MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Robots....uh?

Mt_Rider

I guess I'm behind in the progress made with robots.  I don't get out much...  :scratchhead:  A friend told me she saw Rock-It Robot walking around the Iowa State Fair last week.....walking in the crowds, greeting people, fist bumping, hugging....  :o   Um....kinda cute and kinda creepy.  Thinking of the accidents the Tesla cars sometimes have....don't think I want any kid squashed with a misstep.  Rock-It is huge.  And....is it wearing a crown?  <_<    

http://www.iptv.org/fair/story/34571/rock-it-robot

The Russians have robots that shoot...... 

http://www.iptv.org/fair/story/34571/rock-it-robot   

And then I saw today that the Japanese have a robot "priest".  :shakinghead:   Well okay, that one's not going to be caught in adultery but SHEEEEEESH!  

Some comments from the article about the "priest" ..... my response in CAPS.

So......article says: "this 'priest' will never die."  [NOR WILL IT LIVE]

says:  "That's the beauty of a robot. It can store knowledge forever and limitlessly. "With AI we hope it will grow in wisdom to help people overcome even the most difficult troubles. It's changing Buddhism,"

[NO....IT WILL NOT EVER GAIN "WISDOM".  THAT IS FOR THE LIVING.  IT WILL GAIN DATA AND MIGHT ANTICIPATE RESPONSES BASED ON ALGORITHMS]

says:  "This robot teaches us ways to overcome pain," he said. "It is here to save anyone who seeks help.[PULLLLEEEZE!  IT HAS NOTHING TO 'TEACH' AS IT CANNOT FEEL PHYSICAL OR EMOTIONAL PAIN]

The person in the article comments that robots are a common theme in Japanese culture  Would that make any difference in how they view this? 
At least there is no deception that it is a robot....not crafted to look all that humanoid. 

Why don't they just have taped recordings of a human giving the speeches/lectures/sermons.....(I don't know what they are called for Buddhism).  It is no different....an electronic delivery and less expensive to pay a real person to record it than buy a robot.  Surely this thing is not putting together it's own speeches/responses from data being fed into it???   :unsure: 

Far worse than Rock-It....

Star Trek's 'Data' character [an android]  was fun and NOT REAL.  Even evil twin 'Lor' ...was not real.   But Star Trek explored how we would one day need to resolve some issues about robotics....and robots-gone-bad. 

MtRider  .....hmmm...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1