MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Just now, Jeepers said:

Ugh, I hate changing companies and learning new stuff that I'm not really interested in. My company keeps wanting to change my plan saying I can get it a couple of dollars cheaper. Not worth the headache to me. I also know what they are up to. They want to get rid of my landline and make it digital.

I had a similar situation Jeepers. I moved within the same apt complex. When I called to transfer my phone service to the new location I also inquired about adding internet. My phone was supposed to be transferred and usable on Monday. No dial tone. I gave it till Tues. No dial tone. I went to the office to use their phone to call AT&T to find out why I didn't have a dial tone as promised.

I have a hard time hearing frequencies in the normal conversation spectrum, and had recently acquired hearing aids. So, I am in the office, with "office sounds" going on -- printers, phones ringing, conversations, etc --while I am on the phone trying to straighten out why I don't have a dial tone. On top of that, the  customer service rep is either talking too fast or not into the microphone, or....................

At any rate, I am having a hard time making her understand the issue. I finally get connected to repair service because I finally gave up trying to explain that they were supposed to transfer service and just reported the issue as being "no dial tone." 

So, they send someone out to check it. They sent them to the OLD apt because the trouble ticket still had my phone service as being connected there. Fortunately, my old neighbors saw him and gave him my new address. He shows up and has to create a new connection out at "the box." Yay! Dial tone! I have my hard-wired telephone service back again.          Until Thursday. :o

Another tech comes out Thurs to hook up my internet. It is a wi-fi router that is hard-wire connected to the telephone jack on the wall. He is about to leave and I ask him, "Where do I plug in my phone?"  He says, "You don't have phone service." I say, "What do you mean, I don't have phone service?" He says his order says nothing about phone service! I say, "I want my phone service back." He says to give me a few minutes to check with the office. He comes back in and plugs my phone cord into the wi-fi router!

I insist I want my hard-wired phone back. He says they don't "do" hard-wired connections anymore. Everyone/everything is digital! We hassled a little bit and I finally decided to give up on arguing with him and to call AT&T the next day.

Long story short. I no longer have a hard-wired telephone. My phone is plugged into the router. If the power goes out, so does my phone. The AT&T rep suggest that I buy a battery back-up in case of a power failure!!!

Not happy about the phone. But hey, I have internet!!! :D

OH MY YES MIDNIGHTMOM!   Oops, sorry for yelling but you were telling my story too. And with AT&T.

A couple of years ago I was asking something about my phone and they told me then that no one was offering the land lines any more. Everything was going digital. I backed out of the door very slowly. I still have mine but I don't know for how long.

The last time I was in there I had a billing issue. I don't remember what it was but it was legit. I owed them $0.03. Yep, they sent out a bill for 3 cents. Stamp, paper, envelopes cost them more than that. I went in to pay it and they said they didn't accept cash. Oh Lawsy. I had to either pay with a check or credit card. If I didn't pay it, I'd accrue a $5.00 late payment. I wish I would have had my checkbook with me so they would have had to wait for it to clear at the bank but all I had was my credit card. And three pennies.

I can't hear worth a crap any more either. And so many people don't face me when I talk to them it makes it doubly hard to hear. I must be ugly.

And is it just me or are female voices getting higher? Some of these young whippersnappers sound like they've swallowed a balloon full of helium. Grates on my last nerve. I'd better shut up now 'cause you know I could go on and on... :D

I have loss of different frequencies in each ear. The right one just doesn't hear well; the left one has loss in the human voice frequencies, most notably when men are talking. (Who wants to hear what they have to say anyway? :grinning-smiley-044: )

AT&T just sent me a refund check for the balance remaining on my old account: 58 cents! You bet your bottom dollar I cashed it. I even gave the teller 2 cents.....I hate the new pennies--didn't want to get any back.

• Like 2

NOt sure if it is still true but I believe you cannot use a fax machine with a digital connection. 

Good morning!  Feel like I was hit by a truck!  Now I have two little dogs trying to push me off the bed.  I will have to be more assertive in my sleeping position!  Off to the races!

AT&T is that way.

MIL was told, when she renewed her DirecTV, that she HAD to have internet service.  They convinced her that "everyone" has it now and that's the way they do things.  Then, they disconnected her land line, connected it to the modem.  She was OK for a day or two, until, their answering service answered her phone before her land line phone could pick it up.  She does not know and does not want to know, how to get her messages.  To make matters worse, she called them, they told her she had to have it that way, including call forwarding (where they were sending her calls, neither one of us know), and made her phone number a "blocked" number.  When she tried to call her doctor, plumber, and pharmacy, they would not answer the calls, and she was getting a recording that her number was blocked!  I spent hours on hold, then another hour with AT&T trying to get "just the basic" phone service.  She has an answering machine and does not have a smart phone or computer.  How stupid are those people? 

We have 2 land lines in our house.  And that is the way it is going to stay!  Our home #, which we've had over 30 years, and our business #.  The business must have a land line, because of the machines we use. 

Pulled the last of our beets, after collecting the last of the seeds, filled a 5 gallon bucket with 15 beets.  2 years old and huge, I want to can them.  IDK how they are going to taste. I am hoping to harvest the last of the carrots later this week.  Canning them should make the softer (?).

I hope your party goes well Ambergris and that your back gets better soon.

Miki, Gunny comes in and sticks his huge nose in my face and just sits there until I move, breathing heavy.  Ack, not fun waking up to hot dog breath.   

2 hours ago, Annarchy said:

AT&T is that way.

MIL was told, when she renewed her DirecTV, that she HAD to have internet service.  They convinced her that "everyone" has it now and that's the way they do things.  Then, they disconnected her land line, connected it to the modem.  She was OK for a day or two, until, their answering service answered her phone before her land line phone could pick it up.  She does not know and does not want to know, how to get her messages. 

Once my "new" phone was connected and BEFORE the tech left, I used my pre-paid flip phone to call myself. It went to a voice-mail answering system! I was NOT happy with that because my telephone has a built-in answering machine! The solution to the problem was rather simple, but not one I would have known if I hadn't caught it while the tech was here. He simply set the number of rings before answering to be one more than the set up I had for MY phone. (I have my phone set to go to the answering machine function after 4 rings. He set the digital answering machine to pick up after 6 rings. Maybe your MIL can call AT&T and ask them how she can change that so her own phone will be the default answering device. 

• Like 1

Party went fine.  Way too much food, as usual.  

But my son forgot to take the car back out and fill it up yesterday, so I looked down this morning and realized I wasn't going to make it in.  (I hate seeing the bottom eighth of the tank anyway!) So I got gas, and realized I could operate the nozzle! When I tried yesterday, my hands wouldn't work right and the gnome went to stabbing me again.  I feel just so much better today, it's crazy.

Which is particularly good because the moving schedule was condensed.  They were supposed to tell me yesterday.  Today I found out I was losing my desk this morning (instead of tomorrow morning) when the guys were standing in the hallway outside my office.  Luckily, I'd packed most of it yesterday so I could focus on party stuff today.  Finished up while they were getting the credenza (which was SUPPOSED to disappear today) wrangled out the doors.

• Like 1

I finally made it to Wal-Mart today. I got everything on my list except for the blood sugar control solution. I can't find the stuff for my monitor anywhere. Not even on line. I have a number to call tomorrow. It isn't really important but since I saw it mentioned on their Youtube video, I thought it would be a good idea to check it out.

Wal-Mart has their back to school stuff out. I don't know about sales but they had tons of stuff. I even found a small zippered pencil case like we used to have back in the old days. I've been looking for one for years. I even tried the office supply stores. I've wanted one to keep my stamps, labels and checkbook in so they are all together and I can just grab it and do my bills. It was all of $0.97. I also got an accordion folder with 5 pockets in it to keep all of my insurance and Medi-care info in. Also the extra pocket I'll use for Social Security stuff next year. That's one little bit of a whole lot of info I now have organized.

They had the cutest little Ball canning jars. They are just for decoration. If I wasn't saving my empty grocery store Starbucks  Frappuccino bottles I would have bought a couple of 4 packs to start making homemade extracts in. Now that I look at my bottles I'm wondering if they are too big. They are 9.5 ounces. That might be a lot of vanilla etc. extract at one time. They are nice milk bottle shaped and the label peels off pretty easily. I guess extract lasts forever though, huh?

http://www.freshpreserving.com/ball-4-oz.-mini-storage-jar-4-count-1036850.html#gclid=CODqkOqsqNUCFUc7gQodu6gD7Q&kwid=303700740464x42133256099x805919448&start=3

Edited by Jeepers
I posted the picture instead of the website.

Quickly....as we have lightning coming in ...again. 

Tues and Wed DH was in the ER.  Thot cardiac but it isn't.  Crushing pain coming from a blood clot in lung.  It's small and after 6 months of blood thinner, they expect him to be fine...and not contine with rat poison.  :)  Also has to begin meds for high blood pressure.....and it went VERY high ...212 over 186 ???  But that was associated with his intense pain and lack of oxygen.  Pain prevented him from getting a breath so.....he was a mystery package when we came in.  Looong day.  Kept him in 'observation unit' [not actually checked in to hospital] overnite.  I drove in dark/rain a short way to my folks house to sleep.  I slept one hour. 

Gotta go.

MtRider

Got some things done....cleaned fish, weeded garden, got groceries and finally (just for fun) went to the water ski show until it got rained out, that is!  Our city has a big team and free shows twice a week.  We go cheer them on, its our civic duty, of course...

IMG_3059.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3092.JPG

• Like 4

Wow Kappy...pics of those skiers dropped my mouth open.  HOW DO THEY DO THAT?? 

Okay...no lightning tonite.  We've had some massive storms the past two days.  Walking in rushing water over ankle level .....in grocery store parking lot.  Getting the scripts filled for DH yesterday.  Glad I had on Croc type shoes....tho I had to empty them.  Mountain terrain moves a lot of water fast!

Yeah...DH's health...scary stuff.  Thanks for prayers.  On day two, it was a lot of waiting for hospital to get about 6 scripts for him to fill.  He was pain-free and doing well....tho not as cognitively accurate as he thot.  He turned down the pain meds cuz he thot the muscle relaxers would work.  I don't think we were out of the parking lot before he began losing pain management.  So in pouring down rain/vicious lightning....two stores for the meds and a stop for gas.  [he had to tell me how to work the newer gas pumps....I haven't done it in years.]  Meanwhile he's in terrible pain.  Once we had more of the muscle relaxers, I pulled into a parking spot and got him to take one immediately.  But what had kept him comfortable laying in hospital bed or even sitting upright in a chair.....did NOT keep him out of pain at all while riding in car/walking in stores.  Aiiieeee! 

Did I ever mention I don't really drive much?  How 'bout pouring rain and thru the 'pass' at highway speeds?  Nope, if I ever MUST drive that section, I take the very very winding back road.  In his condition, I prayed and drove the highway.  Actually, DH's car drives pretty good.  I oversteer that tiny steering wheel....cuz I drive a TRUCK!  LOL  Okay....so after getting us home quite safely, thankyouverymuch :curtsey:  OBVIOUSLY God was helping!  :amen:

I was walking my poor sore feet off....DH could barely move himself.  Unloading car at home...had picked up a few groceries while waiting for meds to be filled.  But I did it between rain downpours.  Meanwhile DH is roaming from chair to bed to my hospital bed to bench on porch.  The latter was least painful but the storms drove him inside.  Pain NOT at manageable levels.   I thot we were going to end up back in ER.  Then I called the ER and explained that he's not maintaining pain at all.  Nurse from that day suggested:

Aleve OR Ibuprofen [Nuprin]  alternating with Tylenol.  [or generic equivelents].  Do not mix Aleve and Ibuprophen.  Choose one to go with the Tylenol [aka: acetaminophen]

Therapeutic doses are:

Tylenol / acetaminophen....One (500 mg) every 4 hours - around the clock

with either:

Aleve / noproxen sodium ....Two (220 mg) every 12 hours

OR

Nuprin / Ibuprofen ..... Four (200 mg) every 6 hours

What great information that is!  Now you must check out what I put there for yourself....cuz it's medical information and we don't guarantee medical info on MrsS....etc ...disclaimer. 

So of course as a prepper in good standing on MrsS....when the RN on phone asked me what OverTheCounter meds we had to work with,....my answer was, of course,  "ALL of them!"  And finally DH was curled up in his bed and sleeping.  Slept from 7pm -1am....despite me and dog coming in and out with chores.  Despite THUNDER AND DOWNPOUR.  Despite our wonderful friends N/W bringing in supper.  :feedme:   Did I mention I'd missed a lot of meals in those two days.  Granola bars and DH was feeding me beef jerky while I drove us home.  I was gettin' the shakes! 

Besides a lot of God-Provisions like close parking space BOTH DAYS!.....we had some serious backup.  One couple came down the first evening to open duckie door and they thot our ducks were so cute rushing off pond to march right into safety of duck house.  :lol:  This batch is well trained....and we've had predators lurking.  Our friends over the hill got home later and W was able to let Koa out and put goat into her house.  He returned Wed morning to let ducks out to pond, let goat out and Koa into back yard for RUN AROUND and business.  Cat was content in my room cuz I rushed to put litter box/food/water in there before we left.  It's HARD to be suddenly gone when you have a zoo!!!   W is one of Koa's familiar people and they've had key to our house all along. 

Self sufficiency is great but ....sometimes you both go down at once and leaves you scrambling.  DD1 actually considered flying out to help drive and such....as I did for 6 wks after her very serious accident years ago.  But she's days from beginning another year of school teaching.  But the thot was great.  :wub:

I got 7 hrs of sleep.....but hope to increase that.  DH got a lot of sleep, waking to take meds.  I laid them out with papers....7:30 Thurs pm ____  7:30 Fri am ____ etc.  For each type cuz it's too confusing when you're already wiped out.  It's really helping.  But taking up all my kitchen table space.  :rolleyes:

He's been pain managed all day.  Starts to bother him but then it's near time to take the next pill.  But since he didn't have a primary doctor [never needed one] he's got appointment in 20 days.  But the muscle relaxer is going to run out before then....so pray we can solve that problem.  Pray for his pain and for that blood clot to dissolve nicely.  Pray that the meds will now control his high blood pressure too. 

Thanks y'all

MtRider  .... :offtobed:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

Well....frankly, neither did we!  :o  Tho we are getting older, he did seem to have way less energy than he should.  Kept needind naps.  He thot he was keeping an eye on the blood pressure.  But it was wearing him down. 

The blood clot in lung had just happened, of course.  THAT lets you know rather quickly. With pain and you can't breathe.  DD1 just dropped in the shower one morning.  Still so thankful to God that DD2 hadn't left for work yet that day!!!!   But she had lots of clots.  Sometimes they can't figure out WHY they occur.  :behindsofa:

Thanks for prayer!  We're getting on one step at a time.  He's sleeping...got up for meds earlier.  Don't know how long he was up so I'm hesitating to go out and feed.  Cuz dog will make noise when she gets up ...wanting to come with me.  Tiny house has disadvantages.  But the heat is increasing as I wait... 

MtRider  ....thanking God for many things.  Thanking y'all too, for just being here to talk to.  :grouphug:

• Like 2

:pray: Mt_Rider. 

Also that God will give you strength, currage and peace as you deal with the stress. 

I know since my DH had his heart issues, I worry when he doesn't look like he is feeling well. He doesn't like to say anything. I guess he knows I worry. Thankfully his heart doesn't act up very often, just a couple of times this year and his emergency meds have brought his heart back to normal beating quickly. I cringe when I have to do the artery maneuver on him. 

I would be very leery of taking more than three Naprosyn per day.  Keep an eye on the color of his pee.  Try some Golden Paste to help with the pain and inflammation.

On 7/26/2017 at 11:36 AM, Annarchy said:

We have 2 land lines in our house.  And that is the way it is going to stay!  Our home #, which we've had over 30 years, and our business #.  The business must have a land line, because of the machines we use. 

The business must have a land line, regardless of machines.  State law here. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Ambergris said:

I would be very leery of taking more than three Naprosyn per day.  Keep an eye on the color of his pee.  Try some Golden Paste to help with the pain and inflammation.

Ambergris....which one is "Naprosyn"?  Aleve is "noproxen" and is 2/day.  What color would be a bad indication? 

Hoping that the severity of the pain will be diminishing.  This is day five.  Seems like the day adrenalin wore off and he's fatigued!  :0327: Still insisted on dropping stuff off at library...picking up milk/bread...and mail from Post Office and our rural box.  But I insisted on driving.  After a while, his reason caught up and he saw what I'd seen easily.  {God....You have to help me help him!}  We grabbed Subway ...anytime we can eliminate me doing something, I'm for it!  Eat sandwich.  Throw away wrappers.  Done! 

Friend from church dropped off supper last nite.  :yum3:  So grateful for these blessings!  We've got plenty of food but the energy in preparing it..oye!  Both of us getting good sleep.  Doing chores together now...that's helping.  He's taking dog for walks.  I began to overheat doing morning chores yesterday.  Took refuge in basement...stripped off clothes and DH got gel pack from basement freezer.  Episode over quickly.  

Doggie Dearest was bouncing around crazy when friend dropped off supper.....AND BOUNCED ON MY SORE FOOT!  :gaah:   Nice, Miz.Helpful!  <_<

I'm posting a prayer request in Streams....a tragedy for members of our church.  :(

MtRider ....whew, I feel like I'm permanently tired ....and brain-addled! I think I'm missing days....     :imoksmiley: 

Edited by Mt_Rider

The blue pills.  The dosage is either two in the morning and one at night, or vice versa.  I take one in the morning and one more later if it's a bad day, and one at night--unless it's been a very, very bad day.  I understand an overdose can hurt both kidney and liver.

I had to look up Naprosyn. It's:  "Brands: Midol, Aleve, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Anaprox, Ec-Naprosyn, Select, and Rugby." Here is a website about it:  https://www.drugs.com/naprosyn.html

The last time I went to the doctor they wanted an update of all the meds I take including OTC and vitamins etc. I told her I take an average of 4-6 Aleve a week. Some weeks not any. Then I remembered it was Advil I take not Aleve and she said I could take more Advil than I can Aleve. She told me the numbers but since I don't take Aleve I didn't really pay attention. All I know is you can take more (as in more often) of the Advil than you can Aleve. And, that's probably no help to anyone but me.

So, now that we are finally kind of getting settled in (except for picture hanging and clocks and such), I am going to FL next Friday with a friend to help another of her friends move back up this way--well to Northern Louisiana.  It's only for a week and it's going to be hot!  But I will still be able to go in October or November for a couple of weeks if it is possible at that time.  I had a list of things to pack and now I don't know where it is.  I think I should look for that first!  But I should get to the beach at least once!

• Like 1