MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the shower chair, finally, after an incident in which it took me twenty minutes to get out of the tub (by which time I was as sweaty and stinky as when I'd gone in!).  Love it.  Feel sooo clean.   Went to get the handicapped parking placard, but the system went down state-wide so that's been moved to Tuesday.  Forgot to go to my MRI yesterday evening--that's also been moved to Tuesday.

yeah Ambergris....I thot of you when I saw a commercial for one.  I only see commercials when visiting my folks.  Looked pretty simple to adjust to up or down. 

DH and i are RESTING the past couple days...finally.  Letting the adrenaline go is hard.....and makes ya kinda sick if you've run for a while.  DH is definitely looking less ragged.  :amen:

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

We've been taking it easy, too.  DH is feeling extra rough lately due to an extra medicine he has been taking.  Won't have to take it much longer, thank God!  I started Sunday School a couple of weeks ago and I like that a lot!  Came home yesterday and made potato salad and baked beans to go with our hot dogs.  Today I am cooking burgers on the grill and making cookies and brownies.  Have to shoot a few ebay photos for DH and clean the goat shed.  And yes, that is taking it easy.  Hope you all have a good Holiday and get some rest!

I'm picturing brownies on the grill.  :icon19:

I'm not standing as much as I'd thought I would be, but any little bit is a help--and a step in the right direction.

• Like 3
On 9/3/2017 at 0:30 PM, Ambergris said:

Got the shower chair, finally.................

I tried a shower chair (in my old apt) but the bottom of the tub was "rounded" and the feet couldn't sit squarely and securely inside so I had to return it. :(  Then I tried a transfer bench, but there wasn't enough room to sit on it and get my leg up over the edge of the tub without the sink getting in the way.

The problem is now solved......all I had to do was MOVE!!!

I moved into a handicap accessible apt in June (same apt complex). I had my name on the list for a ground floor apt closer to the office and laundry room for a little over a year, and at the end of May they offered me this apt so I took it!

• Like 5

I mowed the yard today. It didn't really need it but there were some straggly spots so I went ahead and did it. I got all of my errands run and bills paid for the month.

Then I went to Sam's Club and did some stocking up. It was kind of an expensive trip but part of the bill was for my membership dues and I bought two big pre-school books for "you know who"   :rolleyes:.   Yeah, I know I'm jumpin' the gun here but this grandma is going to be...ahem...prepared. I also stocked up on some vitamins too. Oh, and they had some pumpkin spice flavored bottles of Starbucks Frappuccino on sale. I don't know if I'll like it cold but I'm pretty sure I'll like it hot. Pfffft. I need some more of the empty bottles for some more extracts anyway. Michaels have the same bottles at 6 for $11.00. Only difference is the caps are all white.

I stopped in Bed Bath and Beyond. I forgot what I wanted to look for so I just left. I probably would have remembered if I saw it. Couldn't have been very important and it wasn't on my list. Maybe I just thought I needed something in there.  :scratchhead:

I emptied my box of trash paper at the bins and broke down a couple of empty boxes to toss in too. 

Then I got everything all gassed up and washed the Jeep. I wanted to stop in at Wal-Mart but my back was killing me and I just couldn't do it. I need one of those dental picks and figured I'd just stop at the grocery store right by the house but I got an allergy attack and about sneezed my fool head off. My face looked like I'd been crying and was all swollen and puffed up so decided to just go home.

It's looked like rain all day and I just heard some thunder so I'm grabbing the heating pad and Advil and some sweet tea and veg out with some Youtube the rest of the evening. 

• Like 2

Been emailing to friends and relatives in the path of H. IRMA ....  :pray:

RESTING.....letting the adrenaline seep away.....  :unsure:  Sounds peaceful...it's NOT! 

DH has actually been doing AM chores and I might cook eggs for breakfast.  Or today, since it was lunch time, he heated up the pasta/sausage-tomato sauce he made last nite.  He's definitely doing better....EXCEPT his upper BP number is still 210 every day.  And still can't schedule another clinic appointment cuz the new doc hasn't arrived to say what days he'll be in..... 

Rural health care access issues.  Now if one of the four of us was in good enough shape to drive all the way to the city......  :shakinghead:  It's why the ERs in rural areas get a lot of business.  But he's okay for now.

Trying to build up and rain today.  NEED it!  There's a fire in CO now.... went from 2 acres to 2,200 acres overnight a couple days ago.  Haven't checked on it today.  

MtRider  .....did I mention that RESTING could be boring?  :whistling:  

Did some shopping and vacuum sealing some food.  Still have a lot of jarring up to do.  Tomatoes and berries.  Bought a big hunch of ham and we'll get that sliced down at a later date.  It'll be safe in the freezer since it's shrink wrapped.  Hopefully may get my van into the shop for her re-built transmission.  I can drive her as long as I stay at 30 or under, but I don't want to have it go completely out.  I want to drive her to the garage (20 miles away) not towed.  Also need to get the new tires mounted on the travel trailer and buy two more new batteries for the trailer (to replace the ones stolen!) so maybe we can sneak out of town in a week or so.  The garden has slowed tremendously but I'm still getting eggplant and bell peppers.  We'll need to pick more pole beans to, and hopefully the ONE crrok neck squash that is growing will survive the bugs!  The weather's been beautiful...but no rain.  I love the Mason Bees swarming over my Chive blossoms...and today the blossoms were loaded with Monarchs!

• Like 2

Went to Walmart to pick up some adjustable window screens I ordered.  Those are cheap, about $6 apiece!  Then came home and worked for an hour to get one of my bedroom windows to move enough to put it in.  All windows were painted shut courtesy of the previous owners who apparently never opened them.  I may go get a 5 ft. stepladder tomorrow if I can convince myself to get into the mad money.  Got out a few Fall decorations and hung them on doors today.  Did some eBay photos. And of course, had goat time!

• Like 2

Jarred up 4 pints of sweet potatoes yesterday using my new electric canner.  So much quicker for small jobs.  Still have several sweet potatoes that I plan to boil down and dehydrate...then grind them into a powder for space saving.  Add some boilint water and butter and guess what! Mashed sweet potatoes!  A couple of years ago I boiiled some down, mashed them and put them into muffin tins, froze them, dumped them out and then vacuum sealed them.  They kept fine.  Just cut them out of the bag and nuked them.  Today we pretty much "played"...gotta have some down time....so we toured some garage sales and took Abby-girl to the dog park.  No other doggies though :-(  She just doesn't get much dog to dog socialization.  Guess that's the hazard of being an only pet with retired owners.  Found a lovely ceramic crock with a lid for $3...not a big one, just our size...in case I would want to ferment some foods like carrots etc.  NOT cabbage though, neither of us like sour kraut!  Also some pilliow cases for a dime each; can't ever have too many of them!  Got 7 pkgs of printer paper for $1.50 each and a nearly new queen sized fleece blanket for $5.  In a life changing event one can't have too many blankets, quilts and comforters dontcha think? 

• Like 3
On 9/9/2017 at 9:48 PM, snapshotmiki said:

WE2, have you dehydrated the sweet potatoes before into powder?  That sounds like a great idea to me!  So does yard sailing.

Only dehydrated tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, lemons, oranges, watermelon, canteloupe ... but figure sweet potatoes would be logical?  I still haven't made up my mind yet but will have to soon before they "give up the ghost".LOL

• Like 1

Jarred up strawberries yesterday so removed the rings, washed the jars and labeled them this morning.  I just used strawberry/kiwi jello mix instead of pectin and sugar.  They didn't "set" but I'll just use some instant clear gel when I open a jar to thicken the juice more.  Probably should have used more jello and more strawberries.  Oh, well...it was an experiment anyway! LOL  Also picked a few more bell peppers (lots more coming on) and some Kale.  Got several eggplants growing too. This garden has struggled right along with us.  Just about the time I think the tomatoes are done...we go out this evening and we've got them making little 'maters and see yellow blooms for more?  The watermelon?  Thought is was a gonner for sure...what do I see?  Runners all over the place with yellow blooms.  A week or so ago, I took some aluminum foil out and wrapped it around the base of the watermelon stem...hoping it would deter squash bores etc.  Maybe it worked?  Last week the Kale was nothing but "lace" from the Japanese Beetles...but it's coming back so I cut off all the "lace" and brought home what was good (we like it in our scrambled eggs).  Washed it up and bagged it for in the mornings...should hae enough for 3 mornings.  Pulled the spaghetti Squash and yellow crook neck.  Squash bugs got 'em both :-( 

101_0586.JPG

• Like 1

Oh my.  :wub:

If I had a cutie patootie helper like that I'd be snapping those beans too!

She makes me want to reach right in there and roll those ears around with my hands like I used to do my beagle. Her coat looks so shiny and healthy.

Koa LOVES :wub:  sweet potatoes.  They were her first treats.  I dehydrated some and took them to Darlene's when I went to pick her up. 

She also loves rice ..... :(   cuz when all the puppies in that litter got so sick, we fed them rice and home-cooked chicken broth initially.  Then put more and more of the meat in with the mix as they improved.  Then slowly transferred more kibble into that.

She's always "remembered" those first 'other' foods.  She likes them dehydrated or cooked....even the skins.  

MtRider   :cook: