MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Annarchy

Reminiscing Wagons Ho!

Seems like every time I go outside, I remember the adventures of Wagons Ho!

I look at the clover/alfalfa the sprouted 2 years ago, that I let seed.... it’s taken 2 years for an handful of plants to grow. Thinking of how many plants I have purchased, that have withered up & died, after I planted them....

Considering and planning my garden, I know many of the seeds I have in storage won’t sprout.  And how long it has taken to properly fix the soil.....

Collecting seeds from vegetables we eat, and wonder how many will really grow? And, are they GMO? Did they get cross pollinated while they were growing?

I’m considering building a tool shed out of scrap wood, thinking about the supplies needed... without a big supply of nails, screws and such... a daunting task. 

Making a a piece of furniture, without electricity, having to use hand tools to cut and sand the wood....

Ignore me, just thinking how grateful I am for what we have the we sometimes take for granted.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I know this is why we do what we do, but still seems overwhelming when I think about too many areas that I am not quite ready in!

• Like 4

Even though we didn't plant a 2018 garden, we did for 2017.  I pulled out "saved seeds" from several years ago and put them on a wet paper towel, folded it in half and then put them in a plastic baggy (not closed).  I do this with all my plants when I'm ready to start gardening.  The ones that sprouted I put in dixie cups with soil and let them come on up.  I also did this with some seeds from a speghetti squash and yes, they grew and produced...until the squash bugs got it!  I sliced a tomato and put it in a container of soil, and got lots of little sprouts that I was able to plant.  So yes...I think saving seeds of all kinds is a must.  Even if you only get 10 plants from a package of ??? you'll still have produce and more seeds to save.  Who cares if they produce "true".  If you're hungry you'll eat it...in my opinion.

• Like 4

Very true We2’s 

Last night I was thinking about the wheat that grew in the garden, a 4’x8’ section. At harvest time, we got, maybe, a pints worth of seeds. A pint of seeds.... ground into flour, makes about a cup,  6 months growing, using up limited garden space, requiring water daily, not considering the tares that were mingled, didn’t/doesn’t make sense economically, at least here in the desert. However, that pint of seeds could have been re-planted, using up all the garden space, etc.... still does not make sense to me, when that space could have been used for other plants.

Then, to add insult to injury, I tossed some of the seeds out to the birds..... they wouldn’t eat them....  they are still spread out on the ground. :scratchhead:

Food for thought, I guess. 

• Like 3

Didn't really have a garden for 2018.  So much going on with DH's health, I just didn't do it.

I have a spot close to water for a garden this year but need it tilled up and it is in the front side yard, not the safest place for food.  Wish I could use the back yard, but goats.  I don't have a lot of hope for this garden, but will try this year!

• Like 4

Always worth trying. I do, but it doesn’t always work out the way I hope. 

I planted 2 tomatoes and 2 jalapeños plants in the front flower bed, when the trimmed our cedar trees. They have flourished. If the neighbors want to pick them, they can. We are getting enough from them so far. Out at the road, they just look like landscape greenery. :whistling:

Next week I am going to plant the peanut seeds, I collected from the bird seed, in the remaining flour bed out front. They get pretty yellow flowers. Maybe no one will notice it’s food. Lol. 

• Like 3

My life was so weird during the Wagons Ho that I really could not commit to it.  In retrospect, I really missed a lot.

• Sad 1

I figured I'd have a big-ish canning garden this summer. But then I thought about 'the move' and all it will entail. Even after the move I'm going to have to repaint everything and furnish it. Replace appliances etc. Then try to unload this place. The trips to Indy from Ohio to get the house there and do paperwork and get my license, insurance and homestead act thing was mentally exhausting. So, I think if DIL wants to plant a few things she can have at it this year. She probably won't.  :rolleyes:  Next year I'll get some raised beds and work with a plan.

I'm still a little confused about planting and septic tanks. I know where the cleanout place is so I assume that's exactly where the tank is but I'm not sure if there are pipes that spread out underground or not. And something about a leach field? I don't want to plant any fruit trees close to anything that the roots will damage. Youtube said to not plant any veggies or edibles over the septic areas. I have a lot to learn.

I think the Wagon Ho was before my time. Or I was new and didn't get the concept yet.

• Like 2

My clean-outs, the four-inch-diameter pipes coming straight up out of the ground, with square projections on the top to allow unscrewing the caps, have all been right outside the house, between the nearest toilet and the septic tank.  This is for plumbers to use. There's also an access hatch for the honey truck to use.  The tank lid itself will support only shallow-rooted things like grass and mints and such.  Try to avoid trees that might pry up the lid to get to moisture inside.  The green place in your yard during the dry season is your drain field.  That's where you have to be really careful about planting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Clovers white and purple grows wild in my garden. As do some other self seeded herbs like marjoram and mugwort. I have OA so no gardening. Even potted plants on patio area is not doable with my OA. I had a chillies/hot pepper indoors but it died. I grow it from seeds of 1 shop bought chilli pepper, will start some new. OA = osteoartritis.

On 2/17/2019 at 12:18 PM, Annarchy said:

I’m considering building a tool shed out of scrap wood, thinking about the supplies needed... without a big supply of nails, screws and such... a daunting task. 

Making a a piece of furniture, without electricity, having to use hand tools to cut and sand the wood....

Ignore me, just thinking how grateful I am for what we have the we sometimes take for granted.....

People say diamonds are a girl's best friend...well not this girl, this girl's best friend is pallets. Yes you read that correctly, pallets. You would be surprised what you can fashion of those things. Best of all they are free.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.