MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ideas?

We live in KS, and feel like while not ?% prepped, we could make do for quite some time. The thing is, hubby travels for a living, and we are with him in OR at this time (heading home right before Thanksgiving). So we are here with very minimal preps....heading into Nov. 4th, a weekend that the government is planning an EMP drill and Antifa is planning the start of a 2nd civil war. I'd like to think that nothing is going to happen...but if it does, I'd rather be able to help hubby protect our family, feed them, keep them warm and get them home.

Any thoughts? Where would you start if you were away from home? We traveled in a big van so have some space. I know the basics....water, food, warmth, protection. How do we flesh that out? Looking forward to your replies, thank you! :)

Edited by Joyfilled
Grammar

DH often flies out of state/country for work.  And, since he refuses to pay luggage fees, often only takes a carry-on.  He is also cheap umm, I mean frugal so he always takes an empty water bottle to fill once he gets past security.  He has a lifestraw bottle, and no, I didn't tell him how much it cost!  I also have a couple of water purification tablets clearly labeled in a small plastic bag that he keeps with basic medications,  along with individually wrapped sanitary wipes, and a mask.  In his quart size bag for liquids, he also has a small bottle of hand sanitizer.  

One small pouch of his backpack is reserved for the "snacks" I pack for him, you know, to save money on airport food.  LOL - nuts, dried fruit, dried cereal, granola bars, pretzel sticks, cookies and/or small chocolate bars, and jerky.  I also throw in peanut butter pouches but those go into his quart size bag for security. 

He dresses in lots of layers so he can get his bag classified as carryon, and then once through, he takes off a few layers and crams them in the bag!  I told you he was frugal!  Other than that, he has his basic notebook computer & electronics.  That's about it other than emergency cash and an international debit card.  Obviously, no self-defense tools are allowed on an airplane.  

For your situation, your goal I'm guessing is to keep your children safe and comfortable.  Why not pack a small backpack for each of them?  This way if you have to walk, they can carry whatever weight they are able to in their bags.  I would include at least one emergency blanket, flashlight, and personal hygiene products (individual wipes, travel toothbrush, comb, etc) as well as giving each their very own age appropriate first aid kit - cutesy band-aids are a must! And then special snacks, extra socks, sweat suit, special little toys/activities, light stick, hand warmers, etc.  Maybe even a compass to keep them engaged if you do end up walking a ways.  Think as light as possible.   

But if you've got the basics covered, I would think you'll be fine.  I always carry a couple of cans of fix-a-flat in our cars, especially when travelling as well as a bottle of engine oil and water for the radiator. I would also, if there's room, bring a backpacking pack complete with tent, tarp, & fire starters.  Freeze dried food, nuts, jerky, chocolate, cheerios, etc to keep you all going.  Depending on the age of your brood, a backpack child carrier and/or small push stroller?  At the very least, you could load the backpack up with additional supplies.  I would also recommend having cash in small denominations spread throughout your families bags. Weapons/self-defence I will leave up to your discretion and comfort level.  But, I would recommend having a knife or small foldable saw as well as scissors and I would make your first aid kit significantly more substantial than the ones for your children.  

In other words, throw some camping/backpacking supplies in!  I'm sure you already have if only to cook a picnic dinner at a local park!

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this.  I have a feeling you've thought everything through several times over!  And, once you get home, it might be fun to go hiking with the kids and their packs and practice using some of the supplies.  :)  

Enjoy your travels.  Not sure what part of Oregon you are in but it's a beautiful state!  Oh, yeah, you might want to add dollar store ponchos to their bags!  LOL 

• Like 1

Thanks, Andrea! Honestly had not thought of the tent....we always stay in hotels (put it on the employer's bill!), so didn't cross my mind. Walking home with a 16, 6, 4 and 3 year olds is not ideal. Hope we never have to! I used to have a stroller in the van, not so much for the little ones (too big now), but to carry heavy supplies. Back saver at the zoo with all our water bottles!

Thanks for the ideas. Will read it to the hubby tonight and see what we can do. :)

41 minutes ago, Joyfilled said:

had not thought of the tent....

I travel to TX every month.  I have a small tent in the trunk, plus, a bug out bag and several other little 'comfort' things, the BOB has enough to sustain me for a week and personal protection above what I normally take.  JIC, that I don't make it and have to get back home or to my destination in TX,  depending on how close I am to either place.

I'm thinking even about what shoes we have with us. Not sure the girls' tennis shoes would make it, or the boy's. I can't imagine having to walk home, ever, with the 3 young ones, but it could happen.... would rather be prepared. 

Are you able to carry your tent, Annarchy, if need be? How many people does it hold? We're also heading into cold months....that wouldn't help!

I would probably focus on having enough resources to get to the nearest Emergency Shelter.  I can't imagine walking 1,500+ miles in the snow without serious winter gear.  But then, I'm a California girl.  I don't do snow!  ;)

Hi Joyful. 

With kids that young, you gotta get wheels.  And with so many of you...that's a lot of water [good filter to produce more], food, clothing...everything.  

If bikes are your wheels, you'd need bikes for adults/teen and the pull behind trailer for the youngest two.  6 yr old in a second seat on an adult bike?  Might be easier to get a vehicle that's EMP proof....even if that means keeping spare parts with you in metal boxes.  But you could be targeted for a running vehicle.  Worst comes to worst, you can be targeted for the bikes too.

Other WHEEL ideas would be the best grocery carts you can "find".....post- EMP.   Maybe a 4-wheel dolly.  Things of that type.  In winter.....post EMP you might need sleds pulled by X-country skiers.   No one will be maintaining the roads in a really bad situation. 

If you'd go from OR to MO.....don't stock up on the disposable gear.  That trip would take you a month or more.  Disposable gear will last a child about 46 seconds and an adult about 4-8 hrs.  I carry that stuff if we go fishing, horseback riding, or I might have trouble getting back up my own driveway.  For a long trip, get decent and size appropriate rain gear, and winter gear.  As light and durable as you can afford.  And, as you know, buy big cuz they'll outgrow it. 

Hard choices.....  Getting caught away from home is one nightmare I'd not want to experience.  Any travel past the first couple/few days could get very dicey.  :(

MtRider  :shrug:

Thanks, Mt Rider! The thing is....we are not home. We have bikes...at home. Our preps (funny...spell check changed preps to Oreos!! Lol!)....at home. We have some things here, but we have never planned to bug out, always to stay (why we live in the country). But now....we are only here for two more weeks, maybe 3. So hopefully, nothing will make us want to leave in that amount of time. Buying bikes or an emp proof vehicle would be cost prohibited, but borrowing a cart (or two) from Walmart would be doable. 

Hubby won't take us to a shelter. He's read the stories....:/ So off to home we'd go, even if it too months. I'd lose weight....ha! Gotta see it on the bright side, right?

I was thinking that instead of heading straight home we would head south to CA then over. At least then the weather would be better. But CA is on fire....

You're right. This is a nightmare I hope we don't have to endure. Honestly, as you can imagine, our concern is for our littles. 6, 4 and 3 is very young for that many miles. And the 16 year old is a beauty....she would attract pervs. May God be with us if we ever do have to make such a trek. 

16 hours ago, Joyfilled said:

Are you able to carry your tent, Annarchy, if need be? How many people does it hold?

We have an old Eureka 1person tent, weighting less than 3 lbs., which is big enough for our two Coleman sleeping bags, zipped together, filling the floor space.  So technically, for us, it is a 2 person tent.  And, if we had to, we could curl up and let the dogs in at our feet.  During my regular trips, I have a lightweight sleeping bag.  They both easily attach to the bottom of my backpack/bob.

I agree with Mt_Rider, a wagon/or something like it, would make your trek easier, if you had to.

I agree....maybe each able body (3 of us) can push a cart. The kids could carry a backpack. We would carry a backpack, too. 

I hesitate to say this, but might as well. We left two perfectly well stocked BOB's at home to conserve space. So....lots of things in there that I know we will wish we had if it comes down to it. Ugh. Let's just hope it doesn't come down to it...but, Murphy's law, and all that....

Hubby just texted me and said that we will have to go shopping before this weekend. What would you get??

Depending on how serious this hypothetical situation got.....diguise the beauty!  Turn the females into boys...and maybe you too. 

Shopping?.....go to Thrift Stores.  Buy SCRUFFY STUFF......to wear, for packs, for wheels.....  And some version of water purification and containers.  West is arid, unlike midwest and east.

All our BO stuff is SCRUFFY second-hand stuff.  Sturdy tho...to last but does not look attractive. 

Earthtone colors but not camo that sticks out. 

CA route would be warmer.....but expect many to have the same idea in this season.  With little ones, warmer is probably your only option.  You don't want to go over Wolf Creek Pass - Colorado in winter.    [Think Donner Party]  :buttercup:

MtRider  ....car/etc ideas was for if this 'traveling out of state for jobs' happens frequently  :shrug: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
ack...confusing typo

Other thing I've thot of is a network of friends/family that might live between where one is and where one wishes to be in a Post-Hooey-Hits-Fan situation.

I keep addresses, detailed COUNTY maps [printed-not Internet], phone #'s  [IF such would be working] of contact points in various parts of U.S.  Making sure I could approach their locations from different directions if necessary.  Also I know different approaches to OUR place....and that means one also knows different EXITS if that should become necessary.

I don't travel much but have been to MO, D.C., and GA in the past couple decades.  .....and Maui.  Have people in all those places.  Have other people in between.  The In-Betweens would merely be a safe stopping place....not moving in with them.  Hopefully provide my own food during 'rest stop'. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'd like to see all our best posts consolidated into a 'survival manual'.  

• Like 3