MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

In sickness and health...

So when hubby and I married back in 1981 we went as traditional as possible, that included our wedding vows. The past few years has really put those vows to the test. Between his degenerating back, my cancer and now his cancer, I am ready for the in health part. As most of you know I was diagnosed with uterine cancer back in February and had a total hysterectomy at the end of March. Well three, yes three freaking, months to the date that I had  a total hysterectomy hubby was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He opted for a radical surgery to remove the prostate. He had that procedure on 9/12. We know several men that opted for treatment only to have the cancer come back with a vengeance and he didn't want to take that chance. Plus we are enjoying grandbabies now so we don't need those parts. Hopefully when we go back for a check up tomorrow we get good news and can move on to the next health issue...his back.

I work for Prime Healthcare and they have hospitals from coast to coast. Well the Prime hospital in Gadsden, Alabama has a neck and spine surgeon that has invented spacers for people's backs. Our doctor is sending all of hubby's records to this doctor to see if he is a candidate for these spacers. Best thing is my insurance will cover it 100% since it is a prime hospital!!!! Plus we have family and friends there so no hotels and eating out. 

I am trying not to get my hopes up but it is exciting news. It will mean the possibility of being pain free. Something that has not been part of our lives for four years. Hopefully this time next year we will pain free and hiking.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, mommato3boys said:

spacers

Not sure if this is the same thing, but our friend just had back surgery that sounds very similar.  Him being a farmer he had really done some serious damage to his spine and began to lose the feeling in his legs...especially the left.  He's back on his feet now but has to be very careful.  He knows when he's over done it and regrets it.  Just needs to realize it's going to take quite some time for all that work to heal.  Prayers going up for your hubby and you also.

• Like 1

Wow....you've had a rough few months.  So glad yours seems to be just fine.  Will pray same for your dh!!!

Spacers....my dh has two crushed-on-one-side vertebrae.  Car accident looooong ago.  He has numbing in leg when he drives a lot.  He's not ready for anything radical but as the years march on.....this sort of advancement may be an option.  I'm glad to know about it, thanks.

MtRider  .... :pray: for mommato3's dh

• Like 1

Good luck on that.  They were going to do two of my neck vertebrae, then do one and look at the other, then did one and stopped talking about the other, and I think I need the other.  So if they talk about doing his in stages, make sure you advocate for him and push on any followup that needs to be done.  Don't let years go by like I have.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Sad 1

Well the doctor is 70% sure he got all the cancer. It was out side the prostate and in fatty tissue. No radiation right now. As long as the PSA stays in the normal range then there will be no further treatments. If it starts to climb they will start a round of radiation just to be safe. Right now we are going with...they got it all! Go back in one month then every six. I am going to make my second 6 month check up a month early so we can do them both the same day. That way we only have to go to the big city once. I could have used a  valium or a stiff drink after driving there yesterday. Those people are crazy and they have perpetual road construction. 2020 the year we start working on our bucket list!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, mommato3boys said:

do them both the same day. That way we only have to go to the big city once.

Got that right!  Double anxiety to hear double results but ....it's a good plan!

:amen:  ......for that surgery to be over and prediction is good!  :amen:  

MtRider   ....rest now.  Eat chocolate!  Continued :pray:  

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

Well after a nasty battle with the insurance company and threatening to call the state Benefit Commission on them, hubby finally got back in to see the doctor. Yes this was for his post surgery check up. Needless to say my blood pressure was up and my bp meds were not working. 

But the good news is... .drumroll please....no treatments in the near future. The day of surgery his PSA was 9.11 at this post surgery check up it was 0.08 :hapydancsmil: so no radiation in our near future. Thanks for the prayers.

Oh I had my 6 month check up and all was good. We are both cancer free!

• Like 5

Mommato3boys, I am so glad all worked out and you are both cancer free.  DH and I spent all morning at dermatologist for his basal cell cancer to be removed.  They got a clean marker and all is well. He is to report back to his reg. doctor for a check but after what we found out when they removed the cancer cell is that it went all the way down his cheek. Reg. dermatologist never addressed this and froze the main part of it that did not work over a course of a year till I put my foot down and told him it's not healing and has gone beyond skin cancer.  So will be looking for new doctor for his skin check ups as he has skin cancer all up and down his arms and that doctor does nothing but freezes them. Time for a real doctor to check these skin cancers. 

I do have to agree with the marrage vows.  8 years after DH and I were married he had a major stroke. It was an anurism that was there from birth that burst causing the stroke. The bad thing was it was at the base of the brain stem where they could do nothing. So he had a bleed out. Doctor said it was a deadly stroke but by the grace of God he survived it.  Had to learn to walk all over again as well as trying to get use of his hands back. He did well but never got his balance back. So we still struggle with that. 6 years later he had a major heart attack and was rushed from one hospital by amulance to another for major heart surgery. They split a vein at the first hosp. doing a cath. So off to the other on for 6 way bypass and repair of the torn artery. Now here we are with a pacemaker and defibulator.  But he is still with me and that is all that counts.  God always seems to get us through these tough times. Though it has changed our plans for things we wanted so much to do, the main thing is we are still together and it has now been almost 35 years of a wonderful marrage despite all these set backs. 

mommato3boys,  God alway prevails when times are tough. Be it through sickness or health. The main thing is that you got though it also.  praise God for all of it. You are both cancer free. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Littlesister said:

it has changed our plans

My first husband lived 26 years after brain surgery...when he passed we had been married for 42.  It was a hard life.  Being a caretaker is not an easy life.  THEN...God brought Mr. WE2 into my life.  We've been married 10 years.

• Like 3

So glad to hear that things are looking up for all of you with so many health problems. Prayers anwered indeed.   I am now thinking that DH's issues is with his blood thinner.  They changed it about 8 months ago and it was after that he started going down hill. I did the research and sure enough he has almost every side effect coming and going right down to why his back has been breaking out with a rash.. So off to heart doctor as soon as we can get by this week of doctors.  Boy am I tired.   They got a clean marker for the basal cell cancer. So that is gone. So just has to heal now from where they took it out. 

Everyone please try to stay well for rest of year and next year as well.  NO colds, flu, cancers or anyother disease that they try to throw at us. I think from reading everyones post we have all had enough illnesses and need a break.  As it is right now I pulled a muscle in my back helping DH get up out of his chair the other day as they told him he had to sleep with his head propped up. Our bed lifts up but that hurts his back so he decided to sleep in recliner. I slept on couch in den with him. His legs got weak in that chair after being in in all night and I had to lift him out of it. Once on feet he was ok but slow walking. But I have my heating pad and aleve. So it will be fine in a day or so. 

That would be great, Little Sister...if changing blood thinner would make a lot of symptoms go away for your dh!  Hope your back feels better.  :( 

I'm washing hands with more attention these days....too much lurking out there.  :behindsofa:   Especially after DH or both of us has "been to town". 

MtRider  :dishes: