MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pressure Canned Chicken Just Freaked Me Out

Just unloaded a batch of chicken I canned up. I did everything like I normally do, hot pack, precooked and deboned chicken with it's own broth, fat skimmed off before it was heated with the chicken then packed into hot, sterile jars. Ten pounds pressure for 90 minutes (quart jars). I waited for the little valve dealy bob thing to drop which, with my Presto canner is the indication that the pressure is down and it is safe to open it.  The jars are popping multiple times! I have never had them do that, normally I just get the pop that it is sealed and that is it. What in the world caused this? I have been canning for years and this is a first. One jar was acting so crazy with sizzling noises and popping that I laid the lid back on the canner (not sealed just laying over it) and left the jar in there cause I was, quite frankly, afraid to touch it with my canning tongs to remove it.

• Confused 2

Hi RebelDigger!

I did an internet search and found some information on that issue. 

Most of what I read says it could be that the seal may have been compromised, by tiny flecks of broth or chicken seeping under the lip of the jar during the canning process. Some others suggested the rim of the jar may have a blemish/chip, the lid seal may have a blemish in too. One canner even mentioned the their water has too much lime in it, causing a build on the lip of the jars and on the seal of the lids during the cleaning/sterilization process. Most say, if the jar seals, it should be good, however if you are not sure, you can reprocess them or store them in the freezer/refrigerator. 

I wish Violet and CrazyforCanning were here, they would know exactly what was going on.  

• Like 4

Thanks Annarchy! They all sealed but, was that crazy! I always check the rims for chips while washing them and again right before I fill them, no lime in my water so can rule that out. Maybe seeping because there is some clouding on the outside of the jars. I have to can the second batch today so, gonna go over the canner and jars with a fine tooth comb as I wash them in preparation. 

On 3/3/2018 at 9:49 AM, RebelDigger said:

Thanks Annarchy! They all sealed but, was that crazy! I always check the rims for chips while washing them and again right before I fill them, no lime in my water so can rule that out. Maybe seeping because there is some clouding on the outside of the jars. I have to can the second batch today so, gonna go over the canner and jars with a fine tooth comb as I wash them in preparation. 

Do you add a splash of white vinegar to your canner water?  Also, when I jar up meats or fruits (or anything with sugar) I use a paper towel dipped in white vinegar to wipe the rims off.  Meat is oily and fruits with sugar and will both leave a film quicker than veggies etc.