MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Momo

Don't trust the ad!

This has happened more than once so I thought I would pass it along

I was looking through a big box home improvement ad.  They had a nice stove on "sale".  They said the regular price was $1099. Their price was $599.  I happened to have just gotten the new 2019 Consumer Reports paperback showing the MSRP for the EXACT same model number.   The correct regular price is $649.  That would make it a savings of only $50 instead of $500.

• Thanks 4

Maybe THEIR regular price was $1099!!!  :o

Only way to tell how far off the mark that is would be to know the MSRP.  :scratchhead:

Too many times I have seen prices rise just before a sale, so they can have this big mark down. ... which is regular price.

• Like 2

I've thought that too Twilight. Raise prices far enough ahead of time so people forget, then lower them back to the real regular price and call it a sale to make it look like you are getting a big deal on the regular price. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As a business owner, we see it as an industry normal practice. 

The % off is generally the amount they’ve raised the price a couple of months before the sale. 

It’s a sad practice, but people fall for it all the time. 

We try to buy when average prices are low, or when we are fortune enough to find a great sale, then, hold the inventory until an appropriate time, then, sell just a little higher than cost, enabling a modest profit, yet, still being able to provide our customers with a price lower than the average advertised prices on the market at that time, like Black Friday or Christmas sales. 

Making a profit at the cost of others, has always chapped us. 

• Like 3

Saw a Black Friday for an item that normally costs $200, give or take twenty depending on the strength of the currencies.  On sale 40% off.  Just $201.  What a deal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thursday evening we took a quick trip into WM to pick up some ice cream cups for today's dinner and people were already inside with their carts standing beside the bins they were interested in and police, security and sheriffs all over the place.  We got the ice cream and scooted out as fast as we could...they were going to ring the bell at 6...and we were there at 5.  People are nuts!

• Like 3

I'm all about capitalism and I want businesses to make a profit and succeed. Just don't lie to me and make a fool out of me to do it.

I really hate it when they charge the same price but change the amount of ingredients. So many things call for a can of this and a box of that. When they give you less it can mess the whole thing up and you don't even realize it. Just charge a few cents more if you have to. Sheesh.

Don't get me started on the size of toilet paper rolls now. I'm a TP hoarder. I've got comparisons stowed away in totes! 

• Like 2

Whoa, WE2....cutting a bit close on the MANIA MOMENT at WM!  :o  Glad you got outta there!  [isn't that sad to think tho?]

I'm with ya on changing the quantities, Jeepers!!!  :tapfoot: 

Man, ya gotta be a computer to keep track of all the price changes like Ambergris mentioned.  I used to write down prices on a list ....but I got nasty looks for that.  What?  I can't remember numbers!  And yes I AM price checking! 

MtRider  :shopping:

• Like 1

The Walmart in Chico did not have a Black Friday sale due to the "tent city" of Camp Fire evacuees who have settled there.

https://krcrtv.com/news/butte-county/chico-walmart-not-participating-in-black-friday-due-to-camp-fire-recovery-efforts

Camping in the lot is part of Walmart’s culture. That tent city in Chico is something else.

It’s been part of Walmart’s culture for decades: Travelers in recreational vehicles are welcome to stay overnight in the parking lot.

But an entire tent city full of disaster evacuees? That’s put Walmart in an uncomfortable bind. 
https://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article222040960.html

22 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I really hate it when they charge the same price but change the amount

Has anyone but me noticed how much harder it is to get your trash bags to fit over the lip of your trash can?  Hubby drilled holes around the top of mine quite some time ago so they slip down and over quite nicely...not now!  I can barely get the thing over the lip and getting it off...don't get me started on that!

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I used to write down prices on a list

I started carrying a 5x8 binder (I can tear out the pages when I want to) and I have a page for each store's name that I need to (or want to) shop at.  On it's page I keep my grocery list and the price I pay.  I always have hubby with me so ask me if I care what people think! :thumbs:

• Like 2