MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Long time away

I was curious about the differences between a pacemaker and a defibrillator, so I looked it up:

Pacemakers and Implantable Defibrillators: Summary

An arrhythmia is any disorder of your heart rate or rhythm. It means that your heart beats too quickly, too slowly, or with an irregular pattern. Most arrhythmias result from problems in the electrical system of the heart. If your arrhythmia is serious, you may need a cardiac pacemaker or an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD). They are devices that are implanted in your chest or abdomen.

A pacemaker helps control abnormal heart rhythms. It uses electrical pulses to prompt the heart to beat at a normal rate. It can speed up a slow heart rhythm, control a fast heart rhythm, and coordinate the chambers of the heart.

An ICD monitors heart rhythms. If it senses dangerous rhythms, it delivers shocks. This treatment is called defibrillation. An ICD can help control life-threatening arrhythmias, especially those that can cause sudden cardiac arrest (SCA). Most new ICDs can act as both a pacemaker and a defibrillator. Many ICDs also record the heart's electrical patterns when there is an abnormal heartbeat. This can help the doctor plan future treatment.

Getting a pacemaker or ICD requires minor surgery. You usually need to stay in the hospital for a day or two, so your doctor can make sure that the device is working well. You will probably be back to your normal activities within a few days.

https://medlineplus.gov/pacemakersandimplantabledefibrillators.html

Also, here is a link to a site that has a good explanation of your condition: https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/brugada-syndrome/

Edited by Midnightmom
  • 4 months later...

Just to update I had my ICD placed on July 12th and am doing well. All healed up, the kids tested negative for now, but will require annual EKG's to check (tends to show up sometimes but not others so hard to capture sometimes). I am feeling almost 100% back to normal now and not stressing about it anymore. I'm going to get the fullest out of every day <3

• Like 1

So glad you are feeling better.  :hug3:

I know you are beyond relieved that your children aren't being effected! You have a great attitude. No reason to think they will be later in life either. At least you know what to watch for so they (and you) can stay monitored and on top of things.   :pray: