MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Information signs in emergencies

From EE blog: http://beprepared.com/blog/18740/preparing-children-emergency-signs/?oc=INEM3634&sc=EMAIL&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=emer0817%20-%20INEM3634&utm_term=Master%20-%20Promotions

Signs for First Responders/LEO .....

Such as:

Oxygen in Use

Baby On Board

Child's bedroom signs on window for firefighters

Autistic person ...[may not respond to verbal commands]

Wheelchair user

Discusses pros and cons.....and there are some reasons why designating the child's bedroom may be a bad idea. :darth duck:

Things to think about. I've always carried several index cards. One for each of my MS symptoms like Heat meltdown [hyperthermia], Fatigue meltdown, etc. and one for Hypoglycemia. If I'm at the point of being non-verbal, it's much easier to just hand them the appropriate card. I also wear a Medic Alert bracelet and it indicate MS....AND a description of the hyperthermia. that's the one that's deadly for me and can look like seizure.

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Some things like the Autistic person may be something that could be kept in a computer file so that when dispatch pulls up the info on the house, they'll get that info. I don't know what may be allowed in the files but it's something to find out about.. that would help you the same as the signs without the dangers of predators also seeing the signs. Or at least way less chance.

I used to have one of those signs in my son's window for firemen. Then I had one on the front door saying I had a dog inside. That was mostly so emergency people wouldn't leave the door wide open when they came in. All of that was way before computers and talk of all the perverts in the world now. They were still out there I'm sure, but it wasn't as easy for them to stalk as it is now. For the same reason I wouldn't advertise where a disabled person sleeps. It just shows the world there your most vulnerable areas are. And don’t forget that now with Google Maps front and many side windows are clearly visible so the signs would show up on a computer search of your house.

Personally, in today’s world, I wouldn't advertise where my child's bedroom is. I wouldn't mind the 'pet' sign on the door though. Might deter someone up to no good. Most dogs will bark to high heaven if someone is at the door but a cat would probably run away so a sign would be helpful.

Then, they told people to keep your information (especially medical) on your refrigerator. That is an item in everyone's home and always in the kitchen. First responders were instructed to look there if the patient didn't have a medical alert necklace or bracelet on. If you didn't want it on your refrigerator, you could store it inside. Some places even sold the little containers to store info in. I don't know if they still do that now or not. There was some acronym for it but I can't remember what it was.

Years ago I remember seeing a sign on someone's door that said, "No Smoking. Oxygen in use."

One problem with signs is that people become so used to them that after a time they ignore them. I can't remember the last time I saw a "Baby On Board" sign or one of those child bedroom signs. Maybe people still use them and I just don't notice any more. Kind of like with car alarms. No one pays any attention.

I've thought about what I would do if I ever got breast cancer and had to have lymph nodes removed. You aren't supposed to have anything constricting on that arm. Taking your blood pressure on that side could cause serious lymphedema that may never go away. Having high blood pressure, my pressure gets taken quite often. Also that tight rubbery band they use before they draw blood or insert an IV can cause a lot of damage. I've read where a lot of women are getting a small tattoo on their affected arm stating they are not to have anything tight on that arm. I don't remember the wording they were using. At least you wouldn't forget to wear it or lose it. Not a pleasant thought but something I would consider if I was in that situation. I read where medics are looking for those tattoos too.

Something I just thought of is for diabetics. Having the dosage you use tattooed on your stomach near the injection site. Of course if your meds change....

Then again there is always (cue scary music) "The Dreaded Chip" We all know the evils of that and all of the conspiracy theories but having a medical chip is probably around the corner. The technology is already there. To be honest, if I was caring for a loved one with a serious medical condition like Alzheimer's or dementia or a child with autism, I might consider that. Might.

We noticed while driving through some areas that they have signs posted on the street such as "Autistic child nearby." I wonder if they're in some database where the police know they're there if there is a call.

We've been known to write our phone numbers on the kids' upper arms (under their shirt sleeve) in Sharpie when we've been out and about places.

I have my phone set to where it shows my husband's phone number on the lock screen if I lose it or can't answer, and my husband, mother, and father are set up where you can call them without unlocking the phone.

I haven't seen those signs about an autistic person in the area but I have seen signs warning of a deaf or blind person in an area. I forgot about those. They are nice because they don't point out the house. Of course a wheelchair ramp would be a give away for the mobility challenged.

I have a feeling you can alert the first responders in your area if you have a special need. I know when my cousin was on home dialysis they notified the power company and if the electricity went out their house would be one of the firsts to have it restored.

I never thought about writing a number on a child's arm with a sharpie!

I never thought about writing a number on a child's arm with a sharpie!

Ours are old enough to ask someone to call, but don't always remember phone numbers. There are very few places where we do not have our cell phones.

We also take walkie talkies when we're going to be in a crowded place. Each kid and my husband has one, with extra batteries.

I definitely would not want to label the kids' windows, especially since we're still working on that whole "shutting the curtains before you change" thing.

I don't think I'd want to have any obvious evidence of somebody with a disability, as some people might assume you would have pain meds and such.

Here, road signs are available for the asking from the county, such as deaf children, with only a doctors statement.

I used to see back home, sheets of reflective decals to be put on outside windows for fire/emt. They were free hand outs with the volunteer fire departments there, with their contact numbers, etc, on the sheets. I remember 'OXY' for oxygen, a blue flame for natural gas/lp, a cat, a dog, a 'yuck' face for fertilizer/chemical storage, a gas mask, ... You have the idea.

If you have volunteer fire/emt in your area, I would ask, and if not, suggest it. \

In our case, as small and as tight knit a community we are, such are not needed. But one also sees the safety triangles hanging, letting folks know that this is a 'simple' family.

Sarah

Around here, we get a lot of winter visitors. Many have handicap license plates, however, the bad guys have been targeting the cars and people that have them. I have the placard for the mirror because I don't want to be an obvious target.

It is a sad state, when we have to worry about broadcasting our limitations, because others will take advantage of our weaknesses.

<snip>

It is a sad state, when we have to worry about broadcasting our limitations, because others will take advantage of our weaknesses.

Annarchy......that's exactly what I've been thinking, even as I posted this article. Within the article they mentioned that danger as well. It's UNBELIEVABLE that we are potentially endangering ourselves by showing a weakness. Do you know it means we have a very active and powerful PREDATORY POPULATION? HOW did our rather civil society disintegrate into total barbarism so quickly. Where if you have the might....you can do anything you like to those who are weaker in some way.

HOW HAVE WE ALLOWED PREDATORS [not just in a physical sense but also the calculations of "white collar" predators too] TO RISE UP AND BE SO SUCCESSFUL THAT WE MUST HIDE OUR WEAKNESSES.....AND THAT OF OUR CHILDREN.

:runcirclsmiley2::animal0017::ph34r::tapfoot::behindsofa: :darth duck:

So many emotions about this topic. God help us all.... :pray:

MtRider ...who is :hidingsmile: AND :darth duck:

That is the exact reason I have been getting defensive training. The type our friend teaches uses very little force and you can drop even the largest person to their knees.

I wonder though. Statistics show that kids are safer now than they were when I was growing up. I wonder how much of the danger is the perception because now we know what happens to people from all over rather than mostly our town and nearby towns. And I think this applies to a lot of things. Anytime anyone claims that something is horrible and is pandemic but objectively you're mostly either hearing about the same event over and over and over ad nauseum.. or you hear about only a few events that are quite dispersed. I think in a lot of cases the accessibility of the internet and they hype of the media create a feeling of danger that is out of proportion from reality.