MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

Disability Adaptions....more ideas

This is a pretty good move on Target's part. {Did they announce this to counteract the flood of protest/boycott about their "OTHER" corporate decision recently?} :shrug:

ANYWAY....take a look at this new and ADAPTED shopping cart:

https://corporate.target.com/article/2016/02/carolines-cart

Then.....begin to think of things .... [NO....of course we're not suggesting folks rip off this type of grocery cart] But if we had a serious HOOEY HITS FAN.....we all know that one device on wheels is fairly readily available in urban areas is .... :shopping: Shopping carts.

So in dire circumstances, when you must EVAC and don't have a way to transport someone.....

Now think of this. Most of us who have mobility or fatigue/weakness or disorientation issues already have our own wheelchair. But....we can be separated from it. It can be damaged. Or some families haven't gotten around to getting Grma a wheelchair cuz she gets around the house fine and rides the disability scooters in the stores. Or...you might have a person with cognitive/emotional barriers that would have more trouble in an EVAC than the family is prepared for.

Remember CGA's dd? She had mobility but not the cognitive reasoning to MOVE! MOVE QUICK THIS WAY! That's what I'm talking about. Older folks have that too sometimes.

For whatever reason, when facing an unexpected and very necessary EVAC on foot.....any shopping cart might save the life of one in these categories.....as well as the caretaker desperately trying to get them out of harm's way.

A regular shopping cart would require the person to get inside the basket.... But sometimes that isn't possible. So think about that back wire 'wall' of the shopping cart... The part that swings up when they push several of the carts together. That's the piece that would have to be removed from the bar it's swinging from.

Of COURSE we would not damage property that is not our own....except in the case of saving lives. Restitution can be made later ...unless it's TEOTWAWKI. But a very heavy bolt cutters might do the job of removing that swinging back panel. Not sure about that tho... :shrug: BOLT CUTTERS have been on a prepper's BugOut list. Not for purposes of mayhem. Just making necessary EVAC possible when all has ...Gone South.

MtRider .... Wanna make a thread about EXPEDIENT DISABILITY ADAPTIONS? :shopping:

Remem ber a few years back we were brainstorming about how to get someone and her mom home if they had to walk? One idea was to swing the back up and out of the way so Mom could sit like this, maybe on top of bedding with some food at her back, while being pulled by Daughter wearing an adapted LBE harness. In that case Mom was alert enough to act as a good rear guard, which made her an advantage rather than a burden, should things come down to this.

I remember that discussion. But...the back panel really needs to be out of the way. If it's fully extended forward/upwards, it becomes a "lid" on the basket. No place for someone sitting upright. Unlesssss.....does that piece flip all the way over? :shakinghead:

I do know that wheeling grocery carts on anything but smooth flooring is difficult and BUMPY. Lots of padding to sit upon! Other alternatives with larger, more bump-absorbing wheels would be better. But...if there is nothing else to hand.... :shrug:

I wouldn't want to use it for the distance of going from TX back to ...where was The MacKinnon { I think it was}, heading back to? Tennessee?

Anyway, other alternatives that might come to hand during a reallly baaad emergency. How about the big dollies with 4 larger wheels. Like in hardware stores? That would handle rougher surface... a smoother ride and more room for stuff!

....any other ideas?

MtRider ....wonder how MacKinnon is doing. Wonder if her mom is still with her?

Edited by Mt_Rider

I sit here and think about my situation. Even today I was grateful just this weeks errands daily are limbering me up better. I like my idea for a motorized bike I can simply attach a bike trailer too and back up is my little wagon I can put a bin in and bungee cord down the lid on. Or if I get some wood ever, make a box for it.

My disabled friends down the street changed up their devices , the man more recently. He got a new medical issue type electric scooter and the handle bars are not humongous. Its a nice simple model and the footing area is pretty roomy and completely flat. He was able to walk their old dog up to the fire station yesterday to get the dog its rabies shot. My friend no longer uses one of those pull push style shopping baskets on wheels. The tires really did wear down so fast. She still has it, but her push, rolling walker with the brake , its seat is much better for her. She has had to figure out which size plastic bin and lid system worked best to bring stuff back from the store, but she just did that and has a nice little system.

So in case of major fire sweeping the area I can get them to the big creek probably. Its no more than four feet deep normally so in a bad fire, say we had that combined with winds or it was set on a windy day, I think I could get her for sure to the big creek and just have her get in it and stay in it . As to an evacuation, well that would be a very slow and limited situation. They really should contact the FD and find out if there is a local plan to help , I know they can help before the creeks flood badly if it is needed but you need to contact them and ask, they really don't go door to door usually. BEFORE IT floods that badly.

I quite frankly am not up to pushing someone and carrying my own pack and gear along, that is a full grown adult if they are an adult size person, due to my own difficulties and I don't move real fast either, but im glad i am feeling better and every little bit helps it get better and smoother. But the neuropathy pain really wipes me out after some mileage, you grit your teeth but it wipes out my feet along with OA in my feet now too, double edge sword. My lower back is starting to bother me again and I have to be really careful about it, so I am going to only do what I can manage.

At this point I can only work to increase my muscles and tendons abilities again, so that is what i am working on.

And going up steep roads, well that is going to take lots more times doing it before it gets easier again..... lol. Trying to get over to that big pond a couple weeks ago, well that told me so! Wow. It was quite the work out and having been so sedentary, yikes. I miss my teens and twenties big time!

Muscles atrophied and the fibro and some of the NF lumps, more are growing , can do weird stuff to the tendons in my arms, so I am working every day with exercises to limber up and strengthen myself and get my shoulders back to as full a use as i can so I can swing an axe etc. It's like baby steps compared to what I used to be able to do , but it does add up.

There is no one who would push me around either if I needed it, lol.

Where I would choose if its chaos is pretty rugged too but I can get down there on my scooter I already have or walk if I pace myself and once off the road can hide and rest if need be and then work my way in if I got a spot set up to go to ... then I just have to get to Point C after i stash the scooter.

One can hide from 'zombies' almost all along the road in a pinch too, and since that wee scooter doesn't go too fast, that is a very good thing and even if I am walking with a wagon, its concealable if necessary. Either way I went, Ive already thought about that. As long as you are alert, hopefully you could go the distance and hide if its obviously necessary for a bit if 'zombies' are going through those roads. It's so quiet around here you would probably hear 'zombies' coming anyway.

So, I take things in much smaller bites now. I can balance on a bike, so with the current wee budget, the bike, motorized will do fine, and I can get a bike trailer of some type, some are just like little utility trailers and one could do a nice job outfitting with those, with covers for weather issues and containment, and others are the more styled typical dome like ones, and those are limited on weight and volume in their own way. Making a trailer is nice but the hook up systems, if you can fabricate something durable that works that is great. The ones with larger diameter wheels and suspension systems carry more weight.

The motor can be disengaged and you can pedal the bike too, so its good to have that capability too. It really would expand my ability to get around the larger area here too so I am going to pursue that this summer.

One can adapt those particular rear mounted motors for trike bikes but if it has a large rear basket, that basket setup has to be modified possibly.

I know someone mentioned that on the motorized scooter bike site too so its just something to think about when it comes to difficulty of balancing and one might need the trike bike instead of a bicycle, one can add an 2.5L gas tank and fuel cut off valve and extra fuel line for it as well. With a 38cc engine one can get about 180 mpg and the engine itself has a small gas tank which I don't know how much it will hold exactly. Between the two , its probably about 3/4 gallon which is more than sufficient for my needs. I can deal with it here.

When my spouse became suddenly disabled, we had to modify our home and life, and preps....alone. The medical people claim they never heard of a 'transfer board' and offered to sell me an electric lift to get my spouse into his wheelchair, never mind it could not get him in the car to go to physical therapy. We got mad...we made our own adaptive aids - I made a slider board; we re-rigged our clothesline with 500lb test line so he could use it to help practice walking; we pounded huge nails into the yard light pole (a telephone pole size pole) so we could wheel him out to practice standing up. The first time he could stand up for 15 seconds, with help. After 6 months he was walking with a cane, outdoors. We rigged the car with rope handles so he could help pull himself up with his arms, while I boosted him into the seat (he weighed 300 lbs at that time). The physical therapist was astonished and amazed - bless him he worked with us instead of condemning us. The rest of the 'establishment' said I could not possibly take care of him at home....wanna bet? He lived 7 more year at home. He died there, too, sitting in his recliner, watching re-runs of Law and Order (his favorite TV show).

The marines are not the only ones to improvise, adapt and overcome. OOOOOO-Rah!

Thanks for the inspirational story, Kappy. It hasn't been a good energy week here and good stories/ideas are always welcome.

MtRider :grouphug:

Kappydell,

Thank you for this,i am going to try the washing line idea.

I can not stay up long on my feet before i fall, so this idea should help me with that. :happy0203:

This is less TEOTWAWKI and more everyday emergencies. But if you have differently abled people in the household.. especially ones with mental disabilities so that they may look normal but not function normally..

a lot of sheriff/police offices and fire departments are able to enter notes into an address so that if something happens the responders can be made aware of the situation. Think of the situation where a young man with the mental capacity of a 7 year and the body of a 16 year old matches a very general description of someone wanted for something and the police see him in his own yard and they come screaming in shouting at him. He's not going to respond as an adult.

Also find out who orders and communicates evacuations. They may have a list for people who need more help as well.

Suncat....They have that evac list where I live and ...I think I'm on it. If the fire-guy who told me about it did remember to put me on. :shrug:

Wearing a medic alert bracelet may be nerdy but ....better than dead. If all else fails in communications [as it can with my heat meltdowns....I'm STILL talking scrambled tonite from earlier today] ....then shove the wrist with the alert bracelet into someone's vision and hope for the best!

MtRider :knary:

I've probably mentioned this before but it is probably worth repeating. On another site I watch (yeah the dog site again) an elderly woman has ropes throughout her house hanging from her rafters. It started when her husband developed Alzheimer Disease. He was having balance issues so she strung up ropes through the house so he could grab on and not fall. As his disease progressed, she hung bells on the ropes so she could easily find him. I suppose he wandered.

When she started raising puppies she kept the ropes so if anyone was in with the pups and became off balance, they could grab onto the ropes and not step on a puppy. It's such a great idea for anyone with balance issues or needs something to hold on to when standing up.

I'll post a picture of one below. BTW, these are heavy ropes and she does have sturdy rafters.

Also there is an excellent video of one being used by one of the puppy sitters. It's really funny in a way but it also shows the rope being put to use in the puppy pen. The video is only 1:14 long but you can skip to the 55 sec. mark and see it in action.

I always keep those ropes in the back of my mind.

Okay, it won't let me post the picture and video in one post so I'll post the video below this one. :girlneener:

post-2492-0-00503800-1469159188_thumb.jpg

Lol! Nothing like spinning on a rope with a puppy attached to your sock.... :D

It really was funny. :24:

But she didn't step on a puppy! LOL, she couldn't get off live camera fast enough. :008Laughing:

Edited by Jeepers

:24::008Laughing::laughkick: I decided to splurge on our bandwidth and watch that one. Hilarious! She could have fallen hard if she hadn't gotten hold good and tight. And pup on the sock.... :grinning-smiley-044:

MtRider ...gonna have to remember that one. Right next to where I try to get out of bed.....wobbling a lot. Before I can get my hand on the quad cane... Or... Trying to get out of the water bed if I'm not using the hospital bed.....that would help and we have exposed log rafters in this log cabin. Hmmm....

MtRider :imoksmiley:

I always try to post short videos when I can and give the time when the important part is on because I know you have limited bandwidth. I think those ropes are genius. Different sounding bells to locate a loved one or for them to grab the rope and ring the bell if help is needed. Now they just hold puppy toys at the end. :D

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.