MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

New Canning Book

I just saw a new canning book on the market. Anyone seen it or have any opinions about it.

It looks interesting, but then again, I find all books about canning interesting.  :Blushing:

The Complete Guide to Pressure Canning: Everything You Need to Know to Can Meats, Vegetables, Meals in a Jar, and More                    

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1641520906/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=thekne-20&linkId=e3f532666eeead1c03be03f30185f1dc&language=en_US

Should have said this is for pressure canning only.

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So glad someone is debunking the common belief that "you cant can meats" that I keep hearing.  

Edited by kappydell

The University of Georgia has had meat-canning info posted for years, as have some of the desert states.  My problem is that canned meats have ...un-meaty textures.

I haven't had any issues with the texture of chicken. I only can cooked breast meat. I can't do bones, fat or skin. Just an "ick" factor for me that I can't get past. I use most of my canned meats in soups though. I think the only meat texture issue I have is with hamburger. It isn't horrible, just different.

I have really good luck with my chicken veggie soup. Also my ham and potatoes.

I do those little Smokie link sausage, potatoes and green bean mix too. I cut the smokies in half. The links are sort of dry and crumbly but edible. What they add to the flavor of the potatoes and green beans is well worth it though. They are a little greasy for my liking but I just drain them before I zap them. I only can soups and stews etc. in pints since I'm the only one eating it. A quart for me would be too much..

I can't wait to start canning and freezing again next summer.

• Like 1

I have canned no less than 100 lbs of chicken. The 10 lb bags I buy are not really quality but I can them for the cat. I have no texture change ...it is between baked and fried in taste in my opinion.

Some times I skin sometimes I don't but I do leave the bone in.

• Like 3