MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WITH LITTLE WARNING - Top 10 ...kitchen

Here's the scenario:

War is here. It's not one of those Nuked EVERYTHING wars. It's a war of invasion and conventional bombs. It's not all over cuz....we're such a big country, y'know. So.....like is happening all over the globe in real life right now....you and yours hear that your neighborhood, your small town, your area is falling to the enemy. [this is fiction so I'm not naming an enemy.] See.....right now anyone from U.s. is :scratchhead: because this whole idea is too far-fetched for any of us to believe. But...butbutbutbut.....it's never happened here! Not on U.s. soil! Well except for a couple of times long....long...ago....

So putting on your creativity hat......pretend this is happening NOW! :behindsofa:

The good news is, as you will notice in the title, we have a little warning. [not "Without Warning"]

You and yours have decided it's dangerous [ya THINK?] and futile to stay. You are doing what we have always said is THE VERY LAST RESORT of a prepared person. You're being forced to become a REFUGEE .....or try to live behind enemy lines.

{OR....you can always decide not to play this UNreality scenario. If you decide not to, please don't make comments because you'll be outside this scenario. This is for those who DECIDE TO PLAY. Thank you.}

OKay.... we're going to go thru each category to find out which ITEMS you'll choose to be your TOP TEN. If you must completely restart from the ground up, which of your supplies and equipment would you choose as your most valuable in this sort of scenario.

Just for a preview.....a complete restart of your lives would include: Shelter. Food. Water. Clothing. Tools. Medical/Sanitation......and so on. But for sanity's sake, we'll take the categories one by one. Break them down. That's why, under the rules of simplification, you choose only ten items. [if you make these lists for yourself and want to add #11 or #12 ....] :shrug:

For our first category: KITCHEN TOOLS

Food is not included. Appliances are not included. Just pots/pans/utensils/etc.

Allowed as one item: "a fork and spoon [OR cup, OR plate] for each family member"

Not allowed as one item: "contents of my third kitchen drawer" :grinning-smiley-044:

Allowed as one item: "a mess kit"

Not allowed as one item: "8 nesting pots with lids" [don't laugh....I actually HAVE THIS and all in a cotton bag] :grinning-smiley-044:

The point is not to cleverly sneak in more stuff. The point is to discern which ten items you would REALLY REALLY rather not do without if you found yourself starting from scratch out in a wilderness meadow somewhere. This is not a scenario with a FEMA CAMP option. :grinning-smiley-044:

Also....for this exercise, we are not even going to be thinking of HOW to move any/all of the things on the list. N/A for this scenario. :shrug:

=====================================

I'm going to try this off the top of my head......but reserve the right to change my mind......ESPECIALLY if one of you brings in a better idea!!! :happy0203:

MtRider and MrMtRider.....KITCHEN TOOLS:

1. Large camping water kettle with spout and wire bail handle

2. camping coffee pot .....[cuz MrMtR will not be coherent nor sane without this] :rolleyes:

3. 12" cast iron fry pan/lid

4. largest stock pot/lid

5. SS {stainless steel} long-handled spatula

6. enamelware pie plate (2)

7. water bottle in insulated covers with carry straps (2)

8. fork, serving spoon (2)

9. Stanley thermos bottle [sS inside, not glass] ....make cooked cereal grains overnight

10...... I'm thinking can opener :scratchhead:

Discarded ideas:

Pot holders...can use shirttails, gloves, bandana, etc

Most-used knife .....gonna multi-purpose a general knife from another category

SS bowl ....have to use the other pots/pans

Long fork.....can use whittled stick

long stirring spoon .... can use spatula

tongs .....can whittle two long sticks and use like chop sticks

MtRider ..... :cook: ......CLARIFICATION: These are things you really do have right now, btw. [might not have been clear.... ] :unsure:

Edited by Mt_Rider
scrambled sentence

If transport is not a problem, cool:

big fresnel lens and its reflector for firestarting and wood-free cooking

five gallon bucket with honey-filter insert and poly sack to preclean and hold water.

mess kit apiece, primarily for the lightweight saucepan for solar cooking and coffee (mine has a plate/bowl side, a frying pan side, and a tiny pot with lid)

cast iron chicken-frying pot with lid, which combines pot and skillet

spork per person

tongs

spatula

a canvas water buffalo

a nice big cooler to hold food overnight

a mesh walled mosquito gazebo tent thing to keep flies away and to catch rainwater

1. Water distiller (I'm still trying to wake up, so can't think of correct name)

2. Water purifier

3. Manual grain mill

4. Large ss mixing bowl

5. Ceramic knife

6. Wooden spoon

7. Mess kit

8. Cast iron skillet

9. Cutting board

10. Stock pot

I reserve the right to edit my list after seeing other ideas

Yeah....I'm making up the category areas as I go along. Here's the next two categories [and it will change some of your lists - sorry MomM]. The thing is...trying to discern the very MOST IMPORTANT of our stuff is overwhelming. I'm hoping that taking it by categories and limiting to 10 will be instructive. But this is a work-in-progress so bear with me, 'K'? Mebbe looking at the next two kitchen-related categories might help.

If you can think of another way to divide the categories and still distill out our most useful post-hooey-scenario STUFF....propose it! I'm not trying to be super-minimalist in this.

2nd category: KITCHEN "APPLIANCES" ......Not thinking fridge, stove, and kitchen sink... but smaller. What you plan to use in place of the kitchen sink, stove, fridge. And cuz MomM reminded me....I'm putting my grain grinder in this category. ] :thumbs:

1. Family grain grinder .....and it's spare parts.

2. Water bath canner/lid/rack

3. Sherman...the All American pressure canner

4. Inverter (?) device to power A/C small devices from a vehicle. [plugs into cig lighter]

5. I'm going to say bread maker ......because if during any post-hooey I can get access to electric for a short time, I can make bread without tending to it. In a situation that's unceasingly weary, that would help. Also just makes dough.

Pssst.....I would also bring an ice maker but I've never purchased one yet. For keeping ice for ice chest.

6. Ice chest.....largest is our white one, I think.

7. Ice chest ....throwing in the blue one too.

8. Seriously....I've always known I'd want to bring the "kitchen sink" but in this case, it's the laundry tub.

=====================------------------=============================-----------------------------

3rd category: WATER WORKS [anything about collecting, purifying, storing, finding water for washing, cooking, drinking, sanitizing]

1. Katadyn Pocket filter [which I've put away somewhere and can't currently FIND aiiiieeee!]

2. 5 gal. solar shower bag/nozzle

3. 5 gal bucket - store water

4. coffee filters [pre-filter water]

5. 5 gal bucket for washing

Edited by Mt_Rider
oops....still working on these lists...

4th category: LIGHTING, HEATING, COOKING

If this is too many things for just 10 items, we can break them into different categories.....

1. Dietz oil lantern [outdoor type with wire bail handle and shield over the top of globe]

2. Lamp oil

3. LED spot light/recharge cord for a/c and for vehicle charging

4. Campfire grill with folding legs/storage bag

5. Coleman 2 burner stove [maybe]

6. Coleman fuel [maybe] [and I wish is was a dual fuel stove]

7. Headlamps (2) ....one for each person

8. Solar battery recharger unit [dang, nearly forgot I had this!]

9. Buddy Heater [maybe]

10. 3? 5? gal propane bottle/hose [maybe]

Coming up next "Shelter" with further explanation....

MtRider :scratchhead:

Can I tweak this a bit? I have a trailer for camping gear that is always packed. It could be hooked up almost as fast as everyone could get loaded up. So I'd like my lists to be things to pull from the house to go along with what I have out there. Because that's what I need to think through. So like I don't need dishes or pots from the house because those are in camping gear.. but I'd need to grab my cast iron skillets among other things. Or is that too far outside the parameters? If so then I won't post more on it.

Yes....actually I also have things that live in the back of our trucks too. You have the correct idea, Suncat. You're already at the point of having some basics PRE-STAGED. :cheer: So this can certainly be an exercise to list some of the things that we are using daily that we REALLY don't want to be left behind during the chaos.

You can play this in any way that is most helpful for you. It's just an exercise for listing the very most important things so they are not left behind. OR... {ask me how I know} so you don't forget you have an option when it come time you need it....cuz it's tucked away somewhere.

If there are some new prepping folks out there.....this can be an initial exercise in how to think creatively. Choose things that can substitute for stove, fridge, kitchen sink, etc. if for any reason, those are not available.

MtRider ......{I'm only trying to eliminate the distraction of comments that begin with "oh this would never happen to me....." } <_<

DH and I began talking about this yesterday. He's already pointed out a couple things I absolutely forgot to list. Aiieee! I will be revising .... That is why I'm throwing up more categories. So some TOP 10 items can be shifted into other categories. WATER is such a vital need that it deserves a category all to itself. :bev::bathbaby: Categories are not written in stone. I'm really struggling to make simple categories that will be easy to remember.

Goal #1: Know which prep/survive items will TRULY be the most important!

Goal #2 List them and where they are so you don't forget under the HUGE stress of any crisis situation!

I'm going to put up sheets of paper on our fridge for a while. Then....as DH and I think of something [like the solar battery charger I FORGOT I HAVE] it can go up on the lists. A pencil with ERASER will be nearby. :lol: Once the lists look like we've remembered all that we TRULY wish to bring, I can collect them into ....somewhere....and keep it handy.

MtRider .....why am I obsessed with LISTS? 'Nother topic.... :lol:

MtRider and MrMtRider.....KITCHEN TOOLS:

1. Large camping water kettle with spout and wire bail handle

2. camping coffee pot .....[cuz MrMtR will not be coherent nor sane without this] :rolleyes:

3. 12" cast iron fry pan/lid

4. largest stock pot/lid

5. SS {stainless steel} long-handled spatula

6. enamelware pie plate (2)

7. water bottle in insulated covers with carry straps (2) ...moving this to WATER category

7. Dutch oven!!!!!

8. fork, serving spoon (2)

9. Stanley thermos bottle w/ 2 cups [sS inside, not glass] ....make cooked cereal grains overnight

10...... I'm thinking can opener :scratchhead:

Discarded ideas:

Pot holders...can use shirttails, gloves, bandana, etc

Most-used knife .....gonna multi-purpose a general knife from another category

SS bowl ....have to use the other pots/pans

Long fork.....can use whittled stick

long stirring spoon .... can use spatula

tongs .....can whittle two long sticks and use like chop sticks

DH wants to include his kit for butcher/skin game ..... :scratchhead:

Also wants the kitchen shears

Changes in RED

MtRider ......makes for interesting discussion. Obviously Top Ten is only a number to find priority....but it's variable in our own realities.

3rd category: WATER WORKS [anything about collecting, purifying, storing, finding water for washing, cooking, drinking, sanitizing]

1. Katadyn Pocket filter [which I've put away somewhere and can't currently FIND aiiiieeee!]

2. 5 gal. solar shower bag/nozzle

3. 5 gal bucket - store water

4. coffee filters [pre-filter water]

5. 5 gal bucket for washing

6. personal water bottles with built-in filter (2)

7. personal Qt canteens ....old fashioned ones with blanket sides to wet and keep water cold inside/carry straps

8. 5 gal Reliance jug with spigot

9. dedicated plunger for LAUNDRY

Making a separate category for "Supplies" .....defined as anything that runs out. Opposite of "Equipment"

MtRider :scratchhead:

Edited by Mt_Rider
Kitchen Tools

1-3 - cast iron, 2 12 in. skillets, 1 8in skillets

4- chef's knife

5 - best carving knife

6 - can opener

7 - colander

8 - measuring spoons

9 - gravy shaker

10 - lg stainless steel pot

And this tells me that I really need a better can opener in the camping gear.

big fresnel lens with its reflector for firestarting and wood-free cooking

five gallon bucket with honey-filter insert and poly sack to preclean and hold water. move to water and replace with pressure canner

mess kit apiece, primarily for the lightweight saucepan for solar cooking and coffee (mine has a plate/bowl side, a frying pan side, and a tiny pot with lid)

cast iron chicken-frying pot with lid, which combines pot and skillet

steel trash can for making charcoal move to another category and replace with tripod/chain/hook implement

spork per person

tongs

spatula

a canvas water buffalo moved to water. Replaced with my stainless colander. Colander is good for carrying berries or nuts, works for steaming food, lined with a cloth for filtering or sifting, and would be essential for the draining that comes with the cook-in-three-changes-of-water

a nice big cooler

a mesh walled mosquito gazebo tent thing to keep flies away and to catch rainwatermoved to somewhere else, replaced with an expanded-metal grill with legs, which would be either a prep surface or a cooking surface

Thanks for anticipating my question about the colander, Amber. Both you and Suncat put that in.

Cecelia....do you want to chose 9 more items? My cast iron dutch oven was one of the things my DH pointed out and I quickly put that in my Top Ten!!

LOL....I'm cooking in my big SS stock pot tonite. First to cook pasta [yes, colander made me wonder...] and then to simmer the splattery tomato sauce. I'm stirring tonite with my SS spatula. Works just fine as I theorized in my Kitchen Tools list. BUT......DH is suggesting that a ladle large enough for whatever stock pot would be needed. :scratchhead:

If I replace whatever .......something in Kitchen Tools with (2) large size sierra cups, they might be used for a ladle? Being careful of burning one's fingers.....remembering WE2's finger!! Thinking......

MtRider :pc_coffee:

I would have all utensils for cooking and eating be metal for durability and sanitation. Plastic is practically impossible to sanitize. Pot holders for sure and some good long sleeved leather gloves to protect your arms and hands while using cast iron.

Remember ...to keep this simple, we are only listing EQUIPMENT [use over and over] and not SUPPLIES [gets used up like food, T.P., soap, toothpaste, etc]

You can do these categories in no particular order......

Fifth Category: SHELTER

Defined as 1) things to keep one's body at 98.6. Warm enough/cool enough/dry enough. 2) Alternate definition would be shelter from some danger ....lions,tigers, bears? (......Defensive Devices will be another category tho - probably not listed here in public.)

---Altho clothing/footwear can qualify under that definition.....it will be a separate category.

---Also....our current homes, BO cabins, cars and camping trailers are certainly shelter, lets not use those in the Top Ten. They would be assumed if you have them.

1. & 2. 10X20 tarps (2)

3. Tubular framework for under the tarps

4. Rope....I'd like all kinds but if I had to grab ....I'd grab a big messy bag of baler twine. It CAN [bTDT] be braided together to make stronger, thicker, longer cordage.

5. Small spool of paracord

6. roll of visqueen [strong, clear plastic sheeting]

7. Large canvas tent

8. (2) winter sleeping bags

9. (2) air mattresses [insulate from cold/wet ground]

MtRider ....I think I'm forgetting things in this category. [HEATING was in the Fourth Category]

Edited by Mt_Rider

Man oh man how did I miss this...ok let me think

10 Kitchen tools

1. Cast iron cook ware

2. knife block

3. the utensil holder and contents next to the stove- wooden spoon, spatula, wisk,

4. camping coffee pot

5. metal mixing bowl set

6. measuring cups

7 measuring spoons

8. can opener

9. pans for the camp stove

10 camp stove

Edit....

I just saw Suncat's post about the camper. Well we don't have a camper but I have 6 camping totes that has everything and anything you possibly could need to while camping. They have everything that my kitchen has tool wise EXCEPT my cast iron cook ware. So I would grab it and my totes. These totes were modified over the years as we camped with three boys. We probably would not have a problem surviving on just the tools in them. Heck they are probably in better shape than what is in my kitchen now.

Edited by mommato3boys

applicanes?

hummmm......

1. well of course the canner

2. the water bath canner

3. the grain grinder

4. non electric hand mixer

Man this one is tough, I am trying to remember what is in the camping totes so that I don't duplicate

For the kitchen I'd choose:

1. spoon

2. spatula

3. sharp knife

4. skillet

5. small bucket (hauling water - can't manage a large one)

6. stainless steel bowl

7. soup plate (love those things)

8. enamel mug

9. pressure canner (can be used as a water bath canner too)

10. dehydrator (electric???)

Pressure canners can be used as a water bath canner if you just use the lid setting on askew.

I chose my dehydrator so I could dry fruit/veggies/herbs I might find. If we can't have electric things then I don't know. Maybe a case of canning jars. Does that count as one thing if the box isn't opened? :happy0203:

I chose my dehydrator so I could dry fruit/veggies/herbs I might find. If we can't have electric things then I don't know. Maybe a case of canning jars. Does that count as one thing if the box isn't opened? :happy0203:

Wellllllllllll...... :scratchhead: .......as long as someone doesn't say "The Walmart Store" ......I think it would be okay.

:laughkick:

I'm really seeing this as one of the better LIST THINGS I've done, personally. Because our tiny cabin is such a jumble, I'd really be kicking myself if I forgot something [bO or SIP] cuz it's tucked away somewhere. Outta sight; Outta mind, y'know. :rolleyes:

Good point on the pressure canner = waterbath canner [but not the reverse] But...the waterbath canner could be used as a stock pot, dishwashing pot, laundry pot, .... If I had a SS waterbath canner, hands down I'd leave out the stock pot on my list and just use that. But I'm so awfully wary of chips in that enamelware cook pots.

And Jeepers? Should you bring a 5 gal bucket anyway? If you had to do laundry, or carry lighter things, you'd have the bigger size. But if you used it to carry water or bricks...you just couldn't fill it up. :shrug:

MtRider .....Love my multi-use 5 gal buckets almost as much as I love my LISTS! :rolleyes:

Edited by Mt_Rider

One thing to remember about this particular With Little Warning........ These lists are for your own situations. As Suncat, and now Mommato3 have mentioned, they're counting on the pre-staged things and their lists will reflect only things that still reside in their homes.

Soooo, for instance if you have one or more of these categories that really needs 11 ....or 15 items to complete things for you, please write down these lists for yourself and put on the extra needed items. That's what I plan to do ......EVENTUALLY. Perhaps make a secondary list = IF there is room...IF there is TIME in any real-life situation.

But my first goal is to pare down the most important by keeping with the Top Ten first. Exercise in choices and self-discipline. {cuz I always wanna bring even the kitchen sink!} :whistling:

MtRider ....this scenario is flexible! Just don't warp it all outta shape by bringing the Walmart Store.... :grinning-smiley-044:

Edited by Mt_Rider

So to recap the categories [since the thread is getting long] :

1...Kitchen Tools

2....Kitchen "Appliances" [not the fridge/stove but other things]

3....Water Works [for collecting, purifying, storing water for washing/cooking/etc ]

4....Lighting & Heating & Cooking [might have to split these categories on your personal lists...I want to add more lighting options!] :shrug:

5....Shelter [keeping warm/cool/dry/safe ....not including clothes/footwear, or assumed shelter of house, BO cabin, campers, trailers]

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Edited by Annarchy

I could change out my small bucket for a 5 gallon one. I really like my 2 gal. ones though. I suppose I wouldn't have to fill the 5 gal. one full. Actually most of my buckets are 4 gal. because they are the square ones. So...okay, I'll bring the 4 gal. one. :happy0203:

The metal canner pot can double for a lot of things.

P.S.

May we bring electric things?

Edited by Jeepers