MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Hummm, that was fast. I got my test results from my neck x-ray back in less than 24 hours. :rolleyes:

It seems I have arthritis, disk narrowing and degeneration in the neck. It's funny (not really) but since I heard that, my neck hurts even worse than ever. Power of suggestion? Sigh.

I'm supposed to start physical therapy on it but the closest facility in their system is downtown Cleveland and that ain't gonna happen. Especially with winter coming on. So, I put in a call to see if there is someplace closer to me out of their system. My supplemental insurance says I can go anywhere so hopefully there is someplace near me. I'm glad I waited to start this journey until after I got on Medicare and the supplemental plan so I can have more choices without *paying through the nose. No way would my private insurance have covered most this.The office said they have 72 to contact me back. Must have been a meeting of some sorts on protocol. Just saying.

I really wish I had been more insistent on having my back x-rayed at the same time so if I need therapy on it I could have had it at the same time. I was just so focused on my neck...Or maybe they just do one problem at a time. Don't know.

* paying through the nose. That's an odd saying we still use today. I found out it means: "Experts discovered that "paying through the nose" was a Viking punishment of slitting the nose from tip to eyebrow of anyone who refused to pay tax."  Yikes!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/10233077/Dark-meaning-behind-popular-phrases.html

I don't think I needed to know about that expression, Jeepers.  LOL  A lot of medical offices will only address one issue (unless life threatening) at a time so you keep coming back and more money is made.  

When dh first started with a gastrointestinal doc, they were making him an appt. to come in to make a follow up appt.  That didn't last long!

I sure hope things are going (well) for you today, Mt. Rider!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 1

That's what I figured Snapshotmiki. One more Dr. appointment fee...one more x-ray appointment fee...one more radiologist fee..one more physical therapy fee etc.

I just got a P.T. appointment that is on the street right behind my house. It will take me about 5 min. or less to get there. I go next Monday.

• Like 1

:amen: WE HAVE WATER......so far it's still red with stuff from stirring things up.  But it's water.  Still have plenty of saved water to drink, cook, brush teeth...  It will settle in the next day or two.  Clogged the shower head so I have that sitting in vinegar to dissolve.  DH took shower anyway with no shower head.  :shrug:   

Still have the electrical mystery.....   The well guy checked the electrical box with his meter and all circuits are good.  He suspects my rodent invaders may have chewed a wire....  :o  Not good.  May have a lot more disruption while they try to FIND the problem.  AND toilet is not emptying the tank unless one holds it down thru entire cycle....a slow count of 10.  But....running water is grande! 

Problem was down the well hole.....corroded galvanized pipe, the last one where it connected to the well pump.  It came completely disconnected as they lifted it 180 feet up.  [we're in deep well country!]  Would have dropped...lost forever... if not for the wires connected.  Interesting to watch the process to pull up that many lengths of 20' pipes with a crane truck squeezed between two trees that keep growing larger.  Plumbing and pruning at the same time.... :rolleyes:

Sheeeeeesh, I  AM   SOOOO   TIRED!

MtRider  :happy0203:   ...back in the 20th century at least. 

• Like 1

I just did a Jeepers and didn't notice there were more posts on the next page.

:cheer: that you got results, Jeepers.  And very convenient P.T.  .....cuz after they work you over ...er, do your therapy, you will not want to drive all over to get home! 

Thru the nose........  the human race certainly has it's vulgar moments, haven't we?  :wacko:

No comment the medical establishment driven by $$$$$$$......  :motz_6:

MtRider  :wave:

23 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I wanted to have my back x-rayed at the same time but she said it was too much radiation at one time. I disagree because I really want to know what is going on back there but she is the one with the final say so I didn't argue.

???  Something not right.  Rechecked my training notes...  "all of us receive an average of 300 mrem (3 mSv) of radiation exposure to natural background radiation every year".  Here it is 2mrem/day ('hot'), up to 6mrem in some areas out west.

" 'Alert' level: 'artificial' source: 50mrem/day or greater".  "Medical recovery time is 72 hours".

Rechecking the per X-Ray dosage averages table... 

Thoracic spine (AP)- 40mrem
Thoracic spine (lateral)-  30mrem
Lumbar spine (AP)- 70mrem
Lumbar spine (lateral)- 30mrem

OK.  Possible.  She is using the medical tables, which is to your benefit.  But as an FYI, industrial radiographers are allowed 200mrem/day. 

Please take care.

Sarah

• Like 2

Thanks Sarah!  That's good to know. 

Jeepers, 'power of suggestion', yup. BTDT. 8 herniated discs, 3 into the spinal column, arthritis, degenerative disc disease and scoliosis.  "No surgery will be able to take the 3 discs out of the spinal column."   I freaked out. Until, I decided it wasn't gonna stop me. PT was a joke. Went, saw what they wanted me to do and said "No" to the 26 weeks of therapy and 26 cortisone shots. "No pain killers" was the Drs advice. Really?!  Ibuprofen, it reduces the swelling, and relives the pain. I asked, "What about my hands?",  same reply.  It's a b*tch some days, but...., :imoksmiley:lol. 

We changed the fluids in DH's new Teryx. Someone torked the filter on so hard, he broke the plastic filter remover. Even with buying a universal filter remover, we still saved over $150. bucks the dealership was gonna charge. (Paying through the nose.)

A friend of ours, brought some 'bread stuff' 'cause he quit making and eating breads. Baking soda, powder, yeast, and some organic-non-GMO flower. Oh, and a set of Sterlite mixing bowls with lids. I have glass and SS bowls, so I had to find a place to put them. 

As for the garden. The zucchini is growing well, as well as the fava beans. A couple tomato seeds, a few beet seeds and a few onion seeds sprouted. No carrots, 1 spinach, 3 black eyed beans-2 died, and no parsnips. Maybe the rats, chipmunks and rabbits are eating the sprouts.  IDK. Lol. Thinking I'll plant more carrots and beets. 

I moved the root root ball of celery and dumped in a lot of its seeds and it is growing like a weed!  The Queens Wreath, that was growing in the garden, transplanted well and is thriving between the 2 piquin chili plants that survived our hot summer. I am hoping it provides shade on the fence to reduce the sunshine in that area. 

Oh, Miki, I did a binge on NCIS. Started at #1 and watched every episode in order. Got to the end of the last season and didn't watch it, 'cause I knew it was gonna be a 'continued ' episode. But I thought it was the year before, then watched it. Ack!  Not!  I had to wait for 2017 season to start. Good grief.  Now, I stream the latest episode, when I get the time. I like Abby. :happy0203:

Anyway, it's about time to cook dinner. DH wants BBQ carne. I.e.  Ribeye, corn on the cob and garlic toast. Nomnom. 

Glad to hear you have water Mt_Rider. Hope you can figure out the electric. 

I hope everyone had a wonderful day. 

Sounds like everybody's got a lot of different things going on...whew!  Been busy around here too.  Today I jarred up 12 half pints of Tomatillos.  The local pantry got about 20 pallets of them so I brought a WM bag home after our volunteer work was done.  I'll use them to make salsa verde later or chop up when I make white chili.  Might even chop them up and put some of my jalapeno's etc. to make a chow-chow thing...who knows what I'll come up with :24:.  The garden is still making produce.  I jarred up 5 more pints of green beans and vacuum sealed more bell peppers and hot peppers.  Pulled off a bunch of my spearmint and it's soaking in a small jar of grape seed oil.  It's in a cool, dark place and I give it a shake or two every day.  Still have tons of berries to get worked up.  Don't know if I mentione it previously or not, but a customer of Mr's gave us an upright deep freeze.  We just have to find a way to get it moved without harming ourselves.  Mr is going to build some side rails on a trailer so he can secure it...and the trailer is only a few inches off the ground so he thinks he can get it on with his appliance dolly.  Lots of customers calling for him so the homestead's bathroom is still in limbo...no toilet and no water in the house :( so I pretty much stay here when he is working 'cause I gotta use my GoGirl and a laundry jug when I'm there for any length of time.  Ya know how it is ladies! :24: Broke down and shut off the window a/c today and when I changed sheets etc., introduced the fleece blanket to the top of the bed :frozen: and put Abby-girls heavy horse blanket on her mattress.  Sure didn't take her long to hit the sack :laughkick: Found out Mr's prescription (one he must have) is no longer covered under the RX plan he had (it expired) so the price tripled.  We left it there at the pharmacy and will see if we can find a cheaper place to get it. This past Saturday the three of of us had a LONG day...we started out with an early breakfast, then drove to hubby's  hometown for a city wide celebration, then back southward to our favorite open air market, then walked about a mile to their Apple Festival and enjoyed lots of walking there.  Finally succombed to the  tired feet syndrom and took the hayride back to the truck, so now Abby'girl can say she's been on a hayride!  Then home to clean up & we went tancing.  Miss Abby-girl enjoyed sacking out!  Home by 10pm!

101_0637.JPG

101_0626.JPG

• Like 1

Mt. Rider, I've probably missed a lot of posts because it turned the page and I didn't realize it. Sorry if I snubbed anyone! It isn't intentional.

Thank you Sarah. I thought radiation had a cumulative effect so it wouldn't make a difference if I had it done all at once or spaced out. I think she just wanted to concentrate on my neck and shoulder first since they are giving me so much pain right now.

Annarchy, I'm so sorry you are going through all of your joint problems! It made my heart hurt just reading about it. Gentle hugs. I really don't plan to do all of the sessions either. I figured I’d do about half of them to learn the exercises so I can do them at home. Although, they would hold me accountable; on my own I can be a slacker.  We’ll see. I hear the P.T. people can be brutal.

My shoulder only hurts in certain positions so I forgot about it and yawned and stretched really big and sent it into fits. It hurts so bad when I did that I could cry…or vomit. Ugh. I took one of the anti-inflammatory pills and fell asleep. 

The doctor’s office called back again (after I already made my P.T. appointment) and told me there was a closer place within their system that I could go to. It is ‘only’ 15 miles from my house.  She told me if I went to the one downtown at the main campus, I’d have to pay for parking. Wow, what a deal. What to do, what to do. Believe I’ll stick with the one RIGHT BEHIND MY HOUSE. Honestly, if there wasn’t a woods behind my house I could probably see it. I realize I’m not the sharpest bulb in the pack but I think I’ve got this one.  This shoulder thing makes me really grumpy.

Oh My We’2…that is my dream car right there!!! I ALWAYS wanted a circa 1960’s Camaro.  I dated a guy in high school who had a 1968 convertible Camaro.  He wasn’t bad but that car... Swoon.  He died in the Viet Nam War. RIP (James) Keith Merrell.  :sad-smiley-012:   :americanflag:   :sad-smiley-012:

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=47102641

I am up bright and early drinking my Earl Grey tea catching up on my surfing.  I have another busy day planned full of exciting errands!

Jeepers I found out in August that my back is in terrible shape.  I had no idea until I had a devastating pain with no warning. I had my first MRI ever and some x-rays. My Dr. sent me to a physical therapist for one session.  She showed me about 10 exercises that should help strengthen my back.  I guess that's all my insurance will cover.  SO far (knock on wood) I have not had a serious recurrence but I do fear another one.

MtRIder Welcome back to 2017!  LOL

WE2 your canning looks great.  We didn't plant a big garden this year so we didn't have enough excess produce.  I wish we were up to having a larger garden so I would have a pretty pantry like you.

Got to go fix my sweetie his breakfast and then on to the chores.

Have a great day all!

• Like 1
On 10/11/2017 at 11:23 PM, Jeepers said:

Thank you Sarah. I thought radiation had a cumulative effect so it wouldn't make a difference if I had it done all at once or spaced out.

We have learned a lot.  'Hard' or natural radiation does have cumulative.  'Soft' or artificial has a 'trip level', below which it is not cumulative, and there is a 'recovery period'.  Most medical x-ray sources fall under that category.  Still that seems a bit high, so again, take care. 

Yay!  DH is home and MrsS is back up and running!!!  Thanks to all for getting MrsS back!!!

While DH was gone I canned 16 pints of chili and 1 pint of Mex. flavored ground beef.  4 arts of baked beans and 4 pints of great northern beans with Cajun seasoning.  Yesterday made Pumpkin Applesauce which I highly recommend!  Not a canning recipe, just freezer.  Kind of tastes like apple butter!  Very Fall-like!  Dragged all Christmas stuff out and got it together to make ornaments in the near future as it didn't happen this week.  Very happy that things are getting back to our abnormal normal!!!

• Like 1

Yayyy!  I'm home!  The dogs are ecstatic and very clingy, Mary is much relieved, and our wonderful friend Deb, who drove all the way up from Alabama to help Mary clean & pack while I was laid up (5 days in hospital) went home with what we could get her to accept for all her help....6 more of the steaks she says she cant get in Alabama, more Wisconsin Colby Cheese (her favorite), a pound jar of ham flavored bouillon powder (she never heard of it, and it is wonderful in beans or anywhere you want ham flavor), and some of our famous Racine Kringle (another thing she had never had before and nearly swooned when she tasted it).  It took two days to pack up most of the kitchen alone.  My brother came over last night and moved boxes to the garage, which is now FULL, grousing all the while.  He's generally a good sport, so we let him grumble.  We told Deb when we moved down we would bring her refill goodies.  I for one will have at least 12 jars of ham bouillon just for myself!

Mary took Deb to our local Woodman's store, and she was astounded (the place is huuuuuge).  She said she never saw a place with so much of everything, plus so any things she would never have thought of.  It is our go-to store for things we cant find in other grocery stores, like mung beans for sprouting, or special flours for baking.  Plus they have enormous special dietary items, and excellent imported foods section.  It is the only place I have ever seen a British imports shelf (lemon curd, anyone?  How bout a little Marmite?  Or 'salad seaweed?  Or  real isinglass?)  All under the same roof.  

I have 8 robot surgery holes and a bikini line incision about 8 inches long in my stomach area.  It creates an interesting mini-event when I need to cough - don't know what part of the anatomy to grab, and it is hard to cough gently (like a lady).  The doctors seemed thrilled; they said I was up and around very quickly and they have high hopes of a total cure.  I guess when you work as a cancer doc you have to deal with patients dying, so you get really excited when you make a save, so to speak!  I told them I went in to get the job done, and was working hard to get well - following all their rules, doing all their exercises (more than the minimum) and keeping a very upbeat attitude.  The worst was the boredom.  So I am sooooo glad to be home, at least I can talk to my friends on the computer.   So Sunday Mary says she will gladly drive me to church so I can give thanks.  

And, of course, to thank my friends for all the praying....I think it helped enormously.  Thank you, ladies!

• Like 3

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

I'm slow here. Someone on another site mentioned they are having a hard time with their arthritis because of the colder damp weather recently. Well, duh. That's probably why I've been hurting more recently too. I didn't put 2+2 together.  :misc-smiley-231:

My shoulder is giving me fits today. I go to physical therapy for my neck on Monday and I'm going to ask them about my shoulder. I know with tendonitis; rest, anti-inflammatory meds and easy range of motion exercises are recommended but I wonder if a shoulder immobilizer thing would help? I don't want the muscles around it to become weak but it just seems like holding it in place would make it feel better. I guess I'll find out Monday. I looked up the med (Meloxicam) she gave me online. The recommended dosage starts at 7.5 mg. The maximum dosage is 15mg. She started me out on the 15mg. and it isn't touching the pain.  It seems to be helping my neck though so I'll continue taking it.  <_<

I'm going to go get a pizza and spend the rest of the evening catching up on some TV I've DVR-ed and maybe fill some jars of stuff I got for under the kitchen sink. I'm going from dishwasher liquid to the pods and I have a glass jar to put them in. I rarely use the dishwasher so the pods I've bought will last probably last me for a year or more. And they are Purdy! Also, some of the Magic Erasers I bought. I want to cut them in half and store them in a glass jar instead of the boxes they came in. I'm trying to clear the under sink mess and make the stuff stored under there more moisture proof. I thought it was but some of the metal cans had some rust on them so I guess it isn't. I'm rambling. I do that when I hurt...

• Sad 1

:amen:  :cheer: for Kappy!  Whew....that's done with except recovery and then......the move!

Pumpkin applesauce, Miki???  Hmm, I really like apple butter...  Recipe?

Hope your pain gets better, Jeepers.  Yes, cool/damp increases all the aches we forgot we had.  Here in arid country, we honestly do forget cuz 'damp' is not often. 

Oh, and Jeepers and anyone else......you've heard, haven't you.  Those purdy pods are deadly if you lil' grandson visits....  Complaints that they look like candy to toddlers and young kiddos.  :o  Flashy colors are purdy tho.  :)   I've seen them but I don't have a dishwasher. 

Well.....after the well incident we got our water back on and sediment flushed thru.  Kinda flushed...I think I'll have to empty the shower head one more time.  Ack....and the screen in the kitchen/bathroom sinks.  Cuz we had higher pressure and now a little less.  That ought to do it....just thinking with my fingers here... :rolleyes:

After a week without mice....got two in past two days.  :motz_6: Course with one [only 2] outlet in basement not working....we can't plug in the rodent irritating devices.  Sooo, were they working?   :shrug:

Another event was a neighbor came down and told us she/her dh are in conversation with OUR property owners.....about buying this property if they're selling.  .....uh......  :wacko:  Didn't see that coming nor did J, our Property Manager.  Told her when they came by a little later to BEGIN to check out the Electric Mystery.  This is not our first time with tearing my house apart to get AT the outlets, junction boxes, light switches, and light fixtures.  [new electrician vocabulary:  they call all those 'devices' ]   Well all my devices are hidden behind STUFF.....and there is no extra room to move STUFF outta the way.  But it's gonna HAVE to be done week after next when Master Electrician [Property Manager's son] comes again.  Like last time, they might have to set up camp here. 

DH and I have a MUST DO meeting in the city on Wed of that week and they can't come in house with Koa in here.  Can be in basement and outside to breaker box tho....  Hope we can get lucky on Mon/Tues. 

AND.....we have to free up space in garage/basement area cuz must be room to be up ladders and all that.....  Sooooooo.......y'all know what is mostly STORED down in that area....  We're going to take the last huge tarp we bought .....it has a different use but that can be postponed...pray for good weather thru end of Oct for us!!!!!!  We'll cover the 10x20' dog kennel and start hauling STUFF out there for the duration of the Electric Mystery.  MUST have more space to move.  We've also needed to rotate goods and this will be a great time to do that!!  Might even do inventory....if I'm not :0327:    [hmph, ya THINK?]   They might be tearing out the sheet rock ceiling of basement/garage area.  We can also flatten a lot of empty boxes...making more room.  If there is sheltered place to put stuff temporarily....pray DH and I have the strength/energy/health to DO THIS THING!  .....I do so DEARLY love being organized!  :hapydancsmil: I even LOVE the doing of it....if my old body would just cooperate and not get so painful. 

Yanno.......I've got this feeling that LIFE.....with God directing......is beginning to move.  Don't know how/what/when/where.  But I feel something changing.  And God DEFINITELY knows what He's doing for us.  Shortly, some things will be cleared up that have bound us.  Then......  :happy0203:   We'll see what God has next!

.....I'd love your prayers, friends.  This will be exhausting and likely very physically painful to haul/lift/hoist so much.  :pray:   Additionally, pray no one gets the Hantavirus that is in our 4-corners states [NM/AZ/UT/CO]....from dust of rodent "leavings".  

MtRider .....somethings in the air...(besides dust!)  ;)

Seems like you are continuing to receive little hints about possibly moving, Mt. Rider.  I would say just enjoy the ride but in your case, it should be "hang on and enjoy the ride on a 10,000 pound bull!  Please try and get some rest when you "both" can!

Mt. Rider, Pumpkin Applesauce recipe in kitchen recipes, I think

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 1

I finally got a good nights sleep last night. Sleep does a body good but it also helps the mind. I think the med is hurting my stomach though. I'll give it a few more days to make sure. Aspirin does the same thing. If it is, I'm going to keep my mouth shut and continue getting the 3 refills and store them away in my 'arsenal'. 

You guys have really had some kind of year Mt. Rider. I agree with Miki that you might be getting the nudge to move on. Better to do it on your own terms than on someone else's. I'm talking about what if your neighbor buys the place. I pray that what ever is in your future will be the best possible outcome you could ever imagine!  :pray:

5 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

I would say just enjoy the ride but in your case, it should be "hang on and enjoy the ride on a 10,000 pound bull! 

:coffeescreen:

I sat down and wrote out all the major event since July.  It is rather astounding!  :sassing:  

Today I spent a LOT of time cleaning the bathroom from TOP to BOTTOM.  Besides the rodent problem, there is an EXTRAORDINARY amount of DUST!   NEVER have I seen any house like this - EVER!   Unfortunately, dust and other particulate matter is my allergy.  But sometimes....I just have to see an area  CLEAN AND ORGANIZED!   :dusting:

:amen:  :hapydancsmil::amen:

THEN I went down to begin THE PROJECT.  Our part of the Electric Mystery is to get access to everywhere for the electrician when he comes next week.  I'd been pondering it and the ONLY solution I could come up with is to move at least 1/4 to 1/2 of STUFF out of the garage/basement area.  There simply is no room.  Remember we've already had 4" of snow so we can have any type of weather right now....  :unsure: 

Sooooooooooooooo........I began the process of turning Koa's 10x20' chain-link kennel into a storage shed.  The final tarp we bought was accidentally larger.....good for this project.  15x30'  so there will be overhang.  5' overhang on the 2 long sides.  Good.  But the top of a chain-link is very rough and I don't want this high priced tarp getting friction holes. 

Anyone remember when my title line used to be "Packrat with a Purpose"?   Well when DH has gone thru waterbeds, I've saved the inside cushion things [especially in 'waveless' type] .  As maybe an expedient mattress?  I had DH go to storage and bring two of them back.  Cut one of them into strips and duct taped the thick, spongy things along the upper edge where the tarp with be laying....rubbing....esp. in our WIND!  :twister3:    Hours later when it got dark and COLD, I'm nearly done.  Worth the effort to save the tarp some wear & tear.  Can put tarp on ...Tuesday when DH is home.  Gonna be a heavy monster.  Donkey Palace tarp was bad enough. 

I also assembled a "structure" within the 10x20' space....to keep the tarp UP.  The left over tubular framing that I didn't use in Donkey Palace....placed kinda oddly and I can't explain it.  But it will hold up the roof tarp.  Not really a center ridgeline, which would have been perfect...but it will do.

Sheeeesh, I'm tired.  Sitting here, my back is not screaming at me and my feet are ....tingling and numb.  Today I made sure to wear arch supports and compression sock for plantar faciitis.  Actually ....feet don't feel too bad.  AND I'm not moving cuz I'm not in pain in this position.  We had a quick grilled cheese/fresh mushroom sandwich and augmented canned soup.  Threw in this and that fresh stuff to make it taste better. 

I have decided to run adrenaline for the next two weeks.  Only way to get thru....  :shrug:   I'll just have to pay the "loan shark" for this "borrowed energy".   Have to get thru this time period and pray some of this can get resolved and behind us.  10,000 lb bull INDEED! 

DH is doing better but still running high BP.  We'll see his doc about the recent lab work on Fri.  He's going with less O2 now and feeling ok. 

Yeah, Jeepers and Miki....I'm really feeling the impending CHANGE.  Generally I'm not too fond of change but....when God orchestrates one  [and He's the ONLY WAY these changes could happen] ....then it will be good.  :happy0203:

MtRider  .....VERRRRY THANKFUL FOR GREAT WEATHER during these projects.  :pray: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

I forgot to mention about the dishwasher pods. Exactly, Mt. Rider. I can see where they would attract children. They are pretty and they smell good. I put mine in a screw top glass container but if/when g'son comes to my house I'll be sure to have child lock things on all of the bottom cabinets. Good reminder!