MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

yes, mt rider....the perseid meteor showers are right now....they are an annual event, but usually it is too cloudy for us to see.  

glad you got to.  More meteors in early Oct (around the 3rd or 5th I think...) the Leonids in the constellation of (what else) Leo.

There are 3 or 4 annual showers, but these are the only two I remember now (I learned them way back in 1966, so there has been some 'brain slippage'....) 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

It was no fun for me, Mt. Rider!  Wonder if I can be a minimalist and be a prepper!  LOL

THAT, Miki, is my dilemma EXACTLY!  :scratchhead: 

Prepping.....livestock/pets.....  :busted:  and well, a touch of packrat [prepping-type packrat tho!]  :rolleyes:

MtRider  :sigh:  and moving again looms on the horizon... 

• Like 1

:pray: for everyone. 

Went swimming with a friend. Gunny dove completely underwater for over 10 seconds!  He was trying to get the plastic bottle he found floating, that he'd chewed too many holes in. He'd grab it, throw it up and pounce on it. He's such a puppy!

We got to see a small herd of wild horses. A stallion, 2 females and a colt. And the usual eagles flying around. 

IMG_2739.JPG

IMG_2744.JPG

• Like 5

I went to Sam's Club today. Along with some other non-fruit items I got a lot of red raspberries to dehydrate tomorrow. I'm going to check out three local fruit/veggie markets tomorrow to see if I can find some purple ones. I'd like to do a mix. I'll call instead of driving around though. I also got some lemons to dehydrate. And I got some tomatoes that looked nice for drying. I think they were called Cocktail Tomatoes. They are about the size of 4 large grape tomatoes put together. Or if you put your middle finger on top of your thumb and make a circle...they are about that size. I don't think I've ever seen those before. I'll either half or quarter them. I'll see the size they end up. I'm pretty sure I'll be going back in a few days. I might get some mangos. Or papaya. I can't remember which it was. What ever they were, it's something my regular grocery store doesn't carry. They had some of those Cutie oranges I might get too. Not for drying but for eating. My store only carries them around Christmas time and I like them. I'm starting to get back in the hang of prepping some more food. I was having a dry spell there for awhile. When I get all of the seasonal type fruit done I want to dehydrate some apple slices.

Then I got my barstool out of the garage and dusted off to use so I don't have to do a lot of standing, and headed off to the liquor store. I got a fifth of vodka!

Not for drinking though. When I was at Sam's I saw an 8oz. size bottle of vanilla extract and it was $20.98. Crimony! I couldn't believe it. I didn't want any but was just curious about the price. Guess who is going to make her own? The vodka was just under $20.00. I'm going to make my own vanilla, orange, lemon, lime extract and anything else I can think of.

• Like 3

Whew, house is clean. 

I took on a couple of projects I wanted to do while DH was in TX.  He went instead of me this month, 'cause MIL has us going to Chamber and Woman's Club meeting next month. 

I removed all the caulking around the tub and replaced it.  It was looking shabby.  Then, the intake vent for the AC look ugly, I spent 3 hours cleaning it.  Ick!  And then, spent a couple of hours in the shed, trying to make heads or tails of all the 'stuff' in there.  I cut down a bunch of boxes and recycled them, and re-organized the fishing gear and ice chests.  LOL, I sent 4 ice chests to TX with DH and still forgot to and a couple more.  At least, you can walk in the shed again.  Yikes!  But, it's all done. 

Oh, and planted some old Jalapenos that had dried, and put a bunch of tomato seeds to 'ferment'.  

I miss DH.  Gunny decided to wake me at 3am.  He comes to my side of the bed and sticks his nose in my face.  If I don't respond, he starts poking me with his snout.  Ok! I'm up.  The silly dog WON'T go out!  Really?!?!?!  Unless I go out with him.  :shakinghead:  I don't want to, because I usually wake around 4am.  Can't he wait?  DH goes to bed at 2-3am, so...... he is not used to having to wait from 8pm- 4am.  Such is life.

Anyway, time to relax for the evening.  House is clean, customers are due tomorrow, and DH will be home tomorrow afternoon.  Did I mention, I miss him!

• Like 2

Sounds like a productive weekend, Annarchy!  I understand about the dog not wanting to wait.  I have the same problem when DH is gone.

I whacked the tops of the knockout roses even with the wrought iron fence the other day.  The little goats love roses and their leaves!  I have a lot more to do out side but it is still so hot!  I start going to my new Church in the morning.  Looking forward to that!

• Like 2

I had to buy a new coffee grinder for my spices the other day. The one I got is a Mr. Coffee. I got the one that has a removable grinding area for easier cleaning. I've had my old grinder so long that I didn't know they made them with the removable chambers. Will sure be a lot easier to clean! There might be other models out there but this is the only one I saw. Not a bad price either. 

https://www.target.com/p/mr-coffee-174-12-cup-coffee-grinder-black-ids77/-/A-10285742?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Appliances+Shopping_Brand_Competitor&adgroup=SC_Appliances&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9015332&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Yip7fTk1QIVhzuBCh2zaQbxEAQYBCABEgJ1gvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 2

I love the new Church!  It's Southern Baptist.  Not a big congregation.  They do have Sunday School and A Wednesday morning Seniors Program.  I'm so glad I went!  Everyone very friendly and they all knew the house we got.  Most folks here stay in the area for generations.

Have to do some town stuff tomorrow and then stay home Tuesday, I hope.  Have a good week folks!

• Like 4

I’m excited. I figured out (thanks Youtube) how to make tables, columns and cells, or whatever they are called, in a Word document and how to shade them and edit them. I'm so happy.   

I've tried to figure it out so many times before but just couldn't get it to work.  I’ve downloaded free printable ones from the black hole called Pinterest, but I couldn’t get them to ‘edit’ because they were in a PDF file. I couldn’t figure out the free trial converters from PDF to Word. I’ve tried to copy/paste them onto a Word doc. but they were all in picture form so I still couldn’t edit them for the things I wanted. It all came together today.

I wanted a freezer inventory sheet. I only have a tiny fridge freezer but someday I want a bigger one and I want an easy way to track what’s in it. I’m going to laminate it so I can use an eraser board marker on it and write on that instead of the paper. I’m trying to come up with different items I’d like to keep on hand just for fun.  I think I’ll make one for a canning pantry before I forget how I did it.

The picture is really bad. My scanner isn’t working very well. It isn’t sharp anymore or bright. I can’t get a new one because I have too much ink stored up for this one. Maybe when I use it up I’ll think about another one. It printed out very nice though and that’s what I mostly use it for.

I know it will probably be years before I get to really use it but this is one more list I can cross off of my list of things to figure out.

img071.jpg

• Like 2

I love your list, Jeepers!  I have problems doing things like that, also.  I can scan a document to my computer and every one I have done is just gone.  Like a black hole or something.  I can look all over in documents or scans and nothing.  I think I did find one once, but couldn't open it.  Oh well.  Can't resize photos anymore either.  Windows 10 or Microsoft edge took out their resizing option.  I downloaded a program for resizing but haven't figured out how yet.  I'm glad your problem is solved, though!

• Thanks 1

Making fire cider this morning.  Has to steep for a month, so hopefully ready before I get sick or sniffly.  Have to clean the goat shed later and list some eBay items.  I'm sure I'll come up with something more to do.  Have a great day!!!

Great list Jeepers. I have a simple one for my two freezers. They got all mixed up when we moved last year. Our 'guy' friends got the food into totes and loaded the freezers into the U-Haul truck in quick fashion. They forgot which totes went into each freezer.   :0327:

I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep my pantry organized. That also went by the wayside when we moved. I have the general list accurate ... beans, canned goods, but life seems to keep me away from accuracy. I find that VERY frustrating!!    <_<

Maybe I'll have time this coming winter to reorganize. We had a flooded basement when we moved in, and added a woodburner last winter. The remodeling and woodcutting was more than I could handle. :yar: The summer has been building flower and garden beds and splitting beehives. Them bees really keep us busy.   :hapydancsmil:

• Thanks 1
On 8/19/2017 at 9:04 PM, snapshotmiki said:

The little goats love roses and their leaves!

Yes they do!!!   :rolleyes:  Which is why we no longer have wild roses on this property.  No more rose hip tea.  Should have put my goats in the garden area before we ever tried to garden in there!  They use herds of goats ...hired out....to clear out areas in our county.  Reduce fire danger and goats love being on the job.

One half-size goat is not keeping our place trimmed tho...  

MtRider  .....VERY tired..... :offtobed:

• Like 1

Ummmmm.......THAT WAS WEIRD! 

I clicked to begin typing reply and a post I'd previously posted appeared.  Didn't know how to get rid of it....and it posted...again.  :scratchhead:  Now I don't know if this is a duplicate or it MOVED this post from it's original spot.  <_<

OK...for what I was really gonna say:

I love the highlite colors, Jeepers.  Makes it very clear as to What's What!

Guy friends moving you, Homesteader.  You have my sympathy!  What they consider QUICK for themselves might incur MASSIVE TIME for someone else to undo their self-centered reasoning.  I saw a 'now-ex of a friend' shove our waterbed mattress thru a door frame so roughly that it created about seven leaks.

YA CALL THIS HELPING, DUDE?  :fryingpan:

AND a flooded basement?  That was not a nice surprise!  :(  Hope you were able to get that fixed!

MtRider  ....suppose we could just walk away and leave everything behind instead of moving it....when the time comes?  :behindsofa:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Both of us sort of recovering from thieves stealing both  of the house batteries and their cables from our travel triailer. First slashing the tires and now this.  We're thinking maybe they did both, but we just noticed the batteries gone because they're under casing. Checked to make sure both propane tanks were still in their compartment.  The game camera's batteries went too low to catch the past 3 weeks (according to the last date of the last picture) so we just don't know.  Either way..."may God reward them according to their deeds".  We just bought new tires for the trailer, but had them inside the trailer on not on...thank God!  I've been jarring up produce these past few days while Mr finishes a work project he was hired to to do.  We purchased one of those "pressure cooker XL" type things so I'm able to pick from the garden and just jar up a few jars using electricity (doesn't heat up the house so bad since we no longer have central air) and can just "walk away" until I hear the timer buzz.  Got the laundry pretty much done today even though I went ahead and used the dryer to dry.  We went to an eclipse party Monday and we had rain yesterday.  Didn't get the bedding changed so that's on the morning's agenda a long with bath linens.

• Sad 3

I couldn't figure out how to do the tables side by side while making a canning inventory but since the freezer one was done on a Word doc. I just copy/pasted it to another one and played around with it that way. I used the little eraser tool to erase some of the lines so it looks like there are separate tables but there are actually only two tables side by side. I knew I'd never get it figured out again from scratch.

This isn't set in stone but it's a pretty accurate list of what I can. I'm still looking at some soups I'll probably try. Feel free to copy it. It's my own so I'm treading on anyone else's copyright. If I knew how to post a Word document I would.

Sorry, scanned picture is twisted...it printed out fine though.  :blink:

I just noticed the other picture is too.  :008Laughing:

Canning Inventory.jpg

Edited by Jeepers
Not too lopsided huh!
  • Like 3

Oh my We2. That is horrible! I'm so sorry that has happened to you. :hug3:

"May God reward them according to their deeds".  Amen.

I'm not sure which is worse...the stealing or knowing someone was sneaking around your house.

Mt.Rider, sometimes if I type out something and change my mind, especially if I just hit the 'back button', then when I come back to the thread and click on it, then what I previously typed will show up again.  Nice sentence structure, huh.  :rolleyes: 

Wow, We2, that is terrible.  I really have a problem with people that do such things.  I believe the only thing that keeps those type of people away from us, are the vicious sounding big dogs we have.  Grrr & Gunny.  Grrr likes to bark/growl/grrrrrrr at people walking & riding bikes past our house. 

Mostly working on that 'never ending painting'.  I have finally hit land.  The clouds were so intense and detailed, it seemed to have taken forever.  Now, I've gotten to the landscape, God willing it will go quicker.  I can hope.  :happy0203:  I am very grateful, the client loves the updated pictures.  They want me to take all the photos and make a flip book.  Haha, might be an idea.....

The neighbors have a teenager, who asked me about my chickens, whether it was ok with the city of have them. I told him, I didn't know of any ordinance that says we can't.   Now, they have 2 hens.  I can see them from our yard.  LOL.  My girls have been a little more talkative since they got their 2. 

It is cooling off here, still over 100 but cooling off at night a little.  Making me feel like fall is coming.  I have been planning our fall/winter garden.  Last year, I started the tomatoes inside, I going to try to start them outside and make a cold frame for the winter.  I have high hopes it will work.  Planting them outside in the spring does not give them enough time to produce very much.  Seriously, the first year, I got 5 tomatoes from 3 plants, before the heat fried them.  This year, we got about a dozen.  I took most of them and fermented the seeds, because the sun had still baked the skins so badly, they were tough to eat.  I am hoping, by harvesting those seeds, we will be able to have, heat resistant tomatoes.  Experimenting....

Our resident ring neck dove has twins this time.  The parents are working hard to feed them.  I saw a grackle come to the water dish, he looked a little frazzled.  The next day, I found out why, he and his mate have 3 young ones.  That explained a lot.  :grinning-smiley-044:  Other birds are beginning to migrate through.  DH mentioned, he feels like it is going to be a cold winter.

Other than that, the weather is cool enough to only water the yard every other day, in order to keep things green.  I am hoping to get one more harvest from the tomatillos and celery.  The plants are still flowering and producing.

Time to figure out 'what's for dinner'.  I have no clue.....   :shrug: