MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Coffee....

http://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/news/2017/12/scientists-have-pinpointed-the-ideal-amount-of-coffee-to-drink-e

Scientists Have Pinpointed the Ideal Amount of Coffee to Drink Each Day
Drinking three to four cups of coffee a day is associated with health benefits.
If you’ve ever wondered what is precisely the ideal amount of coffee to consume each day, researchers have worked to pinpoint the answer: three, maybe four cups. Not two. Not five.
I’ll pause here to let you go fill your mug …
Back? Great. The 2015-2020 DGA states, “Moderate coffee consumption (three to five 8-oz cups/day or providing up to 400 mg/day of caffeine) can be incorporated into healthy eating patterns.”  Over in the U.K., a group of researchers who published their findings in The BMJ crunched the numbers in more than 200 meta-analyses — most of them of observational research — and concluded that the health benefits of drinking coffee outweigh any drawbacks. (Phew.) They also determined that drinking three to four cups a day is most beneficial of all, associated with a lower risk of death, heart disease and stroke.
Compared to people who don’t drink coffee at all, people who drink three cups of coffee a day had a 19 percent lower risk of dying from cardiovascular disease, a 16 percent lower risk of dying from coronary heart disease and a 30 percent lower risk of dying from a stroke, the authors found. Drinking more coffee than that was not found to be detrimental to health, but the benefits were less obvious, according to the researchers.
Coffee drinking in general was also linked to a lower risk of certain kinds of cancer (prostate, endometrial, skin and liver cancer among them), diabetes, gallstones and gout and may have had a beneficial association with Parkinson’s disease, depression and Alzheimer’s disease.
Women who are pregnant, however, should avoid taking in more than 200 milligrams a day. And at least one expert responding to the study has cautioned that, while coffee drinking is generally considered safe, it’s probably not something people need to start doing for health reasons. What’s more, loading your coffee up with sugar and cream is definitely not great for your health.
Don’t say you haven’t been warned.

Being a NON coffee drinker myself.... :yuk:  But doesn't it increase blood pressure?  I know DH has cut way back on his daily amount.

Would be nice to think that a habit nearly everyone has....is good for them!

MtRider  :pc_coffee:     <--------  and that cup is not coffee in my case

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the rise in blood pressure has to do with the caffeine. I really can't tell the difference between caf and decaf.

This topic is so timely for me! I've been going back and forth for a week trying to decide if I want a Keurig or not. I don't drink a lot of coffee but I do like a cup every once in awhile. I really like flavored coffee too. You can also get the K-cups for teas, cocoa and cider etc. And, an empty K-cup for regular make your own coffee.

I have a Wal-mart gift card I got from my bank rewards so I think I'll use it for that. I think I'm going for it.

• Like 1

Someone on a Youtube prep channel said she uses hers just for the hot water sometimes. Like to rehydrate veggies or dried soup. I suppose you could use the hot water for instant oatmeal if you didn't want to microwave it.

I need to do some more research on the different styles.

Oh heck Miki, I'd be all over that too!

I'll probably go to Wal-Mart tomorrow since I have other errands to run. I have one of those 10% off coupons for Bed Bath And Beyond if Wally World is sold out. Plan C is Amazon.

I just saw where Lipton's has a sweet tea K-cup.  Squeeeeee.

Also Celestial Seasons has herbal tea K-cups.

Oh and some dark hot chocolate.

Crimony. More things to hoard stock up on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did a lot of Youtubing to see how to work one.  :sEm_blush:

It makes sense for a single person's occasional hot drinker. I thought it would be more expensive but it ends up less than a dollar a cup for most things. I got one yesterday at Wal-Mart.

My grocery store has tons of K-cups. I never noticed that before. I picked up a box of lemon ginger tea incase I get sick this winter. I wish they made jasmine tea. I need to go to Bed Bath and Beyond this weekend because they carry a lot of K-cups too. I would have gone but I didn't have my coupon with me.

• Like 2

Wow, do  I feel old fashioned.  Don't like Keurig coffee....mine is old fashioned, and black.  Oh well....at least drinking coffee isn't such a big "no-no" anymore, LOL.  The more I hear of researchers contradicting each other, the more I recall the old maxim...."everything in moderation".  Wasn't that the Aristotle/Greek "golden mean" or some such?  Works well for most things.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1

I was out shopping the last two days and I'm so surprised at the lack of crowds. No parking problems and very little waiting in line. I guess online shopping really is taking over.

I have plenty of coffee etc. to last for a long long time. I got some variety packs to test out a bunch. I'll bet I stick with Folger's 1/2 caff, Crispy Cream coffee and Starbuck's vanilla and mocha. Except I can't find their mocha anyplace. I even went inside a Starbucks. Maybe online...like everyone else. I did find Lipton's sweet tea.

Oh and Target has buy one box and get the second one 50% off. Don't know if it will go after Christmas though.

• Like 1

Love my coffee in the mornings, usually a cup when I first get up and then a cup with my breakfast.  Mr won't touch coffee or tea :-(  I use just a cheap old WM coffee maker and enjoy just about any kind of decent coffee.  I set back some instant's for emergencies, but I usually just brew up 9 cups, drink my 2 and then set the pot in the frig for the next day...pour myself a cup and then nuke it.  I have several bags of beans set back, and they are delicious.  I can grind them as fine as I want, and it makes them stronger.  Saves money buying beans (I think).

• Like 1
On 12/23/2017 at 2:32 AM, kappydell said:

Wow, do  I feel old fashioned.  Don't like Keurig coffee....mine is old fashioned, and black.  Oh well....at least drinking coffee isn't such a big "no-no" anymore, LOL.  The more I hear of researchers contradicting each other, the more I recall the old maxim...."everything in moderation".  Wasn't that the Aristotle/Greek "golden mean" or some such?  Works well for most things.

To heck with moderation, there's now research showing that 4-5 cups of coffee per day is associated with a reduced risk of mortality.  Doesn't that mean I should start drinking half the pot every day? :bounce:

I think that is exactly what it means CG!  :008Laughing:

I'm hoping so because I'm really lovin' that Keurig  on these sub zero days.

Up above I said I wish they made Jasmine tea. They do but in a set of other teas I wasn't interested in. BUT, I saw a woman on Youtube make a cup of hot water with her Keurig and (get this) put a TEA BAG in the cup. Well duh Jeepers!  I have the tea bags, the cup, the water and the machine. I think I could probably figure that out too. Lawsy...:misc-smiley-231:

• Haha 2
32 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

I think that is exactly what it means CG!  :008Laughing:

I'm hoping so because I'm really lovin' that Keurig  on these sub zero days.

Up above I said I wish they made Jasmine tea. They do but in a set of other teas I wasn't interested in. BUT, I saw a woman on Youtube make a cup of hot water with her Keurig and (get this) put a TEA BAG in the cup. Well duh Jeepers!  I have the tea bags, the cup, the water and the machine. I think I could probably figure that out too. Lawsy...:misc-smiley-231:

So I don't need to tell you that they make K-cups that make bouillon now?

Oh, and Amazon has everything.  Including K-cups with Jasmine tea. https://www.amazon.com/Cha4TEA-Keurig-K-Cup-Jasmine-Green/dp/B01MTL0PJ7

• Like 1

Whooo-teee-hooo-hooo-hooo!!!!     THANK YOU!    :bow:

I was going to put in an order for some K-cups tomorrow!  I'm definitely getting some of that too. Wonder why I couldn't find it? Also, I went everywhere looking for Starbucks Mocha coffee and couldn't find any anyplace. I even went to 2 Starbucks stores and they didn't have any. Amazon has it though so I'm ordering it tonight now.

Bouillon? Oh yeah. I'll bet that would be better in those Raman Noodles than those little flavor packs that come with them too.

I saw where you can store the K-cups in the freezer so when I decide on which brand I like the best I'll do that.

Confession time!  Don't tell anyone though!  Promise? 

The reason I started drinking and liking Jasmine Tea is because Mick Jagger drinks it and he and Keith Richards wrote a song with "Jasmine Tea" in it. Yes, I'm embarrassed but it's the truth. I do loves the Stones. And drinking Jasmine Tea makes me feel a little closer to them.  :24:   

• Haha 3

You might search some more on Amazon, that Jasmine tea was just the first one that came up.  There might be better options.

I tried an instant coffee this morning.  It'll probably be fine if it's mixed with hot chocolate, but otherwise it sucks.  I need to figure out how to make some low carb powdered hot chocolate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember getting up at 6 am when my dad got off work.  Mom packed a 1/2 sandwich and dad would leave a cup of coffee for me. I was 4 years old. 

I used to drink a couple of pots a day. Several years ago, I had to cut back because when I didn’t have my quota, I would get awful headaches. 

Now, I have 3-4 cups in the morning, and a couple of decaf with DH.  

:pc_coffee:

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Annarchy said:

I used to drink a couple of pots a day. Several years ago, I had to cut back because when I didn’t have my quota, I would get awful headaches. 

Now, I have 3-4 cups in the morning, and a couple of decaf with DH.  

:pc_coffee:

Dad's an engineer.  Constant coffee at the office.  When he went in for heart surgery, he made a pot of coffee and chugged it at 11:55 (couldn't eat after midnight).  If he doesn't have coffee in his system, he's flat on his back in bed by noon.

I strictly limit myself to 1 (large) cup of coffee in the morning...and I try to trade it out with tea and such on occasion.  I should probably try to not have any for a few days, just to kick the habit.  *twitch*

The headaches are withdrawal from caffeine.  When I worked at a mental health hospital, we took a large group on a 3 day camping trip.  Since some could not have caffeine  [ due to meds ], all coffee made over the fire was decaffeinated.  After 24 hrs or so, those that were used to large amounts of caffeinated coffee - staff included- were in for nasty headaches.  Hmmm, that wasn't pleasant.  I think someone  went into town for some regular coffee and just watched carefully who was drinking it.  :imoksmiley:

MtRider  ....so I MIGHT like "  expensive organic hippy stuff " huh?  :lol: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Haha 1

Paul Newman corp. has their own "Newman's Own" brand of organic K-cups. There are also a couple of brands out there who have decaf that is naturally decaffeinated without chemicals. I'm definitely not a coffee snob. I can't tell one brand from the next or caf from decaf. I do have to watch my caffeine intake though. My heart will race and the "girls" will let me know when I've had too much too.  :rolleyes:

When I decided to start drinking coffee years ago I decided to start out drinking it black like a big girl and that's the way I drink it now. I do love flavored coffees though; especially vanilla and mocha.

I think I'll end up going for Dunkin' Donuts regular coffee and their decaf. Other people say it's one of the best? Then add a half-caf brand. I like Starbucks vanilla and their mocha so I'm sure I'll keep those all on hand. I'll probably hit on a few other flavors too. I have tons of the K-cups now because I bought a lot of those sampler variety packs to test. I'm sure I'll settle down to just a few when the new wears off.

Last night I ordered some dark hot chocolate cups. It sounded good. Dark chocolate is heart healthy, right? :D

I love teas too especially sweet tea, vanilla tea and ahem...jasmine tea  :band:.  I have some ginger/lemon and some peppermint set aside incase of sickness.

• Like 1

I got some Starbuck's hot chocolate and some chamomile tea cups from salvage store and they are both very good but not with my city tap water!  I can drink the water cold and I can brew regular coffee with it and it's fine.  Not the k cups!  Have to use bottled water for that.  Did you know they have k cups at the dollar tree?  Don't remember what kinds.