MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I bet you're having a blast, Jeepers!

2 cups of coffee plus coconut oil pills = get off your butt and do something!  Anything!  We can't start packing since there is really no place to put packed boxes.  The one box I did pack, I literally fell over.  So I put that in the car this morning, cleaned out cleaning supplies under sink, put them in totes and put back under sink.  Cooked chicken for dog treats and cut that up and bagged.  Then I made shortbread cookies because I couldn't sit still!  Walk through is tomorrow evening at 7, then close Friday morning.  Then I can finally start packing some!  We have found a queen mattress and boxsprings for me and I have a dresser and night stand that I will get through a facebook group.  We are interested to see what the seller will be leaving in the house.  She told the realtor she would be leaving some things.

• Like 1

Woohoo!  Closed on the house this morning!  I believe I will call it "Elderberry Acre" as we have plenty of them and Fig Acre doesn't have the same ring to it  LOL  Water is on but no electric until Wednesday.  We will make do!  And finally tomorrow start packing and moving!  My Birthday is Monday so this is a great present!  I hope you all have an excellent Independence Day!

Maybe I can sleep now!

• Like 2

I had a lovely visit with my grand baby...and whoever else was there.  LOL

I got him taking his first steps with me holding on to him and I gave him his first sips from a real cup.   Ahhhhh. Life is sweet.  His little knees were getting rough so I found some baby knee pads. Dad wasn't thrilled but I put them on him anyway. They work great especially for outside crawling. I got him his first 6 pack.......... of those Puff things for babies to eat. Kind of like Cheerios only veggie and fruit flavors. He loved them. Next time I go over I'll have to teach him how to start feeding himself finger foods. He has 4 teeth and more sprouting. They are wonderful parents but they don't think far enough ahead. Of course, that's just a new grandma's opinion. It's been over 45 years since I had a baby to teach so I'm a tad rusty.  And opinionated ... :24:     It's all good. They understand. 

I love being a grandma!   :cloud9:

I just wish I lived closer.

• Like 2

Wonderful news for Miki and a fun trip for Jeepers.  :hapydancsmil:

Our Internet usage is UP in the low 90's again.....  :sigh:   We never know why it pops up.  But we're not doing much on Internet right now... :(

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Made our first run to the house today with eBay totes.  2 jeeps = 6 totes, a big box and 2 suitcases.  I'm going to do 2 runs tomorrow and DH probably 1.  He also has to measure for fencing and contact workers, not going to happen on 4th of July weekend.  We took the dogs to visit the new place today also.

Made 2 trips in my jeep today and loaded for 1 tomorrow.  Tomorrow is my birthday and I didn't want to get all sweaty first thing so I loaded ahead of time.  We pick up my bed tomorrow, hopefully and look for some other furniture that is needed.  Moving to a new house locally in the middle of summer in SW Mississippi is the best weight loss program out there!

Happy Holiday Weekend!

Happy B day MIki!  :balloons:

Well.....do y'all know HOW MANY TIMES I have rolled my ankle over to the outside while walking?  In my whole life ...thousands!  I have very VERY flexible ankles and the outside roll is common if I hit an uneven surface.  My reflexes are very quick and I go with the flow.....even to doing a tuck and roll to get my weight immediately OFF THE FOOT!  Altho the first few minutes after  these events, I'm on the floor/ground trying to take inventory and waiting for the intial PAIN to quit.....BUT I'VE NEVER ACTUALLY HAD A INJURY.  It all goes away and after being careful to step solidly for a while.....I'm fine.  :cheer: 

Today......I broke my perfect record.  Today I stepped off the waterbed to the floor....and something was in the way.  My foot was half on - half off the box and the ankle did a roll-out.  I did not break my neck in the CRASH to the floor.  I tucked up instinctively to fit into the small space between the book shelves and the closet door.  But I did not have space to get pressure immediately off the odd-angle of the foot. 

I now have an extra lump on my foot.....  :unsure:  Sheeeesh, that hurt when I put gel pack on it! 

So here's how God set up for me to have help today.  DH was at work but I'd contacted our nearby friends JUST before this mishap occurred.  N and I hadn't had a good talk in months.  I called to say we've got extra duck eggs.  So after our hour chat, her dh...W... was on his way over to pick up some eggs.   That's when I did the crash.  How's that for providence?  Course it's still a mystery why THIS TIME....I do have an injury.  :shrug:  Dunno.  God knows.

W and I decided I'd better go back with him to their house.....then assess the damage after we do Elevation/Ice for a while.  ER or wait to see...  MS sends me shocky over the dumbest things.  And it messes up my ability to assess pain.  My body both under and over reports my pain.  Which can be a real problem....when I'm alone.  The extra bump on the foot was a pretty good indicator of a problem tho.  But poor W.....he'd never seen me shocky.  He called N and she told him to just bring me home. 

N fed me and made sure I had ice.  I used the wheelchair like a knee-scooter to get to their bathroom and back.  My shocky system calmed down and the pain subsided....if I didn't put ANY weight on the foot.  :sigh:    After several hours, W took me home and he got our ucks in and fed/watered.  Let dog out the back for anything she might need.  I sat on each of the 14  steps going back up to our house.  Shut off the swamp cooler  <BBRRRRR!>  with a long stick instead of climbing up on THAT bed again.  Of all things about MS....I can be very grateful for constant practice for adaptions. 

But I gotta say....I didn't have a protocol for actually getting injured ...alone.  Except...I did have the phone in my pocket.  :) 

MtRider  ....we'll see what this looks like tomorrow.  DH is home now...talking "ligaments"...and weeks of recovery time.  ....I'm not whining ...yet.  :buttercup:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I've done that before, only once (yet) with an injury.  But I had a Christmas photo shoot later at a public venue.  Had to get a fellow photographer to fill in cause I could put no weight at all on it.  I feel your pain!!!  And it was weeks of being completely off of it!  An old fashioned uneven cobbled brick street was the culprit.  I hope you will stay off it as best you can and that you feel better soon, Mt. Rider!!!

:balloons:   HAPPY BIRTHDAY SNAPSHOTMIKI  :balloons:

Hope that ankle is doing better today, Mt.Rider. You never know when one will give out on you. Sometimes with no warning at all. Once my uncle stepped out of his car and his ankle broke. He had never had any prior problems with it.    :scratchhead:

• Like 1

~*~*~*~  MIKI  ~*~*~*~

:band:   :bdaycake:   :band2:

Well day 2 and DH doesn't think any bone is out of place and certainly nothing is broken.  :amen:  DH says that's the good news.  Very little discoloration in the area.  However, due to the way it rolled severely outward and slipped off 3" to the floor...with my weight bearing down on it..... other leg hanging out doing nothing... :sassing:   Ligament damage will take a while to heal.  Minimum zero weight-bearing is 2 wks....  8 wks estimate to recovery.  {that's the bad news!}

Yanno.....This crutches thing was a whole lot easier 35 yrs ago.  :imoksmiley:  I am very thankful that I have two good knees.  Cuz sometimes it's easier to crawl on  hands&knees or walk on knees.  Like when I have to carry something.  The trick is getting down...then back up.  {without crashing}  

I had breakfast in bed...I went to living room recliner for lunch.  DH is home today but works Tues and Thurs.  This is going to be wearing on both of us. 

I slept well last nite...waking only my usual amount and going back to sleep.  A little more pain today.  Foot still likes ice/elevation.  Begins to thrum  [as opposed to a more painful 'THROB'] when it's not elevated. 

Let me tell you how I do the gel packs....in case someone else gets in this non-ambulatory fix.  I have next to bed [hospital bed with lifting feet is so very handy right now]....a bag with a large sealed ice pack.  I keep a gel pack on either side of the ice pack and one on my foot.  I let the gel pack get warm before changing it out for a cold one.  The ice keeps the gel packs very cold.  And ....I don't have to get up to get them from the kitchen [freezer]!!!  :thumbs:  The large ice pack will last most of the day.  Gel packs are much better against the injury but warm up pretty quick.

Discovered I need a solid disability bar next to toilet!  Never needed one before.....  Have not been this non-ambulatory - despite all my weakness/dizzy/disfunctional muscles & coordination.  This.....is a new level.  But due to all that, I'm pretty well set up for being in bed already.

I SINCERELY HOPE AND PRAY that neither of my folks have an injury to foot/leg/hip!!!!!!  :o   This one-legged up and down takes a lot of strength!  Thankfully I have good flexibility.....but unreliable coordination.  Uff tah!

At least the pointy bump has disappeared.  And the rounded lump is gone too.  There is only an area of slightly raised swelling on the outside of L foot.  So.....ice/elevation have been working!  :happy0203: 

MtRider  ...this too shall pass  :amen:

• Like 1

Happy Birthday Miki!

Glad nothing is broken, Mt_Rider.

Been busy around here, end of month paperwork etc.

This year's seed harvest is abundant.  Working on collecting as much as I can.

We've been watching the fire crews fly over our house all week.  The SW Coordination Center says there are 12 fires in AZ.  Hopefully, after today, there won't be any more.

Fire2.PNG

Fire1.PNG

Wow, Annarchy! AZ and Utah have had it BAD!  :pray:

Thus far, CO has only dealt with one major fire ....that I've heard of.  Durango.  Putting out LOTS of small fires before they get big tho.  And we're getting very dry.  Much of the state hasn't yet gotten good enough rain.  Near by us, they had flooding in the streets.  But we're crispy.  I HATE CRISPY ON THE 4TH OF JULY!  :behindsofa:  Too many idiots that don't know about SW wildfire conditions.  We've had nice cool weather for several days ...[that means clouds]....but no rain.  But our village festival is today and there HAS to be a thunderstorm every year for that.  My mom and I have a tradition of slipping over there for a hot dog lunch and some kettle corn.  We meander slowly and see the vendors and the other activities.  Occasionally we'll actually buy something besides food/drink. 

:sigh:  My foot just blew our chance to do this year.  :shrug:

Yeah....about this foot thing......  :0327: Yesterday was EXHAUSTING!  By bedtime DH and I realized we needed a new plan.  Crutches and crawling were killing me!  I'm too upper body weak for that muscle motion. Too MS weak in general.  Falling again is contra-indicated. [ ya THINK? ]    Literally kneeling on the floor of my bedroom unable to HOIST with arms/shoulders to get back up on bed after crawling from bathroom for the 18th time.  Oye!  Never did have much upper body strength.  No way for Dan to lift me either.  So I told him to get the small [sturdy] chair and I could hoist to that, then stand and get on bed.  Really stretching my
MS-honed adaptability talents. 

So we cleared some stuff [messed up house further] in my pathways and tied my wheelchair arm rests closer together....so that it cannot unfold completely.  I can still fit my knee on the sling seat....but it's narrow to fit thru doors and our tiny house.  Tah-dah....knee-scooter! :happy0203: Perfect...like I was using it at N/W's house the first day.  But their house is like...8X bigger.  Knee-scootering is not nearly as wearing on me....and a lot safer.  I'm a 25 year wheelie-user.   So DH going to work today does not seem so daunting now that I believe I can get around.  Whew!  Doing fine.  :amen:

Foot progress:  Bruised on the entire outside half of that L foot now.  Muted, cuz I don't bruise much, generally.  But getting more colorful than just light grey. :rolleyes: Still thanking God that He provided N/W to be there for me that day!!!   :lol:  Literally BE THERE....right outside my window to get eggs! 

Please pray for DH....his strength and stamina.  He has to work and come home late in the dark to feed animals.  He's cooking ahead [crockpot] so he can eat tonite.  Had to do own breakfast and mine...and his lunch and all of the things he usually does.  He's no "spring chicken" anymore and this will wear him down rapidly too.  But hopefully with me having better mobility within the house, I can do more.  Able to fold laundry and put away [sort of] this morning.  But he has to bring downstairs and put thru the machines and bring it up.  A lot on him.  :pray:  Hopefully I can begin to cook with the 3-wheel chair I have for kitchen use. 
But at least now we're feeling OK for me to be alone today  :amen:

MtRider  Happy 4h everyone :americanflag:
Edited by Mt_Rider

My foot is hurting with sympathy pains right now..owwie.

It has rained most of the day here which is fine with me since we have no outdoor activities planned.  It also makes me feel safer knowing the ground is wet since alot of folks shoot fireworks around here and I won't have to worry about a dry field getting set on fire.

I did cook alot of DH's favorite foods since I want to keep him from losing any more weight.  Since I am on a diet it is really testing my willpower. We smoked some ribs. I made a batch of potato salad, some really good baked beans and a pineapple upside down cake.  Tomorrow I am making a big batch of stuffed peppers and freezing most of them.  We are having another bumper crop of green peppers again this year.

I got an estimate on a badly needed new roof. YIKES!

I am trying to keep my cool..both physically and mentally right now..lol.

Hope you all enjoy your 4th!

Product Details

This is a knee scooter.  I finally looked them up.....hadn't even seen one but heard about it 10 yrs ago.  My MO friend used one after foot surgery this spring too.  Looks good!

Here is a newer concept.  Good for person of good balance.  Would work for me but I'd use two cane [one of them my seat cane] to make sure I didn't lose balance. 

iWALKFree Hand Free Crutch

http://iwalk-free.com/crutches/

So seriously.....those of us who are older with less OOOMPH than we once had....  Are you really ready if a foot or leg injury took out your mobility.  Take a look around your house.  Can you get thru with a rented wheelchair?  [or one from Goodwill?]  Despite not being able to use crutches repeatedly, I was SO glad I'd picked up a pair at Goodwill years ago.  [....even more glad I could direct W to where they were hiding in my full basement...LOL ]  When prepping for any HooeyHitsFan.....don't forget durable medical!!! 

And 10X more bandage/wound care materials than you'd ever believe possible to use up.  Large wounds, as we discovered with DD1's nasty injury years ago, use SO MUCH!

MtRider  ....usuage on my Internet is still in 87% so I'm not on much till we get it down again.  :buttercup:

Ugh. I had to get another blood draw today. My sugar was elevated on the last one. I took it myself this morning and while it was in the pre diabetic area, it wasn't in the diabetic stage. 93 isn't great but it wasn't over that magical 100 mark.  Whatever.  :rolleyes: 

At least I didn't get woozy this time. I just know they are going to want to call me back in and talk about going on yet another med.

And what is it with underwear these days. I came home from the doctor today and there are two holes in the front of my drawers and a little hole in my sock. Both look moth eaten. Neither one is that old. I think they have been washed one time. Fruit of the loom had better step up their game.

Ick .....increasing medical issues is the part of acheiving senior status that is the least fun.  :(  Glad the blood draw went better this time!!!

Agree on the undies!  Had to quick crawl to my room and change before going with W the other day.....in case I might have to go to ER.  :ashamed0002:  Sheesh! 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:   

Went to Lowe's and spent big bucks on chain link fence and all the doodads that requires.  Hopefully it will go in either this weekend or Monday.  Found a bed for the guest room which is good as we already have family stopping on July 19th.  Hope we will be in by then!  NO packing and moving today, just cooked some pork chops and did laundry after we got home.  Tomorrow, I hope to do much packing, unpacking and repeat!

How is your  foot today Mt. Rider?

Dr. office called about my blood test. Sigh. Sugar still elevated. I knew they wound say that. I took it first thing this morning and it was at a 93 again. So, I'm not really open to taking meds. Also my vitamin B-6 and B-12 were low. I had stopped taking the Centrum because it said it could interfere with one of the meds I take. Also because they are as big as horse pills. I don't remember which med. Maybe the thyroid one. Anyway, they want me to come in for a discussion and to set up taking vitamin shots. Unless I'm severely low (and I mean really low) that isn't going to happen. Not only because of the shots involved but because of the expense. I'm thinking some OTC vitamins will work. We'll see. Suppose I'll make an appointment soon. Still have to schedule a mammogram. My eyes need checked too. Fine summer this is turning out to be.

"Fine summer...."  Yeah...a few curve balls and it whacks a lot of things outta line... Hmph!

My foot is coming along.  The rest of me is dragging the foot along and the rest of me is gettin' TIRED!  :0327:

And my wheelchair [squinched up to be a knee scooter] has one wheel that keeps going flat.  Last nite DH pumped it up as far as one can with hand pump and it was flat again this morning.  So he took the measurements and hopefully was able to find a new inner tube.  I HAD one but DH and I are not remembering history the same.  He thinks he used that....likely on the wheel that's still holding air.  I don't remember that but neither of us has great recall anymore.  KWIM?  Hmph!

So it will be a LOT less strenuous to scooter along if both big wheels have fully inflated tires!!!!  Working on that...  DH put elastic tape across the areas of my foot with damaged ligaments.  It acts as a guard to stretch but not too far when I move my foot.  I've been very attentive....NOT putting weight on it.  But setting the rim of heel on the floor to help other foot balance [during any number of odd maneuvers to get around this tiny house] has been ok and very helpful.  I do still use crawling......

...... :buttercup:  Last nite, for instance.  Long after DH is snoring, I creep quietly out to use bathroom one more time before sleeping.  Don't want to rattle/crash the wheelchair cum knee scooter at that time....Shhhhhh!  So on knees or on all 4's....I manage to hit every squeaky board between bathroom and back.  About 12 feet.  Just as I was entering bedroom again, I hear the cat in living room.  She's making that "I'm gonna puke" gargle.  :runcirclsmiley2:OK....how to I get to her in time to rush her off the carpet and onto the bathroom linoleum?  So I scuttled as fast as an older crawling person can go.  Grabbed cat and ....oh good!  The plastic entrance mat is right there.  Hold cat till the deed is done...on easily cleaned plastic, not carpet.  {lovely thots before bed}  Then clean up and bag the business with what's available right to hand.  Made sure that got off with DH to trash today.    

:laughkick:    I just had a vision of me roaring onto the scene last nite with my squawking/wavering wheelchair.....cat would have RUN and ....well, that scene doesn't end well.  Crawling worked out just fine and DH didn't have to find {step in?} something this morning.  But hey, my cat is officially 17 YEARS OLD today.  :happyBD:      :wub:   ....even if her old self doesn't have the best digestive system anymore.  Oye!

MtRider  ...gotta get off Internet.  Usage 90.3%  ACK!  HOW?????  :motz_6: 

Edited by Mt_Rider

After that last post on Thursday.....the dog came in from 'playing' in the goat area and her yard.  Joined by a gate.  I'd let her out to much larger goat area cuz I can't take her anywhere.  DH was working and comes home so late.  So she did her business and I should have brought her in...cuz she finds things to 'taste'.  When she came in, she ate some of her food....and it came right back up. RALPH!  :gaah::gaah:  :gaah: Massive job cleaning that.  Had to do it in stages with rest breaks...cuz she's XXL dog.  XXL removal project.  Then I get the bright idea to run the vacuum around.....did I mention XXL has finally started the shed of her winter undercoat?  Sheeesh.  But I just sat in various chairs and zoomed vacuum back and forth in all directions.  It worked fine.  Used energy tho.  And didn't have my "knee scooter" till we get innertube fixed/replaced.  Probably a bad idea to waste the energy but hey...the floor looked better.  Even with a large old towel marking a newly wet/scrubbed section of the carpet.  <_<

Uggg!  Friday was a hard day.  My foot was fine....slowly healing.  But I was pretty sore from earlier exertions (now what happened to my R-click spell-chek?).  I woke up and knee-walked to bathroom.  After I came back, saw that cat had gone to eat some of the greens by my window....and proceeded across my whole bed puking.  :wacko:  Normally I try to keep the top bedspread [easily washed] pulled up over everything...JIC.   But the whole bed was torn up that nite and....I'd just had to hustle to bathroom.  Even the down comforter [that I'm rolling in a log at end of bed to keep blankets lifted off the foot] got it.  Lifted it out of it's purple cover and sent that to wash.  Wiped off what had seeped thru...not much.  Same with the sheets covering the 1" memory foam pad.  To wash that, DH got bucket and a big pitcher full of water.  Poke the part of pad that got it, down into empty bucket and pour water thru the pad into bucket.  Don't have a bathtub to work with and it was a very small spot.  Squeeze water out.  Then DH took that out to porch to dry.  All of this malarky takes time and ....energy!  Both of us!  :0327:  Seriously...3 pukes within 36 hrs????  Glad it wasn't a work day for DH!!!

DH ....after extra laundry duties....got the new inner tube into my wheelchair and it was a relief to use that again!  :cheer:  All my muscles have begun to complain loudly at the unexpected load on them. But I absolutely HAD to wash my hair.  I'd worn in it braids the day before....something not seen in recent decades.  :buttercup: Got it outta my way tho.  DH put a chair in shower and held the showerhead hose for me to use as needed.  Went pretty smoothly but this hair is down to my waist and thick.  This is why I'd like to voyage to far regions [the town] and get it cut somewhat.   :shrug:   Something else yet undone.  I even dried it cuz it was a chilly day!

Stayed in bed....half made cuz stuff drying...a lot that day.  DH cooking to get ahead on meals.  He was home on Sat too.  Every little thing that happens or has to be done becomes a big procedure.  Have spent a lot of time reading.  Poor DH is running in circles, trying to set up for the days he's at work.  Good thing we don't have lawn to mow like most of y'all.  Between horses/goat and rocks....that isn't a chore in CO.  Welllll....my neighbor uses his hand mower to cut the ditches and his 2 pastures.  He lets neighbor's horses in there too but.....  :wacko:  He's trying to cut before weeds spread seed....I think.  :scratchhead:  But he's mowed AFTER the weeds set their seeds too....so I'm not sure. 

Last nite, after doing dishes, DH was outside on porch, taking a break from cooking, etc.  I was on couch on phone.  I saw smoke coming up from cast iron fry pan on stove.  He pulled my frequent trick of washing it...putting it on stove to dry before wiping oily rag over it.  AND forgetting the stove's on!  Smoked the seasoning right off.  :(  I raced my wheelchair over and got it off burner.  He saw in the window and ran in to remove stinky thing to outside to cool.  I hung up from talking so we could turn fans on high, etc.  Blow the stink outside.  Guess I'll be making popcorn in the pan to season it again. 

This morning I'm in pain.  Not a lot but it's sending my nervous system into a hissy fit.  :groooansmileyf:Very shakey....twittering....jittering....ACK!   :cheeky-smiley-067: I slept wrong for the foot last nite.  Too much pressure in the wrong way.  Woke very uncomforable.  DH re-taped it and I'm sitting, holding still.  It's calming down and so is nervous system, slowly.  DH is buzzing around, trying to set everything up and get ready for work.  Usually I've been able to cook breakfast and get his lunch packed.  Not just now.  :(  Other than excess critter-puking, all is normal around here but with just my foot out....it's throwing everything off.  Course MS makes my energy plummet and that's causing a lot of the problem.  :unsure:   That and aging.  We're not that old but noticeable. 

MtRider ....usage down to 86.7%.....  :buttercup:    :offtobed:

Seeesh Mt. Rider. What a time you've been having of it lately. One 'little' thing goes wrong and it throws the whole shebang off.

I used to have hair down to my butt too. And that's what it was a pain in. Funny thing was, I always kept it pulled back or put up so it looked like I had short hair anyway. I finally got it cut short decades ago and haven't looked back since. When I say short I mean short for me. I still keep it shoulder length and cut in long layers. My hair grows fast but with the layers in it, I only have to get it cut 1-2 a year. My arthritic neck appreciates it too I imagine.

Could someone else be hacking into your internet usage? I don't know how your setup is out there. Even if I did I probably wouldn't understand it.  :buttercup:

Edited by Jeepers
Forgot to add a thought