MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Oh my Annarchy...how discouraging! We had a waterbed when they first came out. Neither one of us could get used to it though. Plus we kept waking each other up in the night with movements. When it sprung a leak after about 2 years we got rid of it. They are probably different now though. Luckily, we caught the leak early because it was on the second floor and we were renting the house at the time. The damages we could have caused...$$$$$.

Air mattresses are better...if you're sleeping alone. But, the baffles on them can separate and leave you with big bumps :-) We have a pillow top mattress and a Serta-Rest Gel Mattress on it, and the Serta-Rest pillows too; both here, in the travel trailer and in the Class B motorhome. In winter it's a bit chilly if you're not sleeping on flannel sheets but in summer they're really cool. The pillows are in "particle" type chunks so you just beat the dickens out of them and they're ready to go! Now...What did we do today? Ran some errands from here to the Homestead, and then made a stop at $Tree so pick up a couple of foil pans. The Lodge was having their family meal and I took "cheesy" potatoes. Found some silver plastic spoons in the wedding section (3 spoons and 3 fork/spoons) in one package. That way I bring nothing back! LOL Emptied my wallet there because they had yellow cake mixes galore, cherry pie fillings galore and apple fie fillings galore and we emptied a bin that had the packages of big, round salami that we use on our pizza (sort of like pepperoni) and refreshed our Gossimer shelf stable milk. Glad pay day will come soon...as long as nothing really bad happens. Also put on a big pot of pinto beans with peppered bacon and then canned up 3 quarts for the frig/freezer. Heard them go ping just a bit ago even though they'll only be refrigerated. Left lots of head space so they should be fine. I'll let them cool completely though. Even though they've "pinged" they haven't been through the pressure canner, so it's the freezer or frig for them. We enjoy them for quick lunches.

I had an air mattress and liked it. It went flat on me though. Went to bed high woke up low. :24:

I liked that I could adjust the firmness by letting some of the air out. I'd like to have one of those Sleep Numbers bed but they are so expensive. Maybe when I move? My mattress is really shot. I keep flipping it and turning it around. Wow, just thinking about it, it is over 30+ years old! The cover looks like new because I always kept it covered and the box springs still have the plastic on it. But the middle looks like a sway back nag.

I wasted the day away today. I had some shopping to do but thought I had plenty of time since it was Saturday and stores would be open until 9:00pm. D-ex called and told me it was Sunday. I hate when I do that.

The newer air mattresses are built better I think. My dad's wife (she's a step-mom who's a wonderful lady...but only a few years older than myself :-) has one and loves hers I think the trick is to not fill them with too much air, so it gives you some "wiggle" room when you turn over etc. Have you tried putting a piece of wire mesh between your box springs and mattress? Used to do that many moons ago when me and first hubby couldn't buy a new one. I had one of those days yesterday too Jeepers :-) Was going to fix green bean casserole for the Moose's family dinner and found the french fried onions I had were sour when I opened the container! Learned the hard way those things do NOT store at all :-) I had already mixed up 5 cans of green bean short cuts as well as mushroom soup etc., so ended up having to pitch it all and within one hour had to mix up a bix batch of cheesy potatoes (had plenty of 'taters!) in my induction pressure cooker. Ran our tails off to get there on time only to find the published time was 5:00 and not 5:30...so everyone had pretty much finished eating when we trailed in. Went ahead and made a plate of "what was left" :-) I got a bit out of sorts though when I saw some of them coming back to the table and filling "go plates" (the styrafoam things) so I marched up to the table, covered my 'taters and took them back to the table. May be a bit naughty, but it really struck a nerve with me. Got up really early this morning so I could have some quiet time before I fixed MrWE2's lunch etc., and then went to work cleaning up the kitchen. Then I took the impact screw driver to the back porch and was going to remove the rack I want to move to the kitchen, and the battery lasted long enough to remove ONE screw :-) Called MrWE2 and "suggested" he run the battery home to me (since I had asked him to bring it with us when we brought the impact driver home) so I could finish the job. then when we tried to remove the remaining screws...the screwdriver shaft wasn't long enough, so he'll have to go by the garage at the homestead and pick a longer one up. Project at a stand still with all the wall stuff sitting on a table I have my dehydrator sitting on. Then got a call to barter some things out, so had to quit my project and let MrWE2 eat his lunch while I tended to the food exchange. I traded some of my homemade (pre-cooked) meat balls, some turkey ham chunks that I had vacuum sealed in the freezer and a gallon bag of chicken drumsticks for: 10 pints of Snickerdoodle milk (MrWE2 will drink that milk), two bundles of fresh parsley (which is now in the dehydrator) two 5# bags of red potatoes, a bag of potato chips, a container of oxyclean, a case of wheat salted saltines, and several bags of "snacks". I enjoy receiving food that I can dehydrate, pressure can, freeze ... or EAT! LOL Needless to say, right now my kitchen looks like a tornado went through it. I've also got laundry in the washer and in the dryer and probably could find something else to do if I wanted to...like stop for a minute here! :-) Sure glad MrWE2 isn't a neat freak and expect everything to be back to normal when he gets home :-) So Jeeps...sometimes we just have "those" days when everything gets so weird that we just kick back and relax! Chilling out here! LOL

Watching the snow come down. They'd originally predicted a LOT more and WIND. Well mebbe some parts are getting all that. The ski areas would love it. But I'm glad we aren't.

Very tired from visiting this week. :faint3: Fut but so wearing on me....and we didn't do that much.

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Another slow day. Was on the phone most of the evening getting my insurance straightened out. What a waste of time. Why is it I know I'm in the system, they tell me I'm in the system yet I keep getting notices that I'm not. Almost 2 hours of my time spent listening to muzak for nothing. Time wasters. Then my Ex-cousin-in-law called and chatted for about an hour. He is in the Baltimore/DC area that got hammered with snow. He told me I should get a snow blade for my tractor aka riding mower....hummmm

So now I have 3 days of errands to run tomorrow. I'm making a list or I'll never remember what I went out of the house for.

Participated in the Iowa Caucaus's tonight. The process between the democrats and republican's is quite different. I've participated in both at different times. I prefer the republican process...listen to speaker's for the candidates for 3 min and after those are done cast your vote. One candidate's speaker stated when it was his turn that Ben Carson had dropped out -- Ben Carson's speaker stated that wasn't true and before all the speaker's were done for the night, Mrs. Carson showed up to speak and reassure everyone her husband had not dropped out. It's looking to be an interesting night.

Edited by kyles mom

I never thought about those fried onions going bad. I'll bet they go rancid from the oil. Sigh. I'd better check mine too.

Yes! Check them! Mine were absolutely horrid!!! And you're right...had to be the oil.

Participated in the Iowa Caucaus's tonight. The process between the democrats and republican's is quite different. I've participated in both at different times. I prefer the republican process...listen to speaker's for the candidates for 3 min and after those are done cast your vote. One candidate's speaker stated when it was his turn that Ben Carson had dropped out -- Ben Carson's speaker stated that wasn't true and before all the speaker's were done for the night, Mrs. Carson showed up to speak and reassure everyone her husband had not dropped out. It's looking to be an interesting night.

I would have absolutely no respect for someone that would stand up and tell a lie! Glad Mrs. was there to call them up short!

Well.....did a lot of resting. Then HAD to go out in the snow and feed critters. Plowing friend came and suddenly, I get THREE phone calls while trying to dress/get out there and move my truck out of the way for plowing.

:rolleyes:

I can go three weeks without receiving THREE phone calls [not counting DH]. But one far away friend thot I "was dead" :lol: Meaning I hadn't YET responded when she sent me something. :busted: Kept meaning to. I work better with email than snail mail.....

But I finally got dressed, got truck warming up, got animal feed/water in truck...dancing around the snowplow truck coming up and down my driveway. Finally got down the hill and out of his way. Snowing the whole time I'm feeding.

NOW USUALLY.....I am QUITE PREPARED for anything, esp. in bad weather. But with the phone and plowing....I had forgotten several things that I always bring down. The worst was....I had no gloves with me. :grinning-smiley-044: Sheeesh, you're kidding, right? Before walking dog, I dug thru various bags that are always in my truck. Surely I put a spare pair of gloves/mitts? Found old pair of leather gloves with holes in 3 fingers....I'll take it! Went off in the snow [fortunate to have headlamp.....so vehicles know we're there] and brrrrrrr! I usually have a thin pair of gloves plus a thicker pair tucked inside snow suit. Also start with a thin head/neck tube and knit hat. A fleece hat/neck warmer is tucked into my snowsuit. I get too hot while active with feeding/shoveling/etc. But walking dog in snow/wind.....Brrrrr. :frozen: Would have been a night for switching to the warmer things. Less SNOW BLOWN DOWN MY NECK too... :blink:

Back up at the house, dear doggie wanted to play KeepAway with the 7-Up bottle. All was going well when she bolts out after the bottle I'd kicked to the far end of our "snow-pack rink" [aka: parking area] HOWEVER instead of stopping to pick up the bottle, she keeps going....all fired up and wants to do her ZIPPY DANCE. :twister3:

:sigh: Unfortunately, she caught me completely off guard.......cuz she WAY OVERSHOT the length of the retractable leash. YANK..... :blink: NOOOOOOOOOO! She lifted me off my feet and I skidded on my stomach with my right hand, still locked onto the retractable leash handle, stretched forward. OOOOOPH! Ow.

This time she was shy about coming over to me, but she finally did...since I couldn't move without help. Yeah....this WAS your fault! No surprise ZIPPY DANCE with me! I finally managed to regain my feet with the assistance of her harness. Oye....can we quit doing the falling down thing????

So everything after that has been done slowly and carefully. Fortunately, our 7-Up bottle game is the last thing we do....except sweep our way up the steps and get out of totally snow-covered gaiters/snowsuit/etc. Took homeopathic drops [anti-spasm] and got onto my lovely adjustable hospital bed. Hours later, I'm okay. My personal chiro will have to get hips corrected. They were definitely "adjusted" out of place. My forward-reaching right arm is sore.

She usually does not over-reach the length of leash......except if she gets wound up. Then I direct her to go in circles around me to take that energy burn. This.....did not work so well. :rolleyes:

MtRider ....can we quit winter now? Thankful DH is off tomorrow and can handle sweeping/shoveling/energetic doggie :amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Falls are dangerous :-( And the older you get the more dangerous they are. When we had some icing here a couple of weeks ago or so, I didn't even take out the trash because MrWE2 wasn't here. There's nobody around here during the daytime (they all work) and I would have had to have drug myself back to the house. When we're out at night I always hold on to MrWE2's arm because I don't see well at night and have taken some falls in my younger days because of it. It's just common practice now for me to hold his hand or arm when we walk...no mater where or when :-) Did most of the laundry today and it's folded and put away. Abby had a bought with her human daddy that ended up with her on the short end of the stick...being led out to her kennel to spend some time IN THE DARK :-) Even had to take her pillow away from her for the time being. It's at the foot of our bed, on my side...which is where I put it to let her know it's not her's to tear up. I'll give it back to her when I go to bead. Stepped on the scales and I'm not happy. Guess I've been sneaking too many "treats" of my own...up 4# :-( We nearly always eat a large breakfast, but we don't normally drink milk (especially Snickerdoodle milk) but eat yogurt instead. May have to alternate the milk with yogurt. I cut my lunch to a half a sandwich. This Sunday we'll be joining our friends for a superbowl party. We just enjoy getting together and watching the commercials. Then the 12th and 13th we'll be delivering Valentine flowers again this year. It's always so much fun to see people's face when MrWE2 carries the flowers up to them ... and we enjoy doing it together :-) I ride shotgun and keep track of where the deliveries are to go and then mark them off when we've delivered them. He only gets paid a bit above minimum and I'm a freebie. They furnish the vehicle now since fwe no longer have the mini van or a car. When we used our vehicle, they paid mileage. We really prefer using their vehicle. Guess I'd better go for now! Hiya 'all and stay safe and warm!

It realllly snowed a LOT more during the later evening and night. We woke to more snow than we'd had on previous two days and still falling. So friend came back again to plow. DH was here to help shovel/sweep/feed horses, goats, and ducks. Koa played in the snow...shoving her whole face under.

She has a GPS on her sticks. Even under a foot and a half of snow, she can find her sticks that she stashes on our walk thru the meadow. Plays with it for a time then leaves it for the next walk.

I would actually like snow if it didn't result in SO MUCH PAIN! Gettin' too old for this. Too many paths have to be cleared. Tooooo many steep hillsides that will pour meltwater down hill when they melt. Too much of all of it. DH adjusted me a while after we finally finished and came inside. With Nuprin and anti-spasmotic drops....and rest....I feel much better now. He's adjusted himself [with blocks] twice now and is still groaning when he moves. I'm low on energy and can't get up if I have to kneel on floor for something. But....Most snow is moved and we had sunshine for half the day. :0327:

MtRider ....are we done yet??? :grinning-smiley-044:

I always watch the Super Bowl too. I go between that and the Puppy Bowl. Guess which one gets more air time here? :happy0203:

Super Bowl reminded me, two nights ago I was going through some of the Youtubes I have stored away and came across the one Bud did for the Twin Towers. They said they would only run it one time and one time only. So far they have kept their word. Anyway...I watched it and cried. Very untypical of me. Must be getting old and soft in my old age.

(((((Mt_Rider)))) :pray: you find a place with less cold and snow.

Today: studies, cracked the ice off the water dishes, watered the garden - beats seem to be doing well, nothing else has sprouted outside. Watered the thyme, jalapeños, roma & beefsteak tomatoes, and the rest of the pots indoors that are 'hopefully' going to grow. Something is growing in the cucumber pot.

Worked on that painting another 4 hours, with breaks to cook DH breakfast - fried shredded potatoe, 1/2 of a sausage mashed up, 2 scrambled eggs with an handful of cheese on top. Changed the hen house straw and gave them new scratch in their extension. Fed the birds and watched Zippy come out and steal some of the seeds.

DH is trying to figure out what is wrong with someones firearm. It won't re-chamber. He'll figure it out, he always does.

Trying to determine "What's for dinner"..... We've had pizza, ribs, beans-n-rice with Mex. cornbread, burgers, and stir fry, home made this week, which makes it difficult to figure out, what's next.... lol

TV has been all about the election.... driving me nuts! I am so tired of it already! :gaah:

As for the Super Bowl, did you hear? The Broncos were in a bus accident as they were returning from practice, to go to their hotel. They said, no one was injured. And, I heard, Manning will have to have hip surgery after the game. Honestly, I really hope he decides to retire, for his body's sake.

Other than that, I began a new project. #1 of an idea that has been on my mind. I am not impressed, but we shall see what happens with #2.

Pulled out my dehydrator and began planning what I am going to use it for. Most of our food is eaten before we have time to 'preserve' it. The budget just has not been there. Then, this year's med. ins. cost doubled again. :0327: Thinking... that Violets recipe for french fries, adding vinegar to the blanching water will keep the potatoes from blackening. I'm going to try it as soon as I am able to by 10#s of potatoes. Life is a challenge.... thank God for expired canned goods given to us. :sigh: Geez, aren't I a bundle of joy? :sorry:

Removed the last two sire bins that were hanging on the wall on the enclosed back porch, and re-hung one of them under the new spice rack that MrWE2 hung on the kitchen wall for me. It's so nice to just look up and see at a glance the ones I use almost every day :-) Then...tackled the dreaded job of changing bed linens. It's such a chore to keep walking around the bed tucking this and tucking that. Then I remembered that the wood strips we bought to put between our mattress and box springs were still waiting to be inserted. And I did it! All by my lonesome! Yeh, me did it :-) Had to put some drawing salve on a finger. I guess I've got a metal splinter from my cheapy SOS pad in it and even MrWE2 couldn't dig it out. I guess you could say I'm going around with a stinky finger :24: and Abby-girl keeps going "sniff, sniff, sniff"... :24: Praising our Lord for the work that's been coming MrWE2's way. He's got a couple more week at the hotel, then we'll deliver Valentine flowers, and a lady called him because of a recommendation, and then when weather warms up up, we've got another work project to tackle. One of his customers took some of his biz cards to hand out at the monthly landlord's meeting...maybe we'll get some work out of that too? I'm always amazed that God's always ON TIME! Still got some #10 cans of diced tomatoes, #10 or to of peaches and some other #10's of stuff that I need to get dehydrated, but they're not going anywhere :-) Got my little coffee griner out and ground a quart of organic flax seeds. We use them in just about everything. It's hanging on my wall rack...right in view where I can re-fill the little sprinkle bottle. Took out the trash (I do that when MrWE2's working) and that's pretty much taken up my day...did get a little pair of lavender wrist warmers crocheted for a friend to give to his grand-daughter. She's a special needs child that is absolutely a darling and I'm hoping they will bring her joy :-)

Didn't do too awefully much. Did bake a cherry dump cake though and finished another pair of wrist warmers. I'll have several pairs finished for gifts this coming year. People enjoy them in the spring and fall when they really don't want to wear a pair of gloves. I use all my left over yarn balls to make my dish scrubbies or ??? Other than that I just played hooky today.

We went shooting yesterday. Practiced with my XD40, did better than last time. Then, got to shoot an Israeli Tovar, with a silencer. Unfortunately, people are messing up the area. We picked up 10# of brass before we began to shoot.

I took my usual walk-about and captured several photos of cactus.

Enjoyed the time with DH's friend.

Another day of just being a housewife :-) Found a recipe for Sazon powder that I got from the youtuber My Big Family Homestead. Equal parts of ground Coriander, ground Cumin, Paprika (I used smoked), garlic powder and salt (I reduced the salt greatly) and it's absolutely wonderful! I sprinkled it on our fish tonight when it was in my cast iron skillet.

Edited by The WE2's