MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

EpiPen Price Hike

Have you heard about the price hike in EpiPens. Today they were $600.00 for a set. I really hope no one here relies on them to live. Actress Sarah Jessica Parker went on a rant about them because her son has a nut allergy.

"Sarah Jessica Parker dumps EpiPen maker over price hike"
August 25, 2016

Saying she is “disappointed, saddened and deeply concerned” by the price hike of the EpiPen, actress Sarah Jessica Parker has cut ties with the company that makes the emergency allergy treatment.

Parker, whose 13-year-old son James Wilke has severe peanut and hazelnut allergies, was part of a short campaign with pharmaceutical giant Mylan N.V., maker of the EpiPen. She was never a spokeswoman.

The company is facing heated criticism about the average cost of the EpiPen climbing more than 600 percent over the past decade.

Parker took to Instagram on Thursday to distance herself from the company and urged it to “take swift action to lower the cost to be more affordable for whom it is a life-saving necessity.”

A representative for the actress confirmed the statement was accurate.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/25/sarah-jessica-parker-dumps-epipen-maker-over-price-hike/

"Here's what you need to know about the CEO behind the big EpiPen price hikes"

Mylan CEO Heather Bresch is coming under new scrutiny for her company's decision to raise the price of lifesaving EpiPens more than fourfold over the past eight years.

For people who closely watch the pharmaceutical industry, Bresch is well-known. But among a broader audience, few people know who she is.

That is changing as Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, the American Medical Association and a number of U.S. senators are calling on Bresch to roll back the steep price hikes on EpiPens.

So, who is Bresch, and what is her backstory?

The CEO is the daughter of a U.S. senator. She reincorporated her U.S.-based drug company in the Netherlands, which cut its tax liability.

She also retroactively was awarded an MBA from West Virginia University while her dad was governor of that state despite not having enough academic credits. At the time, the university's president was both a former lobbyist for her drug company and a high school classmate of hers.

And Bresch has also overseen her company's increase in the price of EpiPens from $100 in 2008, to more than $600 for some customers today. During that time, her compensation has risen nearly 700 percent

When Bresch took over as CEO in 2012, Mylan's stock was trading at almost $22 per share. The shares are up 101 percent under her leadership. Revenue has risen 38.5 percent since she took over, to $9.47 billion at the end of 2015.

Bresch, 47, has been thrust in the spotlight in recent days after colleagues of her father Sen. Joe Manchin, D.-W.Va., in the Senate have expressed outrage about the stunning price hikes for EpiPen, a device that contains just a dollar or so's worth of the drug epinephrine.

EpiPens are used by people having an allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis, which can be fatal. People with allergies — or parents of children with allergies — are encouraged to have multiple sets of EpiPens for home, school and elsewhere. While insurance often covers some of the cost, many people have to pay out of pocket for the devices, sometimes up to the full price.

Clinton, a former senator from New York, on Wednesday called Mylan's price increases "outrageous," and "just the latest troubling example of a company taking advantage of its consumers."

"Since there is no apparent justification in this case" for the EpiPen price hikes "I am calling on Mylan to immediately reduce the price of EpiPens," Clinton said in a statement.

The AMA, the nation's largest doctors' group, earlier Wednesday said that "with lives on the line, we urge the manufacturer to do all it can to rein in these exorbitant costs."

Bresch, who has been CEO since 2012, did not return a request for comment from CNBC on Wednesday.

Neither did Mylan nor Bresch's father, Manchin, whose Senate colleagues are calling for hearings on the price of EpiPens, and one of whom, Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., has asked for the Federal Trade Commission to investigate.

Employees at Mylan and a political action committee affiliated with the company from 2009 until 2012 contributed a total of $127,500 toward Manchin's special election to the Senate and then re-election in 2012, the second-largest amount of any single company toward Manchin, according to OpenSecrets.org. Records from Open Secrets show that Mylan has given $72,543 to Senate and House of Representative members' campaign committees so far this year, but Manchin's more than $57,000 haul in 2012 from the company is more than five times the amount the firm gave to any other single candidate.

On Wednesday, Wells Fargo, in a research note, said that disclosure documents show that Mylan has been "actively lobbying" in favor of a bill in the Senate that would mandate that all airlines, domestic and foreign, carry at least two packs of epinephrine auto-injectors. EpiPens are, by a large degree, the most commonly used devices of that nature in the United States.

Mylan has spent a reported $875,000 on lobbying so far this year, after having spent $1.55 million in 2015, according to OpenSecrets.org,

On Tuesday, CNBC noted how Bresch's company, in addition to hiking the price of EpiPen by double-digit percentage amounts ever since Mylan acquired the device in 2007, has also been sharply raising the prices of other products this year.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/24/heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-ceo-behind-the-big-epipen-price-hikes.html

I just read about this a few minutes ago. My good friend/neighbor is TWO Epi pen doses away from the nearest hospital that takes her insurance. She nearly died as her husband tried to get her there one night with only one dose available. After quite a fight, the insurance company agreed to a second Epi pen. [Would have made more sense to let her into the ER that is half the distance of the 'insured hospital'...]

So now....will they still pay for TWO of these golden devices? They'd probably tell her to move.

MtRider :banghead:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I remember a few months ago (maybe last year) when the same thing happened with an aids drug. I don't remember the outcome though.

It's strange that I've been seeing commercials on TV for the EpiPen lately. I never noticed them before a couple of weeks ago. I remember because one of then had a child talking about needing it. Well, they could be a couple of months old because I DVR some shows and then watch them a month or so later. But still...the timing is probably no coincidence.

It is one of the most common items for diabetics both Type 1 ( insulin dependent ) and Type 2 that advance into Type 1 over time for many Type 2 diabetics.

That price gouge hike , a year ago was a cancer drug.... that punk CEO got his for that ,

I hope Epipen CEO get's 'theirs'.....

Most persons I know struggle to afford adequate medicines vital to survive on in the first place, of which insulin is one.

I am so far very mild in my needs as a Type 2, but it can still change, resistance to insulin by my body or pancreas production rates ..... can get a lot worse, sometimes simply like it was overnight...

I am sorry for every diabetic needing this Epipen running into this horrible situation.

For some reason, I mistook the Epipen to be the flex pen or whatever diabetics item for delivery of insulin ..... sorry, my brain didn't click right when I saw the brand name....

Epi Pen is for allergic reactions not diabetes.

Scuse......me....... sigh.

I believe Sarah Jessica Parker has now ended her ( working) relationship with Epi Pen , due to this outrageous price hike..... according to news trends today..... her own son had to use the Epi Pen... she is seeking other methods to help him for his health needs now. Sarah is just a little ticked off.

( She is an actress, btw. )

No problem Sass. I didn't think they were used for diabetics but there is a whole lot of stuff I don't know!

I don't follow any actors or their opinions but I am glad she brought this to the forefront. I'm sure she could afford any medicine out there but it was nice to bring it to the attention of the rest of us and the media.

Thats what I thought, Jeepers. She has worked hard in her career too. Her son is 13, he has bad nut allergies.

Ends up the Epi Pen CEO has close ties to the Clintons.. Clinton Foundation too. And they are collecting funds and such by 'donations's of grand magnitude..'.. to which favors are done politically. Convuluted mess, that stuff, but its bonafide about a connection ....

Seeing stuff floating around now saying that as long as your doc writes the script so that you can get generics and such you can still get the basic med and delivery for much cheaper.. just not name brand.

From what I've seen, if your script says Epipen, they are required to fill it only with an Epipen because they want to ensure your doctor properly trained you on the device.

This goes over a few alternatives: http://www.livescience.com/55911-epipen-alternatives.html

I read where a generic brand could be coming out as early as next year. So many people, especially children, have nut allergies. And also insect bites/stings too.

When I was a kid we never heard about nut allergies. Now it seems like everyone and their brother has it. Along with gluten intolerance. We never heard of that either.

I blame modified foods. JMHO :tinfoilhatsmile:

The epi was the generic. Epinephrine. Replaced the military units. We had the military units in the CD kits. I do not know if such are still used. Ask any service member, from the mid eighties on, about the NBC 'auto injector'. I know the Army had to do annual testing to show 'proficiency'.

I think you may be right about 'modified' foods.

Sarah

Modified foods, additives, etc .......AND we're way to sanitized with our little ones. They find farm kids develop better immune systems than babies raised in sterile environments. Course....there IS a balance in that equation.

MtRider :shrug:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I have a child in my class with a nut allergy and the epi-pen in the locked box. Makes me wonder if thefts will go up with these because they are so expensive...

Bolding below is mine.

A Generic EpiPen Is Coming at Half the Price, But Don't Get Too Excited
Aug 30, 2016

Hell hath no fury like an EpiPen-carrying mom. After Mylan pharmaceuticals, the maker of the EpiPen, recently announced a large price hike to the tune of more than $600 for a two-pack of the life-saving medication used by many families for emergency treatment of anaphylaxis, the backlash over social media was fast and furious.

Doctors, consumer advocates, politicians and even former spokespeople for the EpiPen have criticized the company’s price hike and characterized it as “greedy” and “unfair.” Although few people pay full price out of their own pockets, anyone with a high-deductible health plan or has no insurance at all would likely be paying the outrageous cost all on their own.

For context, an EpiPen cost a mere $57 in 2007, according to USA Today. After the recent price hike, the cost for a two-pack soared to $608, more than a 500 percent markup since Mylan acquired the rights to the drug from its previous owner.

The pharmaceutical company more or less has a monopoly on the epinephrine pen market, as its main competitor was taken off the market in late 2015 and previous reports indicated that a generic version isn’t scheduled to hit the market until at least 2017 due to a setback from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Mylan jacked up the price in anticipation of the generic from Teva Pharmaceutical Industries to bump their profits before the generic becomes available.

Mylan had previously offered $100 co-pay rebate coupons for those needing help paying for their prescription, but it was deemed to not be nearly enough. On August 25, after much criticism, the company announced it would offer coupons covering up to $300 “for patiences in health plans who face higher out-of-pocket costs” and would double the income level that makes families eligible for assistance in purchasing the medication (previously it had been double the federal poverty level). That means a family of four with income up to $97,200 wouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for the medication. But that $300 coupon still wasn't enough to quell the critics.

Sarah Jessica Parker, whose 13-year-old son suffers from a life-threatening peanut allergy and who has long been a spokesperson to raise awareness of anaphylaxis, cut ties with the company after the hike, saying “I’m left disappointed, saddened and deeply concerned by Mylan’s actions.” She went on in an Instagram post to say that she ended her relationship with the drugmaker as a “direct result” of the way the price was raised, making it cost-prohibitive for many, even those who have insurance.

Although the brand-name EpiPens will not come down in price, the company will make a generic version of the patented device available at just less than half the cost. The new generic version should be available within a few weeks; however, the Mylan co-pay coupons cannot be applied to the generic epinephrine pen, according to the Wall Street Journal.

“We understand the deep frustration and concerns with the cost of EpiPen to the patient,” said Mylan CEO Heather Bresch in a statement, "and have always shared the public’s desire to ensure that this important product be accessible to anyone who needs it.” A news release on the pharmaceutical company's website explained the process by which they are trying to bring the generic product to market as quickly as possible.

https://mom.me/news/35100-generic-epipen-coming-half-price/

Technically legal. Possibly a good business decision for the stockholders. But ....some things just ain't right.... :shrug:

Do you suppose parents will pull their children out of schools for a while...to decrease chance of accidental exposure to food, perfume, other deadly allergies?

MtRider :sigh:

Edited by Mt_Rider

It's a possibility. There are so many other triggers beside peanut. And we aren't talking about an annoying rash. Anaphylactic shock is life and death and minutes count. So many children are affected from allergies. I know, I'm preaching to the choir, but it really angers me that someone could die because of not being able to afford the pen.

Maybe the government (Obamacare) should supply the pens to schools and a child would have to have a doctor and parent to sign a release form. Of all the garbage my taxes go for in this country and in foreign aid...this one I'd gladly pay for.

P.S.

I had to look up how to spell annafilactic. :happy0203:

Maybe if they are sued a few times because of deaths? Like they won't put up a traffic light until a certain number of people die. Money spent on lawsuits may speak louder than complaints.

And that is just wrong but how things seem to work!

• 2 weeks later...

It's a possibility. There are so many other triggers beside peanut. And we aren't talking about an annoying rash. Anaphylactic shock is life and death and minutes count. So many children are affected from allergies. I know, I'm preaching to the choir, but it really angers me that someone could die because of not being able to afford the pen.

Maybe the government (Obamacare) should supply the pens to schools and a child would have to have a doctor and parent to sign a release form. Of all the garbage my taxes go for in this country and in foreign aid...this one I'd gladly pay for.

P.S.

I had to look up how to spell annafilactic. :happy0203:

Maybe emergency medical care should be available in schools without a prescription. Let the nurse's office keep a few sets on hand (it takes 2 to get some people to the hospital) instead of telling people they have to bring 2 to school. To heck with a release form, if the kid is in anaphylaxis, give it to them. That's what the EMTs will do when they get there anyway!

When I worked on the immunization bus at the health dept., I had to requisition pens when they went out of date. They expired within a few months if I remember correctly (20 years ago). Cost could really add up if kids had to keep them current at school!

I still do not understand this.

I would ask the doctor for an amp of epinephrine, 1:1000, 1mg/ml, and a tuberculin syringe.

(Actually, not true prescription, but...)

I do not know the dosage, but that can be googled.

Preloaded with cap on needle.

Cost? Less than $10.

Sarah

I still do not understand this.

I would ask the doctor for an amp of epinephrine, 1:1000, 1mg/ml, and a tuberculin syringe.

(Actually, not true prescription, but...)

I do not know the dosage, but that can be googled.

Preloaded with cap on needle.

Cost? Less than $10.

Sarah

I've read that there are issues keeping them preloaded, but I'm not sure if it was light or air or what.

Hmmm....still......if this obviously [ now that Sarah pointed it out] does not have to be injected into a vein...... Even if it's not preloaded. Those around folks with these dreadful allergic reactions could be easily trained to load/administer if the person themselves was unable to do it. Load/administer would take little time if the person was trained and practiced with water. Needs just one of those short needles, right?

Of course the Epipen is certainly as simple and fail-proof as you can get. But....there does seem to be options if one works for them.

Is the epinephrine okay without refrigeration? Epipens don't need it, do they?

MtRider .....yeah, thinking outside the box is good in our ever-changing world! :thumbs:

I don't know that much about it. If I had someone in my immediate family who was in danger, I'd ask my doctor for some preloaded syringes. I doubt if I'd get them though.

I don't know if the Epipens are 100% epinephrine or if it's diluted or anything added to it or not. I just don't know. I do know epinephrine is very dangerous if not used correctly. I suppose it's dosage depends on a persons weight. There is an Epipen Jr. for kids.

From what I've read about the pens, you are not supposed to refrigerate them. You're supposed to keep them at room temperature. Also the only place you are supposed to inject them is in the middle, outside, upper thigh.

They do expire and lose their strength. I suppose that's why they are sold as a set. I tried to see what the shelf life of an Epipen was but couldn't find it.

All of that info was for the Epipen. Emergency rooms will do an epinephrine I.V. but I don't know the whys or wherefores behind that decision. With an I.V. it would be diluted. Probably with a saline solution.