MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A few Walmart stores closing

There was Kmart and others but ....the big Walmart?  :unsure:

https://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-stores-closing-list-2019-3#3603-broad-river-road-columbia-south-carolina-6

Others....

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/retail-apocalypse-jcpenney-payless-lifeway-announce-3-000-combined-store-n988756

Some types of stores closing already have a big OnLine presense like LifeWay Christian Book stores.  They're tightening up but still available to anyone who shops on-line.  Course....books...  Some of us would like to touch/feel real books sometimes.  But....honestly, I haven't purchased a real book in a real store for years.  I'm not typical cuz I rarely leave home.  Still...it is a trend.

Does anyone have opinions on the trend toward purchasing everything on line and taking delivery?  I still want to SEE my own fruits/veggies/meat! 

MtRider  :shopping: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 1

What a shame. It really makes me sad. Since my K-Mart closed I've missed them already a couple of times. I had to to drive a couple of extra miles in both directions to get what I needed. Not to mention the time and bigger crowds. I always try to support the most fledgling stores but it seems like the big shoppers were only going for the Out Of Business deals. That sort of rubbed me the wrong way too. :shrug:  I took advantage of the sales but I was a regular customer too.

I shop a lot online but it is mostly items I can't find locally. Since Toys R Us went out of business I buy most of G'sons toys on line now or at Dollar Tree. I don't buy toys at Dollar Tree per se  but I have gotten a lot of good deals on crayons, paints, play dough, coloring books, chalk and room decoration charts for the walls etc. Oh and tons of flash cards. 

I know a lot of people don't like Wal-Mart because they are such a big corporation but FOR ME the bottom line is they pay a ton of taxes, and they hire my friends and neighbors who wouldn't ordinarily have a job. Or insurance. They usually have what I need AND they donate to Service Dog Project. :pout:

I still miss Boarders Bookstore. It was a nice place to go in and shop around. I have a Barns and Nobel about an hour away but it isn't the same. 

If I can get anything locally I do. But its sad to say that probably 70 percent of my purchases are from Amazon. Not necessarily from ease of shopping but because of availability of merchandise. 

I haven't ordered my groceries online. I still want to squeeze my tomatoes and Charmin too. 

I want to buy a small table and chairs but I've only seen the wooden ones online. Sigh. I want to see them I person to see how sturdy they are. They will need to hold a baby butt and a grandma butt.  :gathering:

For books, you can't beat Ollies. It's a junkie store but they have tons of overstocked books and CHEAP. 

• Like 2

I think our WM is pretty stable.  It's the only super center for several miles in any direction.  The Penney's?  Who knows.  I don't shop there.  We don't shop online.  We go "to the city" to find things we can't find here which isn't much.  We do like to visit Half Price Books, Cargo Largo, Sams Club and Costco. We let our memberships expire to both but can renew them anytime we decide to go shop there.

Edited by The WE2's
added content
  • Like 1

OOTO, what a fantastic idea. Crimony, why didn't I think of that. I live just under two hours from the world's largest Amish community and I go there every couple of months or so. I have bought all of my oak furniture, that I have, from down there. Everything that would fit in the Jeep that is. I can attest to the quality and beauty of their hand made furniture. And it isn't any more expensive than factory made either...at least not down in the Berlin, OH area. 

I'm getting so used to ordering online and at Amazon that I forget about mortar and brick stores. Oh heck yeah...I know exactly where to get a little table and chairs now that will be strong enough to hold even me. I'm kind is surprised I never even gave them a thought.  :(

:sSig_thankyou:   :bouquet:   :cele:   :hapydancsmil::cheer:.  :bow:    

:woohoo:  :darlenedance: :woohoo:

• Haha 3