MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need data/opinions about eBook readers...Kindle, etc

On 1/6/2019 at 3:02 PM, Mt_Rider said:

Welllllll, iPads are extremely HEAVY for my hands.  A case would give a little something to grasp... and they have a way of folding to set upright?  I know I'll have to get another laptop when this one actually dies.  I MUST always have a keyboard; so much of my computer usage is word processing.  Writing stories, etc.  I'm just trying to take the pressure off the laptop by taking Kindle elsewhere. 

I really do not like CLOUD.  I know that if it works...WHILE it works....it helps not to overload systems.  But when I go to chose another book....I spin thru right there on my own device.  Perhaps it's because we don't have access  to this CLOUD unless we're at home.  Or at a library.  And we apparently will NEVER purchase ENOUGH access to keep messing around with any CLOUD. 

Question:  you all talk of accessing the CLOUD.  Thru what part of what device do you do that?  Internet access thru cell phone  or ....??  This is where I don't have much experience with accessing anything thru cell phone.  We do not have a data plan for the cell phone.  Therefore....we don't have a data plan for any of these devices either, right?  I would need to access the books thru our computer modem and satellite dish....even if I'm using a book reader or iPad, right?   ANY function that is cell phone-based, is not available to me at home....and thus, NOT available to me at all.

I know...it drove our kids crazy when they rented an Airbnb out here once.  Just calculating that they had WiFi functions but zero CELL functions.  They assumed WiFi = Cell phone.  :grinning-smiley-044:

I actually have an older iPod with a reader function.  But it's all jammed up with the years-of-backlog of email.  Never figured how to clear it.  Can I load a Kindle-for-iPod app on that?  The current reader app is not Kindle-friendly.  All my books are Kindle.  Would it be worth it...it's almost a decade old.  Worked as of 6 yrs ago when I was at Darlene's to get Koa.  I could check email on it.   I'm not sure I'd find it comfortable to read on ...full time.  It's 4"x2.5" or something like that. 

Can you tell I don't have enough data to understand?  About the time I figure something out, they've developed NEW STUFF....  I agree, Annarchy.  Tech is moving way too fast for me in boonies to keep up.  :sassing:  

MtRider   :scratchhead: 

Glancing through this thread, I don’t see an answer.

iPads come in different sizes and weights.

I have a case for mine that is book-like, opening somewhat like the cover of a book. The nice thing about the case is that the front cover is a tri-fold stand for the iPad, and in landscape mode makes it like a small touchscreen laptop.

Mine has plenty of internal storage so that I do not have to rely on the cloud.

I like that it is not locked into one source for books. While I can read Kindle materials on it, I can also go to places like the Gutenberg Project for books, or the Apple store, or other places and get reading material. Years ago I had a Kindle Fire and it was much less versatile.

I also like that I can use it as a small computer, much more so than the Kindle Fire I had. The Fire did not last very long before it died. Maybe 2 years if I recall correctly. This iPad is well made and going strong after several years.

• Like 3

Cowgirl....that's some new information.  Esp. about the folding cover that can prop it up.  That's currently how I read on laptop. 

Different sizes....but I can adjust the print size to see comfortably...right?

I've handled other people's iPads and they are quite heavy.  But...so is a laptop. 

I've got enough ebooks to fill more than 32 GB {?}   (I THINK....very rough guess.....AND  I keep forgetting which is GB or MB or ?????)  Does an iPad have that kind of capacity?  But then, if I got an iPad....that takes pictures too, right?  That would be tempting to fill up space with pics.  I USED to take lots of pics.  But they all go away after you change devices so I gave up.  {yeah, store in the CLOUD}  :rolleyes: 

All of our emergency family issues have come in front of this issue in priority right now.  But....I will have to do something.  Old laptop limping along but is acting like an unpredictable old person!  :wacko: 

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

I read on my phone with an app called pocket book.  I read on my computer with a program called calibre library.  I just transfer a couple (dozen) books to my phone from my computer and delete them off the phone when I'm done.  I have ….more than anyone would admit too, probably more than my library has physical books.... books on an external hard drive.  It takes up roughly a Terabyte and I've room to grow.   

You would be better off buying a tablet than a 'book reader.'  They cost the same, there are numerous free apps to read books and the tablet has many more uses than a book reader.    Storage is a non issue.  Anything you buy is going to use an SD card or a micro SD card and they are very cheap to upgrade for more storage.  I think I pay about $89 for 5 Terabyte external (for use with a computer, not compatible with devices,) $40 for a 400GB micro SD, and roughly $10 for 32GB micro SD.  

The easiest way to access the cloud is to sign up for a free google email.  Go to google, click on the app button.  Third icon from the right that is squares.  Choose the green & yellow triangle that says google drive.  You can now drag and drop any information to your 'cloud.'    Download google drive app on your phone or tablet to access your info on that device.  it will use your data plan if you are not on wifi.    I use it to move data around, not for permanent storage.  

Edited by euphrasyne
mispelled calibre program
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, euphrasyne said:

I read on my phone with an app called pocket book.  I read on my computer with a program called calibre library.  I just transfer a couple (dozen) books to my phone from my computer and delete them off the phone when I'm done.  I have ….more than anyone would admit too, probably more than my library has physical books.... books on an external hard drive.  It takes up roughly a Terabyte and I've room to grow.   

You would be better off buying a tablet than a 'book reader.'  They cost the same, there are numerous free apps to read books and the tablet has many more uses than a book reader.    Storage is a non issue.  Anything you buy is going to use an SD card or a micro SD card and they are very cheap to upgrade for more storage.  I think I pay about $89 for 5 Terabyte external (for use with a computer, not compatible with devices,) $40 for a 400GB micro SD, and roughly $10 for 32GB micro SD.  

The easiest way to access the cloud is to sign up for a free google email.  Go to google, click on the app button.  Third icon from the right that is squares.  Choose the green & yellow triangle that says google drive.  You can now drag and drop any information to your 'cloud.'    Download google drive app on your phone or tablet to access your info on that device.  it will use your data plan if you are not on wifi.    I use it to move data around, not for permanent storage.  

I have an iPad, a Kindle Paperwhite, a Surface Pro, and multiple phones.  I've had Kindles, Kindle Fires, Samsung tablets, and other random toys.  

What do I end up reading on?  The Paperwhite.  I don't like reading from the color screens.  The way that the screen for the Kindles is designed makes it where I can read for a LOT longer without my head hurting, plus it's a lot lighter than anything but my phone. 

The Kindle Fires just ticked me off because they're so locked in to the Amazon app store that they didn't function as a useable tablet for me and I couldn't access some of the apps I normally use all the time.  They were basically just used for watching things.  I didn't even like the resolution for cookbooks.  It is a matter of personal preference, but I flat out don't like to read on a color screen unless it's something that I need color pictures for.

Note that iPads do not have the ability to use an SD card, if you choose to go that route.  

I don't have a case that folds and stands by itself, but I normally have a music stand, cell phone stand, or something else available to put it on.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Cowgirl....that's some new information.  Esp. about the folding cover that can prop it up.  That's currently how I read on laptop. 

I've handled other people's iPads and they are quite heavy.  But...so is a laptop. 

I've got enough ebooks to fill more than 32 GB {?}   (I THINK....very rough guess.....AND  I keep forgetting which is GB or MB or ?????)  Does an iPad have that kind of capacity?  But then, if I got an iPad....that takes pictures too, right?  That would be tempting to fill up space with pics.  I USED to take lots of pics.  But they all go away after you change devices so I gave up.  {yeah, store in the CLOUD}  :rolleyes: 

All of our emergency family issues have come in front of this issue in priority right now.  But....I will have to do something.  Old laptop limping along but is acting like an unpredictable old person!  :wacko: 

Storage-wise, my iPad has 128GB.  It's not expandable.  I think 32GB is the bare minimum that they make them with anymore.  I do have a case that folds around, but I hardly ever use that feature.

You can plug an iPad into a computer and back up the pictures onto it.

You can adjust the size of print in all the devices - computer, iPad, Kindle, etc.  It's a function of the reading software.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My MIL has a kindle.  It is the same color as pocketbook on my phone.  The way the screen colors for books is adjustable for most of the book apps. I usually use a 'tanish' low lighting background with an antiglare font.  I also hate bright screens and this is comfortable for me to read.     You should check it out if you are looking for something with different lighting.  

My older daughter has an ipad, it uses a special flash drive for extra storage.  It is about $15 for 32Gb.  

I usually get them cheaper locally, but this is what they look like:

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Suntrsi-External-Storage-Compatible/dp/B075H8KX2T/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1548251012&sr=8-9&keywords=storage+device+for+ipad

Almost all devices can be memory expanded if you know what to look for.  ^^

Edited by euphrasyne
add link
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

My iPad has 128GB. Yes it has a nice camera, and I use it some, though not as much as my phone camera. It easily transfers photos to my computer via my modem. I also store some online via Google and also on my blog at Ello, for the ones I use in my posts there. It does not have an SD card, but if you don’t have a computer you could use an external hard drive or flash drive with an adapter.

I really like its ease of use, the available apps, and its versatility.

Android tablets would also be worth exploring, although I don’t have the experience with one to make a recommendation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know anything about Androids, iPads or iAnything. My phone is the cheapest phone from TracFone. $100.00 a year baby.  :008Laughing:

I don't like to read on my laptop or my Kindle Fire's. I either read on the Kindle Touch or Kindle Paperwhite. 99% of the time on the Paperwhite. It's a 'reader' and that's what it does best.

I really like the Fire's for things other than reading. I can do quick web searches and play a few games from the free aps. Especially word games to keep my brain active...I hope. It's also great for free movies and things from Prime. I don't care that much for movies but they do have lots of really great documentaries. Also free TV, Radio, etc. I bought the 8 inch and decided I liked it and got the 10 inch. I usually only use the 8 inch when the 10 inch is charging. The 10 inch is heavy compared to the Paperwhite.

I have the tri folder for the 10 inch too. The one I got isn't all that stable though so I rarely use it for that. It's not that comfortable when you are in bed on your back propping it up on your stomach. It seems to fall forward all the time. It would work on a hard surface though. This is the one I got when I bought the Fire 10 inch:  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07K2RVYMR/coliid=I2VPDHEKY8VL3Z&colid=YQT0IQ0PHQ8B&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

What I really like for video watching on the 10 incher is a stand. They have them for smaller readers too. I got this one:  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00HFRYA7U/?coliid=I280QUC6N50OL9&colid=YQT0IQ0PHQ8B&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm thinking I'd probably like something like one of these pillow props to use for the reader while in bed since I do most of my reading in bed at night: https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kindle+holders+for+reading+in+bed&sprefix=KIndle+hol%2Caps%2C221&crid=2Y2FONN4IQZR2

• Thanks 2
16 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

Storage is a non issue.

Whoa...now we're talkin'!  

I can't rely too heavily on my data plan.  We go over and have to purchase bonus points currently.   I still get phone functions and Internet functions mixed up.  No cell functions from here.

Sheeeesh, Jeepers.  Lookit all those holder thingabobs!  :bounce:   I have a bed desk device with accordion [and infinitely adjustable] legs.  It would work for a reader/tablet/etc.  It's how I read on the laptop without it squishing my stomach.  But I have an adjustable hospital bed so it's in chaise lounge position when I read. 

I think my head is spinning.  So many options or combination of options.  Storage on thumb drive sorts of devices.....I might be able to get my 10,000 books ....AND some other stuff.  I have my entire laptop [ EXCEPT KINDLE BOOKS ]  backed up on thumb drive....thankfully since it's still acting oddly here an there.  :unsure: 

I'm processing all this.....  I will always have to have a laptop due to typing so much.  Thumb typing or whatever just won't do.  [tho I've marveled at how fast some can do that.]

MtRider  :thumbs:   :thumbs:  

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

My MIL has a kindle.  It is the same color as pocketbook on my phone.  The way the screen colors for books is adjustable for most of the book apps. I usually use a 'tanish' low lighting background with an antiglare font.  I also hate bright screens and this is comfortable for me to read.     You should check it out if you are looking for something with different lighting.  

My older daughter has an ipad, it uses a special flash drive for extra storage.  It is about $15 for 32Gb.  

I usually get them cheaper locally, but this is what they look like:

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Suntrsi-External-Storage-Compatible/dp/B075H8KX2T/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1548251012&sr=8-9&keywords=storage+device+for+ipad

Almost all devices can be memory expanded if you know what to look for.  ^^

I've changed all the color settings around in the Kindle app.  I don't really go with other apps because I'm not willing to have to use Calibre on the PC every time I buy a new book.

I have one of those things for storage on the iPad.  I don't really consider them to be extra storage for it as they aren't something you attach in.

Here, have fun looking at these... since you need the lap top for typing.... most computers are Kindle compatable. Mine is on my 2006 MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone, and the Win10 desktop.   If I had done my homework/research like you are doing, I’d probably would have gotten the Surface Pro, instead of being stuck at my desk with the desktop computer. 

MacBook Pro

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

MacBook Air. (2.75 lbs.)

https://www.apple.com/macbook-air/

Or...

You can choose Windows...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/featured-devices/surface-book-2

You should always use the app you like best.  But I'm not sure what you mean by have to go through Calibre.  I only use Calibre when I read on the computer which is infrequently.  When I read on my phone, I just open the book with pocket book.  New books get sorted into my storage system and then just transferred around as needed.  The vast majority are never even opened on my desktop.  I usually just hook up my external to my computer and thus my home network and everyone just downloads the books they want from my filing system (alpha by author and in series order, and Non fiction sorted into specific categories and subcategories.)  

*   edit.   I just realised that maybe you are talking about the calibre library cataloging program.   I don't use that, my system is better for me.   I just use the calibre reader because it can open all file types except for cbr which I have another program for.  

Edited by euphrasyne
spelling
  • Like 2

Calibre will read .azw3 (kindle) formats.  That is why I use it.  It will open pretty much EVERYTHING except .cbr.    Pocket books won't read the azw3, buy you can easily convert it individually or in bulk with Calibre.   I have a ton of books in pretty much every format imagined, but I dislike azw3 and usually convert those to epub.   If  you don't like Calibre for whatever reason, there are several other programs that will also open azw3 that are not related to amazon.     MobiReader, FBreader, EBookDroid are a few that come to mind that will handle azw3 files.  

Edited by euphrasyne
spelling
  • 1 month later...

Well....I saw the price marked down so I bought a Kindle Paperwhite.  Arrived today in the middle of the PREP FOR ODD STORM day.  :sigh:  So it's out of the shipping box  but still all wrapped out.  It's late and I won't be able to even look at it til we know this storm stuff is passed. 

But....I'm excited to try it out.  Brain needs to be working.... all new to me.

:sSig_thankyou:  THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR DATA AND INPUT.  Hopefully more folks were learning from this thread too.  :sSig_thankyou:

MtRider   :pc_coffee: 

• Like 2

Which did you get, Jeepers?  Mine arrived by UPS guy hours before the MegaBlizzard started.  Didn't get a chance to even open the box till yesterday.  DH got me hooked up to our wifi and I began a Collection: Cooking.  Then I downloaded a half dozen books from my stash of ten thousand.  :buttercup: 

I got the 32 instead of the 8.  No brainer for me.  And since I've drowned 2 of 3 phone sets in the washing machine....I got the waterproof one.  Also no brainer.  :bathbaby: 

Spent hours reading the instruction -- on the device.  Bookmarked where I'll have to go find that again to remember what I read.  Still not done reading the whole thing.

But just before bed, I read a little of one fiction book.   

MtRider  :happy0203:

• Like 1

I got the new waterproof PaperWhite. Upgraded it to the 32GB with audio and Wifi and no ads. It's supposed to come preloaded and registered. It probably will because the last one did. I ordered it while it was still on sale last week but delayed shipping until tomorrow because I was out of town. I got a leather case for around $39.00 because the ones with cloth on the inside tear up my hands when I fold it back. I even found little slivers of fiber in my fingers.

I'm saving back my other one. I'll trade it in next year for a Kid Kindle.

Its going to be fun going through all of those books and sorting them into folders...not.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Its going to be fun going through all of those books and sorting them into folders...not.

:faint3: 

No kidding.  I'm still stumbling around trying to DO what I read I can do....  And wondering how I got on this page and how do I get back?  :scratchhead:   Doesn't help that my brain/body is still recovering from the MegaStorm and all the physical labor!  So much gets put on hold..

It's light enough.  I like the non-slick feel of it....tho I've done a couple of juggling acts already.  :buttercup:  

Just in case anyone doesn't know, you have to go to your Amazon page (I think it's called Content and Devices) to really permanently delete a book. 

Also, if you have more than one way of reading a book, like Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire or Kindle PC, you will need to download a book to each device.

I was missing some books and realized I wasn't downloading them to both Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Fire. I went to my Amazon page into Content and Devices checked all the boxes and sent everything to all my devices. I was surprised by how many items I was missing on some of them. 

• Like 1

I usually just delete them from my device, and let them stay in the "cloud" just in case I want to re-read them later.  We have five devices set up.  One each for our kindle readers.  One each for both big laptops, and one for our Acer notebook.   He has his, I have mine and then we have the Acer notebook. We purposely download them separately because of space.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:33 PM, The WE2's said:

I usually just delete them from my device, and let them stay in the "cloud" just in case I want to re-read them later.  We have five devices set up.  One each for our kindle readers.  One each for both big laptops, and one for our Acer notebook.   He has his, I have mine and then we have the Acer notebook. We purposely download them separately because of space.

I've permanently deleted a few that were just plain trash.

• Like 1

Same here TheCG. Some I couldn't even finish. I'm not at all sorry to see them go. There for awhile I seemed to be getting books where English was obviously a second language. Pfffft. Maybe even third. The author's name looked American or at least English and you wouldn't know until you got the book. Thankfully I'm too cheap to pay for many books these days so I've never lost any money on them. 

• Like 2