MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

On 11/10/2017 at 11:56 PM, Mt_Rider said:

WE2....did you dehydrate the beets yourself for the "beet powder"?  We're a couple days over due to pick up a quantity of beets.  We like them just boiled.  We love them pickled.  But this year.....aiyiyi!  Not sure what we'll get done.    But I think tomorrow we can slip over and pick up what my gardening friend has left over.  .....she mentioned gunny sacks... :yum3:

Beets for energy......we feed shredded/dehydrated and rehydrated beet pulp [a comercial feed] to our old skinny horse.  One of the ancient horse feed supplements.

MtRider  :canning: 

No we buy the "Bountiful Beets" from WM, but plan to plant our own next year.  I'll probably just jar them up (because they'd stain my dehydrator trays etc.) and then just slip some into our smoothies.  We can sure tell the difference when we put that little scoop into our smoothies!

2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

It's so funny you guys mentioned good smells. I went to the store to pick up some meds and it smelled like heaven in there. The bakery must be cooking up something wonderful. When I got home, about a mile down the road I could still smell baked goods when I got out of the car. I have no idea where it was coming from.

I suppose I am just down wind from Miki. All that apple, cinnamon, caramel fragrance wafting in my direction. 

Sniff.png

Those odors sink into your hair, clothes and right up into your sinus's...

Got the bigger pumpkins jarred up this afternoon...9 pints.  Decided not to dehydrate because I love pumpkin chunks with butter, salt, pepper and chives.  I just drain a jar out and we've got some very tasty (squash) pumpkin.  Don't know why people think the only way they can eat pumpkin is in cakes, cookies and breads!  They are squash afterall :-)  Some time ago, we bought a couple of vegetable peepers (Swiss Star Peeler) and it is absolutely wonderful for peeling my pumpkins!  So much easier than peeling with a sharp knife. I still have 4 or 5 little bitty ones and one a bit bigger that I'll do tomorrow.  Can only stand on my feet so long before the hip and back start screaming at me :-( 

101_0673.JPG

101_0674.JPG

• Like 3

Made a "meat run" to our favorite Amish stores Saturday and picked up some lovely bacon (5# for 10$) and then a couple of rolls of turkey burger, a couple of small tenderloins and some veggie medley's.  We divide it all into small portions, vacuum seal it and then into the freezer it goes.  I think most of our shopping is now complete for the winter.

101_0672.JPG

• Like 2

You all are welcomed anytime!  We even have a guest room now!  I got the cookie dough in the fridge but then it was bedtime for goats and then revival at Church so the dough is still in the fridge right now.  Maybe get a few done in the morning before I have to leave at 9:30.  I really want to start some now but my ambition will die out soon.  LOL  Did I tell you all that the electric company did a great job taking down a tall tree by the rose garden and the power lines.  Took it for free and it wouldn't have been cheap if we were paying!  It also wouldn't have gotten done.  Thank you God!  Have a good evening!

Wow WE2!  $2 a pound for bacon?  That's an amazing price!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 2

Prepping to smoke/cook a 15 lb. brisket for Thanksgiving. The hickory chips are soaking, while I make the rub and mop for the meat. 

Watered the lawn, hoping the winter rye DH planted will sprout. Some beets I re-planted have sprouted, still waiting to see if any of the re-planted carrots sprout. 

Bleached the chicken water dishes, and refreshed their straw.

Stack up all the hedge trimmings that wouldn’t fit in the dumpster. 

Next, will be making a list of things I don’t want to forget, and figure out how I am going to fit everything into the car. :blink:

• Like 1

I forgot to take a photo of the owl cookies.  Sorry!  They were very cute and I will probably make again.

Not much going on today for me.  Going to water the blueberries and roses as we have not had much rain lately.  Gave the little girl goats a new mineral block today.  They get a spoon of loose minerals too so they get enough copper.  Maybe dust today and go to the last night of revival tonight!  

In the ongoing insurance saga, I am signed up for auto pay for health insurance and they have been auto deducting, until October when they didn't take the payment.  I paid last month and this month last night by phone with a confirmation # and they took me off auto pay.  Just weird, huh?

Going to Walmart tomorrow to get my new and better Christmas tree and a few other things.  More cleaning.  That's about it for now.  Have a great day!

Edited by snapshotmiki

I finally got the brakes fixed on the Jeep today. I sort of went in with a little 'tude. I figured I was in for a 'stern talking to' because I let them go for so long. Sigh. I told him they are bad, grinding and I know I should have had them fixed last month but I don't want to hear about it so just fix them. And they did. I just wasn't in the mood for a man talking down to me today trying to shame me. Not that he would but I wasn't even going there. And so, nobody got hurt.  And they rotated my tires for free. I must have looked stressed.   :008Laughing:

Then I swung by and got my oil changed. Lube Stop is no longer there. I liked them. Some 5 min. oil change is there now. They are super nice but they don't offer the same services that I used to get for the same price. They didn't check my lights, lube my doors, check the air on the tires and I'm not sure what else. No big deal but just something I noticed.

They told me my differential and transmission pan was a little wet so I need to keep an eye on those. How does one keep an eye on their differential and transmission? I suppose if they fall off I'll notice. Kinda like my tail pipe LOL.

• Like 2

HA, HA, HA...:runcirclsmiley2:Spent the whole day running down "why we have internet and not land-line phones".  Went to WM and bought new phones...not the problem.  Went to Dollar General and bought a cheap $10 land-line table phone...not the problem.  Mr. went outside and checked the interface...got the familiar "buzz" which said it was ok.  Came back inside and began to replace phone line filters...all ok.  Still no phone signal other than internet/ethernet.  Began to juggle the wall face plate plug while I listened, and off and on got a signal.  That was the problem.  Off to Lowe's to replace face plate.  Back, replaced faceplate, plugged everything in...YEAH!  All is well.  So...back to WM to get money back.  Off to Dollar General to get money back.  So...after a harrowing day, and lots of frustrations...our "problem" cost us about $10, time and gas.  I'm so glad I'm married to a "retired" builder/carpenter! :hapydancsmil:

• Like 5

Weather tomorrow is supposed to be drizzle and we're going to go see my Dad...Abby-girl will have to stay inside the house instead of in her kennel.  We don't leave her outside in bad weather of any kind.  We can't take her with us because she's so big and excitable and Dad's little Yorkie puddles in fear :-(  and we don't want her trying to love on Dad etc., if he gets up with his walker to go to the bathroom etc.  So, we just go, stay a short time, and come on home.  It is what it is.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:29 AM, Annarchy said:

Watered the lawn, hoping the winter rye DH planted will sprout.

:hapydancsmil:  Some of the rye grass is growing.  :hapydancsmil:

Working on getting everything together for the trip - 2 big dogs, 3 ferrets and us, in the car.  :0327:  I've decided the ferret cage will separate the dogs.  I sure hope it works.  House sitter is confirmed and will be taking care of the chickens.  Ferret porridge is ground and bagged, food & dishes, vitamins, supplements, and bedding, lots of dog food and treats, frozen food, clothing, baggies, paper towels & rubber gloves, for poopies, clothing and jackets, and my list goes on, and on, and on..........

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I have a landline phone but every time the electricity goes out the phones go out too.

Do you have a cordless landline?  We do but I keep an OLD "princess" phone for electric outages.

Wow, WE2.  Sure good that you have expertise and PERSISTENCE!  :thumbs:

Annarchy, will this be a longer Thanksgiving visit then?  Have a safe trip and a great time with MIL. 

We had a day in town. Doc visit....took stitches out.  :cheer:   She said it looked perfect!  The term is relative.  I still look like a train wreck but ...definitely improving. That took less time that it did to park/come up elevator.   :happy0203:  Then to DH's work to p/up check and then bank ....then still trying to find pellets for stove that won't disintegrate into sawdust.  Unsuccessful.  Bought a pack of $1 each little flashlights.  Stash them at point of use!  Price includes batteries.  Ones purchased a year ago are still on first batteries.  ...for all those "I can't see anything" dark corners of this place.

MtRider  ....now I'm flattened.  First time out since surgery.  :buttercup:

Edited by Mt_Rider

The phones in the house are cordless but the one in the garage is corded. I checked them all every time the power goes out and none of them work. If I need to call out, I have to use the cell phone.

There was already a phone jack in the garage when I moved here and it came in handy when son was here because we used to sit in the garage a lot in the summer. Also, I thought it would be wise to have a corded landline phone on the property. Maybe not. I just got a cheapy one at Wal-Mart. It works fine as long as there is electricity.   :shrug: .

I'm reading a dystopian type book about a killer flu virus. For some reason (I haven't gotten that far yet) the flu vaccine was compromised and everyone who got the flu shot is dying because it destroyed their immune system and the super virus is feeding off of whatever is in the vaccine. Anyway....in the book "they" are turning off all of the cell phone towers so people can't communicate with each other and cause a panic. The same with the internet for the same reason. I never even thought about that. I guess they can turn off the towers when they want to. No towers = no cell phone.

I'm really digressing here...again, but I still think there are 'kill switches' or even 'activate switches" on some of the satellites above us. To do what? Don't know. Probably anything they want to do.   :tinfoilhatsmile:

Jeepers, I am wondering if you can text 911.  When our cells are not working well, we can still text usually.  Does anyone know if that can be done?  If not, next time I see a cop, I'll ask.

I have to go to a funeral tomorrow.  First one for a church friend.  making an app for afterwards in the dining hall.  Then going home and making sweet potato cheesecakes.  one for home and one for Church potluck Sunday afternoon.

• Sad 1

I learned last night that two of our nephews, who've been in Texas for the past year, will be here for Thanksgiving!! :cele:

SOOOO Excited!! So I've kicked my goodie making into high gear and have been making cookies and fudge today, because DEAR LORD THOSE BOYS CAN EAT. 

BIL, DH, and I are the only ones who know the boys are coming. It's a surprise for the rest of the family, including MIL. :hapydancsmil:I can't wait. 

Edited by babysteps
  • Like 4

Well, our plans for the move are now up to plan AA....we have run thru the entire alphabet with revisions!

Our land is bush hogged and looks lovely and park like.  BUT the county zoning folks did not like the plan to plant the house across both lot lines.  They said it had to be on one or the other, for later resale.  Hmmmm.  So mobile home planting got delayed a day or two.  OK, we could handle that. 

The new owner asked to have the closing date delayed by 2 weeks, because his father in law died, and he missed work to handle funeral details, causing a cash flow glitch.  OK, we could handle that.  

This morning, just after we woke up, somebody showed up at the door.  They were here to measure the windows for the new owner - he wants to replace them and there is a sale on now, so they came early (before closing).  OK, we let them in and they traipsed about, but then went and told the new owner they could not get measurements because there was too much stuff in the way - - - no kidding - - - we are packing and EVERYTHING is pulled out of closets, shelves, etc for boxing up.  So new owner gets his knickers in a twist, calls the realtor and says if he has to move anything out he will charge us $5,000 (this after he had told us it was OK to leave some stuff behind because I can't help lift & move due to surgery & chemo issues).  Now he wants it 'broom clean'.  Oh crap.

Many phone calls later we have arranged for a man to come in for $25 an hour to remove unwanted items from the basement.  So we spend 6 hours rearranging (and boxing up) items to make it quicker and easier for him to remove discarded items we cant move - like the washer & dryer - quickly (to keep cost down).  

We cancelled my flight, because I will remain here to help Mary pack like crazy so the movers can pick up everything so he can get in to remove the non-moving items.  (I told her that since my white cell count was still robust it should be OK - I will just wear my mask while they are here, and hide with the pets.) I can also help her keep calmer - don't want her having stress - health issues, and she tends get more upset than I do over things.  We cant get a refund on the fare though. 

I had to call the chemo doc and tell them I would need an appointment for blood tests next week after all, since I would be staying until almost the end of the month.  Left a message on voicemail - everybody went home by 4:30 today - so I guess I will get a call back Monday.

So we are losing money two ways, but trying to keep the losses to a minimum.  Mary is fit to be tied, she feels betrayed by our purchaser.  She is mad as can be at him for the monkey wrench (In fact, I suggested we re-name our new place 'monkey wrench acres' in a moment of levity). Personally, I suspect he is trying to figure out how to get out of paying us the whole balance at closing....but then again, I'm a cynic.  Either way, it was a high blood pressure day.  Tonight we are both exhausted and looking forward to a nice sleep (after I give her a back rub), and tomorrow we get up and do it all over again.  We will be SOOOO glad when this is over.

Edited by kappydell
  • Sad 1

Miki, I'm sorry about your church family member.  :hug3:

I don't even know if I can text on a cordless landline phone. :blush:

My cell phone is never charged up. I only use it when I'm traveling out of town. Then I charge it up the night before. Last time I had to go out in the car and start it up and plug the phone in to call son to say nothing is wrong. Someone is still stuck in the 90's.  :D

That is wonderful news Babysteps!!!  :cele:

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Annarchy, will this be a longer Thanksgiving visit then?

Kinda, MtR.  Monday through Saturday instead of Wednesday to Sunday.  And everyone is going, instead of just DH or me.

I am hoping MIL doesn’t get too stressed with Gunny. He’s still a puppy at heart, and hasn’t realized how big he is. She’s OK with Grrr because he’s slow and old. 

Today, is house cleaning, and packing as much as possible. 

So so much to do, so little time. LOL. 

Keeping you you all in my prayers....  I hope everyone has a wonderful day. 

The way we understand the federal law, if you have a digital cell phone and decide to discontinue the service, the 911 feature will still work. You should also have a charger available as most people forget to charge their old cell phones. Emergencies always seem to come at the wrong time.   <_<

If you're trying to use an old analog cell phone (1990's), it probably won't call a 911 number. That bandwidth was resold by FCC and is no longer available.  :0327:

• Thanks 1

Today should be interesting, besides opening day of the gun deer season. A friend called and said that he is cleaning out a house. He does that in his spare time and sells or gives away most of what he finds. The house is within about a mile of us and he said to come on over and see if there's anything we would like to haul home.  :runcirclsmiley2:

• Like 3
On 11/17/2017 at 1:43 PM, Jeepers said:

I'll keep my eyes out for leaks on the garage floor. It is a 4 wheel drive.

I have a landline phone but every time the electricity goes out the phones go out too.

Putting down newspaper to park on usually lets you know what's leaning and where it's leaking from.  The newspaper holds puddles better than the floor, and you can smell them without throwing out your back.

:scratchhead:  hmmmm?  I'm trying to figure out how the electricity would be a factor in your non-electric phone, Jeepers.  Is it a rural vs city reality that I'm not familiar with????   

....Like the fact  that when the elect. goes out in rural areas....we lose WATER.   City water is gravity-driven once it's up in those water towers.  Or up mountain sides.  But for rural.....it's down in the wells yet and need electric pump to bring it to house. 

Can't figure why your garage cord phone isn't working....unless the electric problem is ALSO affecting your telephone switching station or wherever our calls go through????? 

Yeah....and remember red fluid under car means transmission fluid. 

OK.....y'all know I got the coveted PERFECT PATIENT award just yesterday.  ...... :busted:   Today DH and I had to deal with nearly 3" of snow sagging down my Circus Tent.  [yeah, that thing I can' t empty....put back into garage cuz of my lifting/exerting restrictions for another 2 wks]  My Circus Tent does have one high point but it has mostly low points.  3" of snow....melting...turning to HEAVY WATER and running to the lowest points will eventually cause rips.  Besides turning to ice and .....  :banghead:       .....uh, no... I DID NOT BANG MY HEAD.  Surely did feel like doing that!  FRUSTRATED! 

[ I hear you loud and clear, Kappy dear!!  Jumping over barriers while dealing with health issues is rotten!!   ((((KAPPY))) Your deals are bigger than my deals tho....]

But I did climb ladder and sweep off snow from top.  DH underneath in the chaos of stuff  [formerly neatly placed with rows to walk]  blown to smitherines inside Circus Tent.  When WIND goes thru..... blows tarp up like balloon and suction swirls air strongly within the Circus Tent.  It's made an AWFUL MESS of my order.  :motz_6: One step forward, 26 steps backward on my rear, it seems. 

DH managed to access enough areas to help push up tarp with the broom from inside to shove snow off!  It really does take two....before it melts!  I then threaded my way thru the inside and extracted the two shop lights with long florescent bulbs.  I've been keeping my eye on them...but decided to just move them back into garage for safe-keeping.  Breaking those all over would be super dumb and maddening.  :sassing: 

I don't think anything else is glass-type breakable in there.  Mostly buckets, totes, camping gear, and empty boxes that are gonna get slit and stacked to reduce volume.  ....when I get off this restriction. 

Then DH is running late for work ....so I walked the dog while he did the rest of morning feeding.  Catch him up on getting-ready time.  I actually sauntered the dog.  Came back and B [of our property manager couple] drove in...with master electrician son.  ??? 

Well yesterday we forgot to plug in our phone all day.  No one could even leave a message.  And it was unplugged til I got up this morning.  So J & B got worried.  B wanted to come to put that fix on the upper opening where the garage door doesn't meet door frame.  [avenue for rodents, cold air, dust, etc]  So B and ds drove over to check on us...knowing we're dealing with health ISSUES.  They didn't even know about my face stuff...but it was obvious looking at me.

Then we find out.....B nearly had the Big One recently! :o  His DD told him go to doctor cuz he was having stroke symptoms.  They went in for 95% clogs...got them cleared.  Told him he'd nearly had the BigOne.  Oh my!!!  So very glad he didn't!!!  Very nice guy.  So master electrician came along today to do the manual labor of garage door fix .....so his dad didn't do too much!!!  Not electric work.  Ahhhh....I get that! 

I haven't gone down to see it but they've gone now.  Perhaps....ya think it could be....I have a sealed up garage now??????  :pray:  Maybe???

DH ran off to get ready and leave for work.  I shoved some frozen fish fillets into the oven when I got inside.  I need protein FAST!  Didn't eat before I got the Circus Tent thing started.  :busted:  I am only working with half my brain lately!!!  Then I looked in the mirror and saw my face.  Aiieee.....it's darker color than yesterday [capillaries leaking a bit from over exertion/blood rush to face..aiiee]  and more swelling.  :sigh:  So I've had gel pack on face.  Sitting upright to drain.  Nuprin for anti-inflammatory.  And ate fish for hypoglycemic... 

Good heavens....I'm so high maintenance I'm frustrating me!  :buttercup:

MtRider  .....we now return to our regularly scheduled PERFECT PATIENT BEHAVIOR ......  until it snows again.  {I'm awfully dizzy too...}  :imoksmiley:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3