Jump to content
MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Midnightmom

Cautions when cooking with Xylitol

Recommended Posts

I had a very sad post come across my FaceBook newsfeed yesterday. It broke my heart to read what happened to this family and their beloved furry family member and I have decided to repost their tragic story whenever and wherever I could so that everyone (not just dog owners) would be made aware of the danger this "innocuous" sugar substitute can pose to any canines in your life.

 

I chose this forum so you could be made aware of the symptoms of Xylitol poisoning in dogs and can be ready to ACT QUICKLY if you even suspect that your dog has ingested anything with Xylitol in it. This family lost their dog because it ate some discarded gum off of a sidewalk and they were definitely "not really ready" and totally flummoxed by their dog's sudden onset of distress. I am honoring her wish to spread the news about this new danger to our furbabies. :(

(I have copied and pasted the text of the post for those of you who aren't on FB)

 

Quote

Our beautiful boy 

 

Since Friday evening I’ve watched my family be ripped to complete shreds and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. ARMAC did their absolute best for Winston I’ve no doubt about that, it just wasn’t enough to stop this vile substance from completely taking over and ruining his healthy body.

 

We went from having a perfectly healthy dog running round, absolutely loving life chasing a football whilst his sister rode her bike. To 30

mins later he was so poorly he never recovered. I’ll never, ever forget the sadness in his eyes and I hope one day when I think of him I see that big goofy face again rather than these horrible memories. I’m torturing myself even though it’s pointless, but I can’t help it.

 

I never realised the impact a four legged furry nobber would have on our lives. My chest is physically hurting. I’ve cried constantly for almost 24 hours and I just can’t stop no matter how hard I try. He should be lied next to me with his head keeping my feet warm as I type this, barking like a loon if anyone walks near our house. And he’s not. His 4 year old sister doesn’t quite understand, hearing her ask over and over why Winston had to go heaven is horrendous in ways you couldn’t imagine. As for his Dad, my wonderful, stronger than he realises Dave, there are no words to describe his heartbreak and I know I’ll never, ever be able to ease his pain.

 

And all because some wanker has spat some chewing gum out instead of using the umpteen wheely bins which were out awaiting collection just yards away.

 

All dog owners need to be aware of the dangers of Xylitol and how it’s in so many items just lying about your houses. Those brownies/cupcakes you made from a packet mix? Full of it. That pizza you got from the takeaway? Full of it. Your toothpaste, pasta, peanut butter, anything what says sugar free it’s probably in their too. But it won’t be labelled xylitol, it’s labelled ‘sugar alcohol’

 

In memory of our beloved Winston, check your cupboards, check everything you give your Dog. And keep as close an eye on them as possible when out walking. We’d never heard of it, so when our boy started vomiting and then collapsed within 30 mins of getting home from his last ever walk, our last ever walk as a family of 4, we were clueless.

 

IF THAT HAPPENS GET THEM TO AN EMERGENCY VET AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE, as even then, like for Winston and us, it may already be too late

 


 

 

-----------------------
Xylitol info:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/xylitol-toxicity-in-dogs

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/03/24/dangers-of-xylitol-for-pet-dogs.aspx

https://www.aspca.org/news/xylitol-sweetener-not-so-sweet-pets?

https://petdiabetes.fandom.com/wiki/Sugar-Free_Products_Warnings

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Midnightmom said:

(I have copied and pasted the text of the post for those of you who aren't on FB)

 

Thanks for reposting here....the data....reminder.  It's in a lot of things too.  :(

 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. It happened to one of our service dogs. Vivian (a perfect pet) got into her moms vitamin A cream and it killed her. Her liver couldn't handle it. Why xylitol was in the cream...who knows. It's everywhere.

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My big brown puppy had horrible, violent seizures one night, probably from getting into a package of chewing gum.  Naturally late on a Friday night.

 

He lived, but wasn't quite the same after.  His back, not good before, was touchy after.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.