MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

MIL gave me an Air Fryer, Cook’s Essentials 3.4 Qt Digital Oil-Less Fryer, for my birthday. I read through the instructions and did the initial cleaning it called for, then, it sat on the shelf....:rolleyes:  Mainly because it gets hot, real hot, and I didn’t want to heat up the house. 

Yesterday I finally used it.  Outside. Made hot wings and tater tots.  Learned where not to touch it.  Instead of, having to bake them, 35-40 min. Covering the stove and walls with aluminum foil, heating the oil to 400* and ducking the splatters, frying them for 4-6 minutes, waiting for the oil to re-heat and repeat. I followed the instructions from the internet:  Blue Jean Chief https://www.meredithlaurence.com/recipes/buffalo-wings/  (I like her recipes. )

I did have to increase the time 2 minutes per batch because the wings were larger than usual. No splattering oil, no cleaning oil off everything, no heating up the house when it was 110*F,  and it took about 1/2 hour less to cook everything. 

DH liked them and said they tasted like restaurant wings. I will need to learn how to make the wings a little crispier for my taste, but the tots came out perfect. 

Interesting devise.  I’ll use it again. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the review Annarchy. I've been wondering about them too. I've never seen one in person so I wasn't sure how they work or the concept. I think I'll Youtube them and see.

I love my instant pot though. I use it like an electric pressure cooker. Mostly for when I can. I do my beans for about 15 minutes and then can them. No more soaking or pre cooking them. Also for quick cooking chicken to can. I like to cook cabbage and potatoes fast too. A half an hour instead of two. I don't use it often but I appreciate it when I do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

An interesting point the made while demonstrating the larger fryer, is to spray the food with oil, olive oil or veggie oil. I’m going to get a clean spray bottle and see if it makes a difference. Logically, it should. 

I found some free Kindle ebooks on Air Frying. You don't need a Kindle. Just the App and an Amazon account.

REMEMBER:  These ebooks change prices often so be sure they are still free before you click that button!!!

Healthy Air Fryer Dishes: Delicious “Fried” Recipes Without All of The Fat!

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Air-Fryer-Dishes-Delicious-ebook/dp/B07F87LKLN/ref=sr_1_19?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1533770335&sr=1-19&keywords=free+air+frying+cookbooks

Easy Air Fryer Cookbook: Best American & British Recipes to Cook Healthy Oil-Free Fried Meals

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMHRYGW

The Complete Air Fryer Cookbook: 160 Delicious and Simple Air Fryer Recipes . Fast Food for a Good Life (air fryer recipes cookbook, air fryer for dummies, easy air fryer cookbook)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079RKSLLC

Air Fryer Ketogenic Diet Recipes: Time-saving recipes to improve your health and help you lose weight

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079RJTLYB

Air Fryer Cookbook: Easy & Healthy Oil Free Everyday Recipes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSNPNOF

• Thanks 1
  • 6 months later...

My son got one of these and it's in use at least twice a week, sometimes twice a day.  All the chicken and pork we've made have been great, and ground beef is good, but this is not the best way to cook unground beef. 

Vegetables take some experimenting and watching.  Blistered peppers are about the best so far.

Yes, we eat a lot of meat.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I’m in love with my Instant Pot...it’s made life so much easier. My mom got me one of these for Christmas...I asked for an air fryer and got a NuWave oven. I wasn’t sure about it but it’s the best little appliance I’ve ever had. Everything I’ve made in it has come out good and I can plug it in outside when it’s hot and use it like an oven.

517CD247-1201-4EB1-ADC3-AD13A1A34C2E.jpeg

Edited by dogmom4
  • Like 6

Friend notified me that she's selling her brand new air fryer...very cheap!  She's holding it for me so when hubby gets another check it will be mine!  I'm such a kitchen gadget lady, but I know I'll put this to very good use!

• Like 4
  • 8 months later...

Had enough cash back from my discover card to buy the Emeril Lagesse XL power air fryer 360.  This one does everything.  I can even deydrate food in it. Though I haven't tried that yet.  Just got it the other day, so haven't used it for much yet. Though I did some toast in it and it was better than the toaster.  I can even cook a 14 lb turkey in it.  It has a rotistery as well. So going to try a rotisery chicken in it soon.  This will replace about 3 or 4 applances from my counter and give me more counter room. That is including the toaster. I can toast up to 6 slices of bread in this.  Can't wait to try grilled cheese sandwiches in it.  Going to try airfrying some chicken wings and maybe some fries as well.  Love that I don't need any oil or any fats for fried foods.  The best part is that by using my cash back bonus from my card, it was like getting it for free.  I have done this also with another card that I got points from. Bought a newave burner with them.  That works really great when I need an extra stove top burner. Though it is electric and not gas. But works great. 

• Like 3

Jeepers, you will love it if you do get one.  The one I got replaces several of my 14 applances. Most of those were given to me by way of Christmas presents or what have you but I don't have that kind of counter space. So most have been sitting in garage on shelf. So far the only ones I am keeping out of those are my blender, mixer, bread maker, and though this air fryer also works as a slow cooker, I am keeping my slow cooker.  I also have another one that is a slow cooker, oven and I can bake in it as well. I am thinking about keeping that one or not for back up.  

• Like 2

Miki those are good ones also.  I love that I can now have a  lot less applances on my counters or having to run out to garage to get the one I need off the shelf out there.  I am hoping after getting the garage cleaned out that I will have room for my canning supplies on shelfs in garage instead of the shed.  Then I won't be having to run outside in cold or raining weather when I need something. 

• Like 1
On 1/12/2020 at 2:22 PM, Littlesister said:

Jeepers, you will love it if you do get one.  The one I got replaces several of my 14 applances. Most of those were given to me by way of Christmas presents or what have you but I don't have that kind of counter space. So most have been sitting in garage on shelf. So far the only ones I am keeping out of those are my blender, mixer, bread maker, and though this air fryer also works as a slow cooker, I am keeping my slow cooker.  I also have another one that is a slow cooker, oven and I can bake in it as well. I am thinking about keeping that one or not for back up.  

Could you replace your stove with this and a hot plate, potentially?

• Like 2

Ambergris,  I don't think I would replace my stove with it. But it does do baking.  So far the only things I have used it for is to make toast, did a rotisary chicken in it and air fried some fries for grandson.  Haven't tried baking in it yet. But the chicken really came out great and I love the way it does toast. Much better than a reg. toaster. Haven't tried the slow cooker part yet either.  I am going to in the next week try making a pizza to cook in it. 

• Like 2

I love my air fryer!  I use it for fries, breaded fish or other meats, and have even baked a little cake in mine.  You just can't cover the tops on mine, it sucks it up...ask me how I know!  Anyway...it's nice to slice up some potatoes and dump them in, set the setting for ??? and walk away. 

• Like 2

Those air fryers are great. Mine replaced 4 applances. It looks like an oversized toaster oven.  I can even slow cook in it. But not giving up my regular slow cooker. That I will use in summer.  Air frying is so much healthier than using oil and frying stuff.  Going to have to check out those sites for air frying receipes.