MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Candyland game and polio

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/07/how-polio-inspired-the-creation-of-candy-land/594424/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Anyone besides me unaware of the connection?  Didn't know this.  Everyone from my generation is familiar with Candyland.....and the fear of polio.  Of all our school tho, only one boy was affected.  A year or two older than me, he got around with a leg brace and forearm crutches.  Heavy metal clanking equipment.  Glad there is lighter versions now.  Sometimes I wonder tho, if he was ever affected by the second round of symptoms.  Some have distressing after affects when they're adults. 

Anyone here remember going in for the sugar cube?  I do....at the high school cafeteria.  My folks chose not to do the 'live virus' version tho.

MtRider  .....trivia/nostalgia for the week  ;) 

I don't think I had the game as a child but I bought it for my son. I have one waiting in the closet of g-sons room at my house. I bought it for rainy days. I remember taking the sugar cube.

We played another game where you pulled a colored chip from a cloth bag and moved our 'man' to the color of the square that corresponded to the the colored chip. It was for non-readers. Any one remember that?  It seems like it had Winnie the Pooh on it. I can't remember. 

• Like 1