MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Who Does Container Gardening?

Dee

I have gardened for more years than I care to count, BUT I've never done container gardening.  Now that I'm older it's a long way down to the ground and getting up seems further yet. :) 

So, this year I'm going to try container gardening.  Can anyone give me some suggestions?  Do I need to use expensive soils or can I just use our beautiful black Iowa soil?  For things like tomatoes, peppers, you know the regular garden things, is a direct south sun too hot for plants in containers?  How about that hot after west sun?  I know they need watering at least once a day.  What about fertilizers?

I am really new at this so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks in advance! 

Dee

• Like 1

We do a lot of container gardening as well as raised beds.  We will be "defining" our container gardening next year (not this...we're resting) and doing it like the youtuber 

Leon.  He's got several methods that appeal to us.

• Like 4

I'm going to be doing a lot of raised bed and container gardening next year too. I can still get down with the best of them. Getting back up is another story though.  :rolleyes:

Wish I had more advice but I'm going to be new to it too. I do watch a lot of Youtube videos.

I like the idea of raised beds. Especially the taller ones. Make sure they are narrow enough to reach half way across from both sides comfortably. Any tools you need can be small hand tools. You can get little seats with wheels on them so you can sit and roll around the garden. Think skate board style.

I've seen where people use grow bags and even one of those small hard plastic kiddie pools.

• Like 2

I have transitioned to mostly grow bags. It gets too hot where I am and the roots of the plants were basically baking in plastic pots. How often you water depends on what your high temps are during the summer. We sometimes get strings of over 100 degree days and I have to water every morning. Drip systems come in handy if you have a larger garden.

• Like 2

I mentioned grow bags because I just saw a video on them yesterday and I put some of them on my Amazon wish list. I put the 7 gallon size on there. Most of them are either 5,7 or 10 gal. so I figured 7 gal. would be a good compromise.

Any thoughts on the best size for grow bags?

I'd like to have one of those soaker hoses hooked up to a water barrel. Don't know if there would be enough force for the water to come out though. Probably not?

• Like 2

Oh, I love the ideas and help you've given.  It looks like there are more than just me interested in container gardening.  

Dogmom4 and Jeepers, I used to hear about grow bags but never gave them much thought when I could get down and then up off the ground like a kid.  :)  I think I'll check into them.  Thanks for the heads up.  I wondered if those plastic containers might just hold too much heat.  Bummer! :( 

Annarchy, these self wicking containers have caught my attention but we're still in the spring mode here in Northern Iowa.  It's too early to put anything out, other than the peas and potatoes that we put out Good Friday.  After Mother's Day is when we figure the frost is finished.  We've actually got snow forecasted for tomorrow.  Really stupid but it does happen.  Of course, it could be in the 70's by Sunday.  Transitional weather.  LOL

Thanks ladies, I hope we can keep this discussion going!  :gathering:

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Jeepers said:

if there would be enough force

Depends upon the elevation of your rain barrel.  We get a "decent" flow but will be elevating the four of ours in the garden area to gain more forceful flow.  The one on the side will need attention also...when we get the gutters cleaned out so the drain pipe can catch some! They put those silly "metal slotted things" over the gutters and they're clogged up and doing absolutely nothing except overflowing where we don't want it to go. 

• Like 2

LOOK!!!  I actually started container plants of Early Girl tomatoes this afternoon.  I bought a 4 pack so I've put 2 in each pot.  I am so excited since this is my first time ever. :hapydancsmil: Of course, I had to bring them in this evening since we have snow forecasted. 

I want to check into the self-wicking too but I was in town today for groceries for kids birthday dinner on Sunday and couldn't resist getting started.

tomatoes.jpg

• Like 5

Awesome start! Another good thing about container gardening is that you can elevate the pots for easier accessibility. An elevated platform as simple as cement blocks. You could walk by or even wheel by to tend to them. Just be sure the surface is something you don't mind getting stained from soil drainage. 

We2 I saw a video where a guy leveled an area, spread out a layer of sand, put down a layer of cement paver slabs, added 2 layers of cement blocks *and topped it off with another paver. He put his rain barrels on top of that. It was basically 2 cement blocks high plus a couple of inches, but the base was nice and sturdy and attractive. I suppose you could go 3 blocks high? 

*Now that I think about it, I think he put cement pavers between the two layers of blocks too.

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 2

Dee, I have been wanting to grow a few things in pots, since DH is not wanting to grow ANYTHING and I can maybe sneak a few pots in.  I will visit our farmer's market on the town square, but some folks truck in veggies from outside our state.  Not what I want to buy.

• Like 2

Jeepers, the size of the bag depends on what you’re planting. One tomato plant will do fine in a ten gallon bag. I have some bigger ones where I have planted more than one thing. I do suggest you get ones with handles because they can be moved. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JM3J9E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Like 3

If you can see the bags in the middle of this picture....they are ten gallon size. The one behind the small (IKEA) table is 15 gallon.

02FE002A-844D-45EC-A6F8-CC5A8D10B6D8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Oh my dogmom. Those are the ones I have in my Amazon wishlist!  :008Laughing:

I had the 7 gallon option though. I'm going to change it to 10 gallon ones. I was thinking about tomato plants and sweet pepper plants.

• Like 2

I like this guys ideas too. There are two different videos in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QyOeC8SEKo

Oh brother. What a mess. I almost deleted this whole thread by trying to delete this post! There are two different videos in here. I was trying to delete/re-enter the last video so it would post as a link. Oh my, what a horrible feeling. I did delete my post above this one...somehow. But I'll re post it below this one. Sheeesh.  :knary:

Edited by Jeepers
I'm A Hot Mess
  • Thanks 1

I somehow deleted this video. Sigh. This guy talks about using Wal-Mart shopping bags. The ones you can buy. He says they are normally about $2.00 but if you ask, they have some thinner ones for $.50. I don't know about that because I've never bought them. He's guessing they hold about 5 gallons. I've been watching a lot of gardening videos lately and I've noticed a lot of people are using the Wal-Mart bags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiwpRT0laXE

• Like 2

I’d forgotten about using Walmart bags! I remember seeing a video years ago about using them. He puts more plants in his bags than I’ve tried before. I might have to push the envelope to see what I can grow.

• Like 1