MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Annarchy

Win 7 Updates

Microsoft: Free Windows 7 security updates for 2020 election

https://www.stltoday.com/business/national-and-international/microsoft-free-windows-security-updates-for-election/article_81965eda-a1a6-5a56-b7e0-7142b5ada1bb.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — Microsoft said Friday it will offer free security updates through the 2020 election in the United States — and in other interested democratic countries with national elections next year — for federally certified voting systems running on soon-to-be-outdated Windows 7 software.

An Associated Press analysis previously found that the vast majority of 10,000 election jurisdictions in the U.S. use Windows 7 or an older operating systemto create ballots, program voting machines, tally votes and report counts.

Windows 7 reaches its "end of life" on Jan. 14, meaning Microsoft stops providing free technical support and producing "patches" to fix software vulnerabilities, which hackers can exploit. Cash-strapped election officials are scrambling to address this issue and what's essentially a one-year extension on additional costs.

That's good I suppose, but I'm shocked so many jurisdictions still use Windows 7. I'm dragging my feet upgrading to Windows 10. I don't wanna learn anything new. My laptop is shot so I was going to have to do it soon anyway. I'll still use the old one for off line work I guess since I have some programs that I'm sure won't be compatible with an updated version.  

I have an older machine for the same reason.  It gets online, sort of, but won't get into most sites.  It has links to all kinds of places I used to hang out, that no longer exist.  Sigh.  

The new machine is I think a bit over -six years old now?  One year original warranty plus five years extended warranty and now I'm on the second extended warranty?

• Like 1

A tip to you both.  The HP Elite SFF 8300's are win10.  And as the govt is upgrading, the recalls are being refurbished and flooding into the eBay/Amazon/etc markets.  We grabbed four for Librum use.  Not shabby machines.  Typing on one now, less than $500, maxed out.

Sarah

• Thanks 2