MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Annarchy

Windows 10 Tips

"I was talking with Tech support and he mentioned Windows 10 likes to update in the background.  However, there is a setting that should be turned off, unless it doesn't effect your speed or needs.

Click on the "Start Thing", type in the search box "settings".  > Choose "Update & Security" > Click on "Advanced Options" > Select "Choose how updates are delivered".    You will be at the screen shown below.

Win Update.PNG

Thanks.  Had DH do this.  With our limited usage, I don't need extra downloads from anywhere.

MtRider  :behindsofa:

Glad to help. 

As I learn more about Windows 10, I share. 

sFun_comp.gif

8 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Thanks.  Had DH do this.  With our limited usage, I don't need extra downloads from anywhere.

MtRider  :behindsofa:

Are you connected wirelessly?  If so, go over to your toolbar and click the wifi icon.  Go to the network you're connected to and click Properties.  Scroll down and set it as a metered connection, and it won't do updates on that network.  Or at least maybe not ALL the updates. 

• Like 1

:shrug:  I have no clue as to what you said, TheCG.  I'm just not that far into the tech stuff.

MtRider  :wacko:

7 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

:shrug:  I have no clue as to what you said, TheCG.  I'm just not that far into the tech stuff.

MtRider  :wacko:

Step 1: Are you connecting wirelessly to something or plugging your computer into something to get internet?

router and modem to the dish

When not in immediate use, we unplug both modem and router or our usage goes UP ...like during the night.

MtRider

31 minutes ago, Mt_Rider said:

router and modem to the dish

When not in immediate use, we unplug both modem and router or our usage goes UP ...like during the night.

MtRider

Wired?

:pc_coffee:

uh...no.  No wires to our laptops...

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Do you know how to connect to a wireless network?

In the bottom right corner of the screen, you have the little signal icon that kind of looks like a quarter of a target.

2 hours ago, TheCG said:

In the bottom right corner of the screen, you have the little signal icon that kind of looks like a quarter of a target.

Wireless Signal.PNG

• Like 1

Another Tip:

To get the image I just posted ^

Win 10 has a "Snipping Tool". (Type, Snipping Tool, in the search box and it will come up.)  When I found it, I put it on my task bar.  It allows me to take a specific screen shot.  You can also highlight the snip, if necessary.  I save my 'snips' on my desk top for easy access to the 'drag & drop' feature we now have here at MrsS, and delete them when I'm done. 

:happy0203:

Windows 7 has that snipping tool too. I keep mine on my task bar too.

10 hours ago, TheCG said:

:scratchhead:  

This is why I can't comprehend these type of questions.  I use that every. single. solitary.  time I connect to my wireless network.  Doesn't everyone?  How else would I be on here typing?

MtRider  :shrug:

Edited by Mt_Rider

2 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

This is why I can't comprehend these type of questions.  I use that every. single. solitary.  time I connect to my wireless network.  Doesn't everyone?  How else would I be on here typing?

It's OK, Lady.  If it wasn't for instructions.  Sometimes, I have to re-read them many times.  This time, I only had to do it 2 times, just to get the first computer connected. Then, it was, mental memory and re-reading the instructions, to do the rest of the devices.  :sigh:

whoopie.gif

13 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

You'd be amazed. Some people have their kids set it up once, then never have any clue how to make it work.  If you work tech support long enough, you start explaining the difference between clicking and right-clicking and ask if the computer is turned on. :-P

• Like 1

Step 1: click that icon.

2: click the name of your wifi network

3: click properties

4: scroll down to "Metered connection"

5: click the metered connection toggle so it turns green

That tells window that data is limited on that network and to quit trying to suck it dry.

• Like 2

I got as far as how updates are delivered, but mine says "on" and "PCs on my local network."  My local network consists of the laptops and tablets that have my router's password, right?

Right.  If you are not worrying about bandwidth or speed, you probably wouldn't want to change it. 

Our concern is the speed.  When my PC updates, it automatically triggers DH's computer to do the same update at the same time, and vice versa. Both computers downloading slows our router/modem down substantially.