MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
out_of_the_ordinary

US History books

Sale at National Center for Constitutional Studies   https://nccs.net/collections/christmas-specials

Those are some very good sale prices.  I already have all of these.     I remember reading The 5000 Year Leap and thinking it was the best US history book I had ever read.   National Center for Constitution Studies is one I the places I trust to have accurate history.  Another is Wallbuilders.   Most of these books we had for several years before DD was born.  DH would buy them for me for Christmas and birthday gifts.   After DD was born, I then bought the rest of them for our home  library.   Anyway,  even if you're not homeschooling, these are just GOOD history reads.  

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Thanks 2

Now that there are so many trying to rewrite history in the light of political correctness, it is critical not to lose accurate history texts.  

I have developed a new passion for history like never before, seeing unfortunate errors being repeated by those who clearly have not studied history's lessons from the past.  

I will scoot over and look at those books - I need a source now that I am reaching the end of the ( bought at the 2nd hand store, so untainted by political correctness) book on ancient and middle ages history that I am reading now.   It is fascinating to see how the historical events shape so many things (including problems, LOL) of our current time.  History rocks!

• Like 1

My 'goto' is SHOTUS.  School History of the United States, 1896.  There is a pdf on the Librum site, but it is HUGE.  "http://www.librum.us/reg/shotus school history of the united states 1897.pdf", then The Practical Educator series, 1932, which we have online, but pdf is for fee (sorry!)(exe versions are free)(index is #54, http://librum.us/stacks1/tpe_v54_4877-4968a.exe".)  Enjoy.  Sarah.

• Thanks 1

The National Center for Constitution Studies books aren't textbooks, just regular books.   As much as I can,  I'm  mostly using a real book approach to homeschooling, so books like those are wonderful.

I'm reading (there's 2 stacks of books between the bed and nightstand) the God's Plan for America series by Peter Marshall and David Manuel.   So good!  The first one is The Light and the Glory, the 2nd is From Sea to Shining Sea, and the 3rd one is Sounding Forth the Trumpet.    The time period for the 3rd one ends in 1860.   There's also a set for young readers (originally called "for children").  I think the age range on that is 10 and up.  I typically avoid anything abridged or "edited", but did purchase the younger reader set.  

It is interesting that by reading books that do not omit God and faith in history and people's lives,  I then very much notice it missing from other books.