MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Don't Kiss Your Chickens!

Midnightmom

The CDC is issuing another warning to backyard poultry owners as there have been more than 1,000 cases of Salmonella across 49 states -  

:reading:  https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/14/health/cdc-salmonella-outbreak-kissing-chickens-trnd/

(CNN)The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention would like for everyone to please refrain from kissing their chickens. And from snuggling them. And from eating with them. And from inviting them in their homes.

As a matter of fact, it's probably a good idea for people to just give their chickens some space.
The CDC and health officials have been investigating several multi-state outbreaks of Salmonella linked to contact with backyard poultry -- meaning chicks, ducklings and the like.
The organization issued an update to its investigation on August 30, and cautioned all chicken keepers to wash their hands with soap and water after touching poultry or anything where such animals roam.
The CDC reports that as of August 23, there have been more than 1,000 cases of Salmonella from the outbreak across 49 states. Two people have died from the infection, and 175 people have been hospitalized.
For those wondering why the CDC felt compelled to caution people against getting too cozy with their poultry, the phenomenon is apparently more common than one might think.
A 2016 study from the CDC showed that an alarming number of people have apparently contracted salmonella from kissing their fowl friends. Of the chicken-related salmonella cases the CDC studied from 1990 to 2014, thirteen percent of patients had shared a smooch with birds.
Meanwhile, 49 percent of patients the CDC studied said they had snuggled baby chicks, and 46 percent said they kept chickens in the house. Ten percent of respondents said they kept chickens in their bedroom.
So please, people, don't make the CDC beg. Just leave the chickens alone.

I ......don't know whether to .......   :wacko:         or        :008Laughing:     

I mean yes, poultry.....birdbrains that they are....can be cute.  Our 5 ducks will sometimes come waddling up the steep driveway in a single-file line to get us if we're "late" letting them into the duckhouse for the nite.  :rolleyes:   Sometimes they follow me around the barnyard.  We've all know each other since 2012....we're pals. 

But REALLLLY, PEOPLE?   Have some space!

Good one, Midnight!  Never seen this before.  

MtRider ..... kissing my duckies?.......   :grinning-smiley-044:

Lol.  Yes, they eat strange stuff, poo and all. But, still, I wash my hands after ‘cuddling’ my girls. Mom always taught us, harped on us, about washing after taking care of all our animals.  Good grief, I wash, after cuddling the dog too.  Isn’t it common sense?  They can handle gross stuff, we can’t. :imoksmiley::icon19:  Nuff said.  Thanks Midnightmom.  A lot of people don’t think about that.  And, yeah, I kiss my chickies, but, still even wash my face.  They even give me hugs. :wub:

• Haha 1

Midnightmom + cute little fuzzy baby chickies = killjoy. 

I had my lips all Chapsticked up and puckered just waiting for a big old honkin' rooster to walk by to lock lips/beak with. I'm crushed. Maybe I can still sneak a....wait for it...peck. 

I used to kiss my dog on her head. Okay once in awhile on the muzzle. But never on the mouth. Knowing where that mouth (hers, not mine) has been was bad enough. It's hard to tell what I didn't see. The little hussy. 

• Haha 1

You're a doozy, Jeepers.  :coffeescreen: 

Annarchy....definitely.  Was taught constantly:  Wash hands...wash hands....wash hands!  ....did you wash WITH SOAP:tapfoot:  We were on a farm and using chemicals.....and farm animals.  My folks were VERY careful and accidents on our farm were rare because of that.

Well it sunk in and I'm constantly washing hands around anything but especially the animals.  I have those Clorox wipes in my vehicle and wipe off hands after letting ducks out and picking up the eggs.  OF COURSE!  When I milked I had to DOUBLE/TRIPLE that sanitation!!  Otherwise milk tasted 'goaty'.  Yes....even after the dog and before any kitchen activities! 

=======================-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=========

.....Oh, thank YOU, God!  My laptop SNAPPED off while typing this.  Cord slides out  and with a ZAP, it shuts off!  But it restored my pages and my half-finished post.  How come you get all sorts of warnings on computers except.........HEY, YOUR LAPTOP IS UNPLUGGED AND YOUR BATTERY WILL GIVE OUT IN SECONDS........10....9.....8....7..........

MtRider  ....new computer time AGAIN?  :buttercup: 

I shared this post on some FB groups and one of the comments was about how the chickens' beaks were shaved down. I thought the pic looked a little odd, but couldn't quite figure out what it was. :( BUT, most of the people this warning is for won't have chickens with beaks like the ones in the picture.

ETA: Just went back to the article to capture the pic they used, and lo and behold, there is a new pic with chickens that haven't had their beaks blunted. ;)

Edited by Midnightmom
Just now, Mt_Rider said:

You mean as in:  clip/blunt chicken beaks if they won't leave off pecking each other to death?

I'm pretty sure they removed the first pic for 2 reasons:

1. They weren't "backyard" chickens

2. To be "politically correct" and not offend the sensibilities of animal activists, etc. (Do they even have any common sense???)

• Sad 1