MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

pickling squash

So, this last summer I was talking to a friend. I had an abundance of squash my husband grew ( I think it was crooked neck --- it was yellow).  I hated to see it going to waste, so a friend suggested I pickle it, as they eat it for a snack. I did not even think to research this to see if squash was safe to pickle and can. The other day I was looking up something else and ran across and article that stated there is no safe way to pickle squash. 

Does anyone else do this? I am always so careful to NOT do something that isn't safe, I can't believe I did this. The disappointing part is my daughter, who is a very, very picky eater loves it!

I hate to stop doing it, it's so good!

• Like 1

We can't stand pickled veggies or eggs...but I do pressure can the squash/pumpkins.  I just make sure the squash is cut in either very thin slices or very small chunks, and the pumpkins cut into very small chunks.  I absolutely do not puree...density problems there.  If I want a puree I just drain the jar and dump it into my VitaMix machine.

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 2