MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Annarchy

Car Battery

Good grief!  WHY, just why, did they decide to put the battery under the engine compartment, just in front of the drivers side front tire, under the dust cover!?!?!?!?

You have GOT to be kidding me.

None the less, it’s replaced.

2 weeks ago, DH went to take it to the store, came right back in the house, mumbling, “...all it did was ‘click, click, click’...”.  I got the car manual out and found the instructions to charge it.  The book said, under the hood, were two posts for charging it.  I connected the charger, the day he went to TX.  It took all day to charge.  I drove it to the post office, then, took it out for a few miles, hoping the extra drive time would have done the trick.  But, nooooo, AZ heat took its toll, and the battery was dead the next day.  

Diligently, thinking to surprise him, I pulled out the manual again, and looked up how to replace the battery. I found the page, it said where the battery was located, I turned the page, and to my total disbelief, the next paragraph was about something completely different!  I even looked at the page numbers to make sure a page wasn’t missing...silly me.

I looked at the wheel well, and discovered there was less than 6-8 inches of working space.  Sooo, me being me, I got on the internet. Every explanation stated, the front tire had to be removed to be able to get to the battery, the dealerships instructions said to turn the tire completely to the left.  Like THAT is easy, with no power steering.  

Because he was gone, & I was alone, I didn’t feel comfortable jacking the car and removing the tire, JIC something went wrong, I wouldn’t have backup.  The job was postponed.

We were going to attempt it last week, but with the temps in the 110* range, we opted to wait for this week, where the forecast was predicting the highs to only be in the low 100’s.  

It was windy yesterday, signifying a weather change, and DH mentioned, when I got up & he was heading to bed, that it was only supposed to get to 100* today.  Challenge accepted!

I got the jack and lug wrench out, along with the other tools I figured I’d need.  Found where to put the jack.  I only had 6 inches of clearance under the car, because of the way it was parked. Scissor jack, indeed...  got it placed, and was barely able to turn it, but, enough to begin to lift the car.  I turned my attention to removing the lug nuts and tire.  The nuts wouldn’t budge, even using all my weight!  (A project for another day.  I don’t need a flat & be unable to change the tire.)  I gave up, got in the car and turned & turned & turned the tire as far as I could, using all my strength. 

Sat down on the ground, and began removing the push plugs holding the dust cover in place.  Ack! Missed one screw, holding the fender in place.  With that finally removed, I got the cover off.  Then, it was just a matter of removing the cables and bracket, in a very limited space.  Once I got them off, I juggled the battery off it’s platform, onto the ground.  But... the car fender was still too low to the ground to be able to pull the battery out.  And, because it was sitting in front of the jack, I wasn’t able to lift the car any higher.  Sigh.  Frustrated, hot and dripping with perspiration, I almost ripped the front bumper off pulling it out. :whistling:

Off to NAPA for a replacement and home again with the new one. I swear the new one is heavier. Lol.

I learned my lesson well.  First thing was to jack the car slightly higher, in order for the battery to slide under the fender, because it obviously wasn’t going to slide between it and the tire.  Lifted it in place, pushing and shoving it back & forth to get it to sit in its proper place.  Attached the cables and took a moment to stare at it.  Next, was to replace the bracket... wait, but first, I decided, after all the work, I was going to make sure it worked.  Car came on like a champ!  Great.  Went to attach the bracket, only to discover, since the new battery had a carrying handle, it raised the top bracket attachment a bit too high to get the nut on the bracket bolt.  After working in a 1/2 inch space, tugging and pulling on the handle, it finally moved forward enough to attach the bracket.  One down, time to re-attach the fender & tire well dust cover.  DH will have to use his strength to completely push in a couple of the push plugs.  I could probably get a bigger hammer and take my frustration out on them...  :icon19:

I did consider calling road side assistance, however, the deductible, plus towing, plus the estimate of $250. for shop labor and then the cost of the battery, Meh.  

Here’s the work in progress.... dust cover and the wheel well area where the battery is located.  

62D856D6-1BEA-46DF-8CED-DCB5867005CE.jpeg

67FCDAC2-266B-478B-8DF1-2B8FA2F836F7.jpeg

I forgot the most important thing...

Thank you Lord, for giving me the courage, stamina, knowledge, understanding & strength to preform and complete the project.  :amen:

• Like 1

What is the year, make, model?  I might be able to get a hack for you.

I wish, Ambergris. 

2006 Chrysler Sebring. 

I searched the net for an easy way to fix it. 

I got a 5 year battery, meaning, in 5 years I need to do it again. :sigh:

4 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Sorry.  The hack is to take it to a shop.

Yeah, that’s what I read.  Thanks anyway... And, the shop would remove the tire, with their power tools and end up doing what I did, then, charge me an arm & leg.

• Like 2

Thanks, Jeepers, but unnecessary. My Papa was an auto mechanic, when I was a teen.  We were in the shop every day after school.  I can work on older cars, but, the new, 90% electric ones, nowadays, I won’t touch. I sometimes think they are made that way, on purpose, to keep people from being able to fix their own vehicles.   Job security, ya’know.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 7:13 PM, Ambergris said:

What is the year, make, model?

Cuz I don't ever want to buy that type of car!!!!  :o 

What a mess!  Batteries are somewhat fragile......who in the world would think tucking them nearer to the road is a good idea????  Yeah, the person who will sell you the new one.  Or the guy who will put it in for you.    Ah HA!  Annarchy fooled them tho.  She did it her own self!!!!  :cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer: 

MtRider  :thumbs:  ......in merely 100* weather, she says.  Awk!

There's one where the instructions say to remove the engine to change  the last two spark plugs, but you can get to them by lifting out the battery if you know the hacks.  Sheesh.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.