MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Ground Meat

Hi! 

I have canned vegetables and chicken in my pressure canner, and I noticed that there is a recipe in my Ball Book for “chopped meat.”  Could anyone tell me whether that would be the same as ground meat? For example, could I can ground turkey or hamburger using the recipe for chopped meat?  I am always very careful about following the recipes and I don’t want to mess anything up. 

Thank you! 

Yes chopped meat is ground meat like hamburger or ground turkey. In England they call it mince. All the same.

After I fry my hamburger I rinse it, in a colander, under running water to remove most of the fat. Some people like the fat in and skip that step.

Happy canning!   :canning:

2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Yes chopped meat is ground meat like hamburger or ground turkey. In England they call it mince. All the same.

After I fry my hamburger I rinse it, in a colander, under running water to remove most of the fat. Some people like the fat in and skip that step.

Happy canning!   :canning:

Jeepers, I rinse mine because I have fewer sealing fails with less fat in it.  I need to do more.  Used to keep it for when the pups had tummy troubles.

• Like 1