MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

'Nother odd fact, OK?

Too windy to sit outside so I'm back cruising Internet today.  Here's what I discovered that just might win you millions someday on a TV game show.  :rolleyes: 

WHERE did the term OK  [okay] come from? 

=-=-=-==-=-==-=-

OK, here's the story. On Saturday, March 23, 1839, the editor of the Boston Morning Post published a humorous article about a satirical organization called the "Anti-Bell Ringing Society " in which he wrote:

The "Chairman of the Committee on Charity Lecture Bells," is one of the deputation, and perhaps if he should return to Boston, via Providence, he of the Journal, and his train-band, would have his "contribution box," et ceteras, o.k.—all correct—and cause the corks to fly, like sparks, upward.

It wasn't as strange as it might seem for the author to coin OK as an abbreviation for "all correct." There was a fashion then for playful abbreviations like i.s.b.d (it shall be done), r.t.b.s (remains to be seen), and s.p. (small potatoes). They were the early ancestors of OMG, LOL, and tl;dr. A twist on the trend was to base the abbreviations on alternate spellings or misspellings, so "no go" was k.g. (know go) and "all right" was o.w. (oll write). So it wasn't so surprising for someone come up with o.k. for oll korrect. What is surprising is that it ended up sticking around for so long while the other abbreviations faded away.

Then it Got Lucky 

==-=-=-=-=-=-=-

{bold mine} 

To read more:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/what-s-the-real-origin-of-ok?utm_source=pocket-newtab

THEN I had to look up  tl;dr   ....."too long; didn't read"  .....apparently the horror of writers who've submitted something to teachers or editors.  Or someone getting sassy in the Comments section of an Internet article somewhere.....as if they ARE an editor and we are all in need of their assessment.  :buttercup: 

MtRider    .....oll korrect then!  :pc_coffee: 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

THEN I had to look up  tl;dr   ....."too long; didn't read"  .....apparently the horror of writers who've submitted something to teachers or editors.  Or someone getting sassy in the Comments section of an Internet article somewhere.....as if they ARE an editor and we are all in need of their assessment.  :buttercup: 

MtRider    .....oll korrect then!  :pc_coffee: 

tl;dr is also used at the very beginning or end of a long story to provide a 1-2 line summary.