MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A Word (picture) Problem

3 cups of soda = 30 .......so each Soda = 10

soda (10) + burger + burger = 20 ........so subtract what you know ( 20 minus the 10 of the soda) leaves 10 left. So each burger is half of 10 then,

....Burger = 5

Burger (5) + two fries = 9 .....so subtract the burger (9 minus the 5 of the burger) leaves 4......so each fry is half of 4 ...... Fries = 2

Burger (5) + Fry (2) + Soda (10) = ......... 17

MtRider .....who is verrrrry bad with numbers but unless I'm not understanding the point, this is pure logic.....isn't it? :shrug:

Aaaaaaaauuuuuuggh! I kept wondering how Wormie got SEVENTY? Then caught my error.....

Burger (5) + Fry (2) ......TIMES Soda (10) ........ equals 70

Details.....why I am not a mathematician. :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: Got the logic but ......

MtRider ...I'm tired now....

3 cups of soda = 30 .......so each Soda = 10

soda (10) + burger + burger = 20 ........so subtract what you know ( 20 minus the 10 of the soda) leaves 10 left. So each burger is half of 10 then,

....Burger = 5

Burger (5) + two fries = 9 .....so subtract the burger (9 minus the 5 of the burger) leaves 4......so each fry is half of 4 ...... Fries = 2

Burger (5) + Fry (2) + Soda (10) = ......... 17

MtRider .....who is verrrrry bad with numbers but unless I'm not understanding the point, this is pure logic.....isn't it? :shrug:

Good reasoning, and..................mostly correct. ;)

In the third line the fries do indeed work out to being $2. HOWEVER, that is the value for 2 servings of fries! In the final line there is only a single serving................so $1.

Next, the recognition of the multiplication sign in the final line changes the equation from the previous lines having been all addition...so good catch there.

Let's look at the final line numerically: $5 + $1 x $10 = ?

Lets use the mathematical law of PEMDAS to solve this:

• There are no parantheses.
  • There are no exponents.
  • Multiplication is next in line. So one single fries ($1) times one soda ($10) equals $10.
  • No division to worry about.
  • Addition is next. So the equation now becomes one hamburger ($5) plus the previous calculation ($10).
  • No subtraction in this puzzle.

Rewritten..............$5 + ($1 x $10) or $5 + $10 = $?

Answer.......................$15

Merry Christmas! Now you can enjoy your day without worrying about this any more.

I was with you as far as the theory about the fries.....which I disagree with.

If the burger is 5 ....that leaves FOUR for TWO FRIES.........which is 2 for EACH FRY. 5 + 2 + 2 = 9

I have not seen anything that makes that false.

And :scratchhead: you completely lost me on the rest of what you said.

MtRider ....not a mathematician.... :grinning-smiley-044:

I get:

burger (5) + fry (1 order) = 6 x drink (10) = 60

Edited to add: pay no attention to my previous post. Perhaps I didn't have the correct answer after all. Could the internet have lied to me? Surly not. It's the internet!

But I really do know how to make change. Honest.

Edited by Jeepers

LOL I am sooo math challenged.

But in the third picture it shows the fries as a double (large) order. A 2-pack if you will. In the last line it is a picture of one order of fries like a size small.

In other words in line three the total order is for 4 single orders of fries a burger and a drink. Line just has 1 small order of fries.

When I needed a math answer here I used to ask CGA (RIP). She was a whizz at it. No explaining...just gave me the answer.

Ahhhhh....THAT I understood, Jeepers! So as well as initially missing the TIMES sign....also missed the second set of fries in that line. Hmph!

Logic fine. Observation feeble. Math....we don't wanna talk about it. :grinning-smiley-044:

MtRider :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

It just struck me that the final line of the problem is not based in reality!!! :runcirclsmiley2:

If I were actually at the store they would be overcharging me if they collected more than $16.00!!! :tapfoot:

1 burger plus 1 single order of fries plus 1 drink

$5 + $1 + $10 = $16

Let me also say..........................I would NEVER PAY $10 for a CUP of soda!!! :bev::shakinghead:

Let me also say..........................I would NEVER PAY $10 for a CUP of soda!!! :bev::shakinghead:

I would like to point out that I *have* paid over $10 for a cup of soda (double that, actually), BUT only because they'd let me refill it for free all year.