MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Busy, busy, busy...

*SIGH*  :behindsofa:    peekaboo!  

Life just gets so busy.  Our youngest is getting ready to finish up her  university years, but I guess she still has one semester to finish after this next one ends.  She has an internship in a major company  up near Chicago coming up, but I'm not thrilled about it being so close to Chicago, even though it's only a couple hours away from us.  They have a protective, established program for their internships, but  you all know how Mamas worry. :shakinghead:  

I'm not babysitting the three grandchildren as much these days.  The second-grader who I was with through most of his preschool years  even told his mom that he misses being with me so much.  Granddaughter just turned 5, and she's so much like her Mama (our older daughter).  She thinks she runs the family, sometimes! :o But her parents are good and deal with all the kids fairly and well.   And  sweet little  2-year-old brother  gets so excited  when he sees Grandma that he yells "Read Book!  Read Book!" and I have to tell him to go and get one for us.  :)  

You'd think I'd have it all together, but I'm still struggling to do that.  With just DH and I at home, I'm not cooking those meals like I used to.  I'm forgetting recipes that I used to just know, as a result.  :shakinghead:  It gets so frustrating.    And now  DH is trying to lose weight, now, so it makes it more of a challenge.  

I miss  keeping up with everyone here.    FaceBook helps, but it's not like it used to be here. 

How can we get back what we had, with regular interactions and helpful info?   What do you need?   What would you like?   We have so much good information already here, that I wonder how I might  help, any more.  

I do pray for all of us.  And I miss you all.   

And here is where I break into song...    :o 

• Like 3

It's the same with me Cat.  I was here for so long and shared what I could but now I don't do what I once did which makes me not even know how to help others.  

If only we could get back to what we had but so many have scattered to the winds.   I wonder where all the "oldies" are and how they're faring.

• Like 1

I blame facebook mostly.  I think it took away from most websites.  I have one other homesteading board that is fairly new and I go there some...and here, of course.  Not sure how to revive us though.  If anyone has an idea, I'm interested!

Maybe we could reprise the old Without Warnings, one at a time, since our answers will have changed greatly with all the changes in our current lives.

• Like 1

These forums are more private, but FB is more immediate; ie, provides instant gratification. Not really sure which one I prefer.

OK, I'm lying if I say I don't prefer FB.  :ashamed0002:

But FB is also slowly killing itself w/ its "censoring" policies, so I wouldn't give up on this site (or others like it) just yet. :shrug:

:hug3:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I detest FB....for many reasons.  I could never pay for enough Internet usage to get on there.  I can't stand how BUSY the pages are.  I can't use all the time to search down thru a million half-baked messages to find anything I might want to look at.  I feel like one is [and should be] very shallow there....cuz it seems like you stand in a room of a milion people. 

I don't have a FB account and DH and I only go on his once-in-a-blue-moon.  Only to see pics of Grkids.  So I'm not experienced with it and some of my protests might not be valid if I knew what I was doing.  But it just always seems like I'm standing in my unders when I'm there.  :ashamed0002:

===========/=======

[quote}   Maybe we could reprise the old Without Warnings, one at a time, since our answers will have changed greatly with all the changes in our current lives.  [unquote} 

Ambegris, I have actually tried your idea.  But I haven't had a successful run at a Without Warning or What If scenario in years.  And I fully agree with you.  This is a totally different time for most of us.  And doesn't seem like the chance of needed the data RIGHT IN THE FOREFRONT of our minds [not  nearly forgotten in the dusty achives of our minds] ....is increasing each year?  Global tensions are higher.....which of course means economics and other really scary things might be happening sooner, than later.  :shrug:  

I can go back and post them again if people want to take a second look.  I've actually wanted to group ALL of our scenarios in a subcategory in RURR.  Others have had some very good scenarios too.  I think I'd need tech help to acheive that tho.  I can find them....but other than "bump"....I'm kinda lost.

MtRider..... Because this is how I practice/ponder, I've never stopped running them thru my mind...and sometimes on paper. 

• Like 2

I don't have a Facebook page and I never have. Nor do I want one. I hear of a lot of people are quitting FB. I hear FB and Twitter can be pretty vicious.

As for this site...if people won't talk then it will go away. I post a lot of off topic stuff just to keep the board active. Sad but if there is no give and take, what's the point. I really miss the old timers too! I hate to think it but I fear some of them have passed on. :yar:

I don't know what the answer is.

• Like 1
On 3/3/2018 at 5:17 PM, Mt_Rider said:

I detest FB....for many reasons.  I could never pay for enough Internet usage to get on there.  I can't stand how BUSY the pages are.  I can't use all the time to search down thru a million half-baked messages to find anything I might want to look at.  I feel like one is [and should be] very shallow there....cuz it seems like you stand in a room of a milion people. 

I don't have a FB account and DH and I only go on his once-in-a-blue-moon.  Only to see pics of Grkids.  So I'm not experienced with it and some of my protests might not be valid if I knew what I was doing.  But it just always seems like I'm standing in my unders when I'm there.  :ashamed0002:

===========/=======

[quote}   Maybe we could reprise the old Without Warnings, one at a time, since our answers will have changed greatly with all the changes in our current lives.  [unquote} 

Ambegris, I have actually tried your idea.  But I haven't had a successful run at a Without Warning or What If scenario in years.  And I fully agree with you.  This is a totally different time for most of us.  And doesn't seem like the chance of needed the data RIGHT IN THE FOREFRONT of our minds [not  nearly forgotten in the dusty achives of our minds] ....is increasing each year?  Global tensions are higher.....which of course means economics and other really scary things might be happening sooner, than later.  :shrug:  

I can go back and post them again if people want to take a second look.  I've actually wanted to group ALL of our scenarios in a subcategory in RURR.  Others have had some very good scenarios too.  I think I'd need tech help to acheive that tho.  I can find them....but other than "bump"....I'm kinda lost.

MtRider..... Because this is how I practice/ponder, I've never stopped running them thru my mind...and sometimes on paper. 

Usually, we all get tense in September or so, but this spring is really high-anxiety for me.  Not only am I moving, leaving my trees and vines, and taking on a huge debt that may out live me, but I'm hearing things.  Do you realize that 500 Russian mercenaries attacked a US position in Syria several days ago?  And that the Satan II missile system might be operational now?

• Sad 1
9 hours ago, Ambergris said:

.....I'm hearing things.  Do you realize that 500 Russian mercenaries attacked a US position in Syria several days ago?  And that the Satan II missile system might be operational now?

^ That makes me extremely uneasy. 

I don’t do FB very often, in fact, rarely, and then just to see pics of family, if I can manage to find them. It wastes a lot of my time, so I just avoid it. 

MrsS is the only place, on the net, that I enjoy. I am very fond of all of our members and am often found searching for some type of information. :Blushing:

Lately, my goal is finding recipes and trying to compile a list of them all. I even found a few in the Country Homestead section, lol. There’s so much great info here, sometimes I get distracted reading old posts wondering where and how our members are. 

:grouphug:

• Like 5

Well...I’ll admit I really like FB...although I have zero family attached to it...and have only a few friends (most are Mrs. S people). I use it as an informational source because I don’t often watch the news on tv. I “follow” certain pages because they post about stuff I just don’t have time to research anymore. Some are prepper  related, some are hobby related, some are about food, etc. I see it as a continuous sort of....library online.

When it comes to reviving the site I don’t know what the solution could be. We are facing a similar situation at my work. Myself and three other teachers have worked at our small public preschool for many years...there are now new aides and a new director...all of whom are younger than my own kids. It was almost awkward at first because of the big age differences...but over the past two years things are slowly working out. I kind of see it as a changing of the guard. We are passing on the history of our center (which has been around over 40 years),  giving the new teachers classroom ideas and ideas on how we handled certain situations in the past because those types of situations will crop up year after year.

It seems the majority of the folks who post have been around here for years. We need to figure out how to pass on the wealth of information that’s on this site. I know there are younger people out there looking for it because I see them asking questions on “prepper related “ FB pages. I have referred a few people this way and often will post the main page info on my Pinterest page so it rolls across my feed.

I like the idea of the Without Warning in its own space....they have been the one thing on here that’s gotten me thinking outside the box. Also, people seem to be always looking for prepper related stories to read. I wish there was a way to make the wonderful prepper fiction more accessible.....

• 2 weeks later...

I read many of the new posts on here every day but don't post much. I'm not sure why.  I guess I feel like you all know each other from way back and I feel sort of like a strange,r I guess, trying to worm my way into a family gathering pretending to be part of the family. Sometimes I have a lot I would like to say but I'm just too tired to type it all out. Sometimes I even start a post, get part way through what I wanted to say and think I don't really want to fool with that and delete it. I miss all the interaction too. I never did learn how to post pictures.Once in a great while, I think I would like to post a picture and share what we're doing but, too much trouble to learn how.  So there are my rambling  thoughts. : )

• Like 3

Daylily, you're not a stranger to me!  Seems like we have posted back and forth a few times.  I get what you mean about being too tired to finish or figure out how to say something.  I visit another website and sometimes I copy and paste what I said there and bring it here because it is easier and faster than remembering and typing it all again.  Sometimes I take what I said from here and paste it there.  LOL  I just fun out of steam.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh my Daylily...you certainly are no stranger here! You are always welcome! :hug3:

I type and delete sometimes too. If I have a looong post I'll type it out in a Word document so I can better get my thoughts together (in theory) then copy/paste it here later.

What I do to post a picture is first put it on my desktop so it's easy to find. Then I try to remember to resize it in Paint. My pictures are huge...sigh. Then just drag it to that area below where you are posting where it says "Drag files here to attach, or choose files". You just drag over it and drop.  I think it was more complicated when we had the other program.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't do FB or any other social media.   I don't post often here, mostly because I'm busy with DD.  And interrupted constantly.   I went to post here, then she told me "Come on, Mama, I'm going to run you upstairs so you can go potty."  Well, no, I didn't need to go, but she did.  After that, she resumed coloring and I finished washing the dishes, checked on the bone broth, got the towels out of the dryer, brought bills down to mail,  and then realized I was getting ready to post on here.    The dryer still needs work done on it, but DH is working 6 days/week, plus late days.  Things are not going well at his job.   Everytime the he calls, I'm holding my breath to see if today is his last day there.  We've had to put the house-search on hold because of that.  If he doesn't lose his job, I guess this is giving us more time to save money for a down payment and other expenses.   Other than the $ aspect, I'm concerned that when he goes to another company, then mortgage companies won't want to give us a loan because he will only be at the new job a short time.  God has a good plan for us.  Perhaps I'm working on being patient. 

• Like 2

Daylily, is it a smartphone connected to your internet?  If it is, you can use it to post your pictures by clicking the “Click to choose files” in the editor box. 

We all get busy sometimes and real life clogs up our days, so don’t feel bad about it. We enjoy it when people come back and let us know how they are doing. 

I am hoping that we can liven up MrsSurvival, so our members (and new members) would come and interact more. Like you all, life keeps me more busy than I would like. MIL & DH both tell me to ‘slow down & take it easy’. I’d probably have more time to be here and do the things I need to. Lol

:grouphug:

• Like 2