved out here but now we are getting ready to move and I have doubts.  But we have goats.  Down the road if I can milk them (after breeding) and make cheese and soap, I will be happier!  They are too cute though!  And thank you for finding a way to get Mt. Rider back here!  They have snow in Colorado and we haven't even had a winter!  Have a great day!

Well, one issue down and another to go. 

Was on the phone for quite a while. We shall see how that works out. 

Worked on our monthly bookwork and taxes. 

DH caulked the hole in the wall where the pipe goes outside, before the ants found it. I still need to replace the drywall, plaster and paint the inside wall. A task for another day. 

Measured a couple boards to fix our water closet. I'll sand and paint them to match the walls. 

Now, I'm watering the yard and garden. It is still 80* at 5pm. 

Gunny is dancing around the yard with his rope toy, which we call his dead animal. He is very attached to that silly thing. As long as he stays out of the mud, I'll be happy. 

He's now much bigger than Grrr. And such a puppy. Grrr is over 10 years old and the pup drives him nuts. Lol

other than that, I am trying to figure out "what's for dinner". I have no idea at the moment. :blink:

IMG_2334.JPG

• Like 3

I didn't do much today. Was going to wash the Jeep but it rained most of the day. It's storming here now.

I had a big box to mail. I took it to UPS and they said it would arrive tomorrow afternoon. I didn't mail it until after 4:00pm. That's pretty fast going from the east side of Ohio to the west side of Indiana. It was a big box weighing around 20 pounds. It was just a few cents over $15.00 to ship. It was a big box stuffed with baby summer clothes and Easter toys. I'll bet the post office would have charged more and taken longer too.

Isn't it funny how thing turn out sometimes? After I mailed the box I came home and noticed that I had forgotten to put a little pair of sun glasses in the box. About 2-3 hours son sent me a picture of g-son with a pair of shades on. We hadn't ever mentioned sun glasses for him.

SBJ.jpg

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Awwww. It is a cutie! Wonder if it's a hen or a rooster?

Cock-a-doodle-do & its dinner. :happy0203:

12 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Yikes. sorry about the picture size up there!

Gunny looks great! How is the guy who brought him to you? I remember he had some terrible medical issues and was in the hospital.

I like your pic. 

I heard he lost part of his foot, then had a stroke. :pray: