MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

General Gardening in 2017

:welcome4: Waiting on seeds in the mail now..... still digging through boxes that are like going down the rabbit hole in Alice and Wonderland books and haven't located any of my heirloom seeds. grrrrr, so I ordered some..... sigh.

Should have plenty .....

Also ordered some type of teperary bean grown by southwestern natives so should be good for chili beans or maybe refrieds? They have a little blue on them not just tans and darker browns.

I also ordered a red Italian grown fava bean, because I heard red fava's were healthier ?

Can anyone tell me about fava bean nutrition?

I ordered a nice bluish green looking melon with orange flesh inside and winter squashes and spaghetti squashes all in heirloom seeds.

I also ordered a stringless bush type green bean, and thought they would be nice eating. ( that order was part of amazon order though.)

I also ordered 25 everbearing strawberry plants.

Charentais Melon :happy0203:

Edited by sassenach

Sounds like a good order Sass. The only thing I know about Fava beans is that they can be deadly for some people who are descended from Mediterranean, Southeast Asian, or African stock.

And there is that Hannibal Lecter line... :D

Sounds like a good order Sass. The only thing I know about Fava beans is that they can be deadly for some people who are descended from Mediterranean, Southeast Asian, or African stock.

Are you saying they don't go well with a nice glass of chianti?

I never heard that Jeepers but I don't have any of that ancestry in me.

Yea, bring on the chianti. lol.

Been taking notes on my garden seed orders and sort of grouping them to think of the garden beds I can do with them.

Are you saying they don't go well with a nice glass of chianti?

Hee-Hee. And some liver. :P

Son made his first row with the tiller last week. Then it snowed. Life of a gardener.

He needs some guidance though. If left to his own devices he'd have the entire backyard tilled up for a dozen tomato plants. Bless his heart...it's his first. :D

Son made his first row with the tiller last week. Then it snowed. Life of a gardener.

He needs some guidance though. If left to his own devices he'd have the entire backyard tilled up for a dozen tomato plants. Bless his heart...it's his first. :D

My mother insists that the reason Dad refuses to try raised beds is because then he wouldn't get to play with the tiller.

• 2 weeks later...

Battling heat already. I am hoping I can get some harvest before it gets too hot. Having to water daily. Ugh.

The tomato plants I started in pots grew well. When I put them outside to acclimate, the wind knocked one over, breaking it near the soil. Out of desperation, I stuck the stem in water and , to my surprise, watched the two branches sprout roots. They are now planted in the garden and beginning to grow new leaves.

An apple core, from Christmas pies, sprouted! The 3 little trees are 2 inches tall and seem to be growing well, so far. Time will tell if apple trees can handle 120* heat. I can hope.

The area I spread wheat seeds in November, sprouted in January. I hope to get the area tilled when I get back home, and plant more carrots and beets. Maybe more tomato plants.

The tomatillos came up and were flourishing, until Gunny decided they were tasty. Humph. He left a dozen plants which I have to thin-transplant several. Crazy dog.

The radishes are up. I hope to plant more later.

Only a couple thyme seeds sprouted but none of the oregano has yet.

Before I left the spinach and parsnip seeds were just beginning to sprout and only one zucchini had sprouted.

The piquine and jalapeño chili plants made it through the winter and are growing well. However, the jalapeños are only the size of marbles before they turn red. Tasty but small and no heat.