MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Mt_Rider

Anyone in CA a part of PG&E power shut off?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pg-e-may-cut-power-060733285.html

This is a situation we've been watching for over a year now.  Anyone affected by this preemptive shut off of electric power?  9 counties affected..up to 124,000 people.  Yikes.

MtRider  ...also praying for rain here.  :pray:  

Edited by Mt_Rider

The shut-offs were mostly in the foothill areas, I live in the valley. However, when they went back out to restore power they found some damage that COULD have been problematic had the power lines been energized at the time. But it still sucks to have your power turned off.

5 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

found some damage that COULD have been problematic had the power lines been energized at the time. But it still sucks to have your power turned off.

Hmph....so that proves their strategy is worthy?  

..........wellllllll...reluctantly I admit to saying frequently.....ANYTHING is better than WILDFIRE.  :(  

MtRider  ...... :shrug: 

PG&E safety shutoff policy affects different county's in different ways.

In Butte County (home of the Camp Fire) the recent safety shutoff affected  ~35K people, but PG&E only set up FIVE cooling centers that only accommodated 100 people each AND were only open during daylight hours! <_< :( :huh:

More populated, wealthier counties have adapted their emergency plans to respond to the new reality of thousands of residents losing power for an undetermined amount of time. But the preventive outages are proving to be a burden to smaller, poorer counties without resources to set up places for people to cool off or mobilize staff to deal with emergencies if outages stretch past two days.

"The outages are to avoid an emergency and a fire disaster, but there are no resources that counties can access to make sure that people are at a cooling station or get the transportation they need to get there," said Darby Thomas, deputy executive director of the California State Association of Counties.

https://www.mail.com/news/politics/9426120-outages-to-deter-wildfires-burden-rural-california.html

• Sad 2

I'd have to fill a big horse tank with water and sit in it for the duration of heat...   ....somehow this doesn't seem like a good long term plan  :scratchhead: 

MtRider  ...We're so very dry here right now too....  :pray: 

Do they think the damage was due to natural causes or do they suspect foul play? Or would they say even if they knew?

17 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Do they think the damage was due to natural causes or do they suspect foul play? Or would they say even if they knew?

The damage is found when they do an inspection of the lines before re-energizing them AFTER the weather alert shut-off is completed. 

They report the find and comment on the length of time needed for repair and restoration of service.

• Like 1

Here is yet a new [or Age-Old ] twist on the CA vs PG&E problem. CA Wildfires -they had over 200 wildfires start IN SPITE OF THE POWER PREEMPTIVELY SHUT OFF.   :(  

Be careful out there, all you CA folks!!!  In CO we are currently Crispy Critters too....but most areas did get some amount of snow in the past 2 days. 

Below is the link to the article.  A summary statement.  Then I copied some of the comments that I thot were interesting or might lend some information to their situation.  [Disclaimer:  I certainly don't know the CA situation so feel free to read other comments in the article]   I thot the first one brought up a good point...if that's how it's happened???  :shrug:   I thot the last comment was tongue-in-cheek humorous.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/governor-attacks-pg-e-blackout-024355466.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=2_15

"Faced with mounting public anger over massive blackouts, California Governor Gavin Newsom blasted PG&E Corp. for years of “greed and mismanagement” as the bankrupt utility restored power to more than half those left in the dark."

Comments:

Kenneth 13 hours ago

Here’s the truth from my retired neighbor, a 40 pge employee. Up until the late 80’s/early 90’s, pge as well as state funded contractors, trimmed and cleared dead trees around high power load lines. Then the Sierra club lawyers (who push any environmental legislation just so they stay busy and have jobs, regardless of the practicality of their self serving needs) started pushing the state to close off vast areas of land because “it had to return to nature”, and not even pge was allowed to even enter these areas, much less trim trees. Pge even warned the state about the potential fires, and the environmentalists said “that’s all part of the cycle of nature”. Worse, logging companies were forbidden to clear cut areas, that are part of their normal pattern, of cut/replant/grow/cut cycle, again cause all this was too disruptive to poor Mother Nature. Pge even told the state in 2005/6 that if we went into a drought, the overgrown areas and dead trees were going to cause massive fires, but our government buried their heads. And looked what happened, and now newsom is blaming pge. That’s such a politician thing to do.

Bill the Avenger

No, it's not all their fault. Politicians and government officials were too lax in zoning for construction and forest management which increased the risks of wildfires. Newsom was Lt. Gov for 8 years and for that duration the Dems were also in control of the state, but instead of preparing for a predicable issue they focus on other things like becoming sanctuary cities and state. Taxpayer deserved more.

Edward 15 hours ago

In California we aren’t used to getting warnings, but we did on this, and people were expected to prepare. If people are complaining about this, wait until a major earthquake which will come with no warning and be far more disruptive.

It Does Matter 15 hours ago

I am not convinced that this wasn’t totally contrived by the Democrats to make people vulnerable. The Democrats probably threatened the power companies with lawsuits, making it impossible to do anything but cut power. Now the people have to run to their government to save them, just as Democrats want.

Chief 15 hours ago

I wonder how much money California is losing for every hour the power is off. Sure it wouldn't be more economical to, you know, properly manage your forests?

Scott 15 hours ago

No, the blackout is in response to CA allowing them to be sued for damages even though they are a regulated public service company. One of only a couple states that do that. Good job on shifting blame Newsom.

Mike

The power company is not solely responsible for the wildfires but they were singled out and paid a heavy financial price. You really can’t blame them for “managing” their risk exposure.

John U 15 hours ago

I hope they turn his power off.

MtRider  :(   Praying we all get rain!  :pray:  

• Like 2

Most of those comments are SPOT ON! 

"Tree huggers" and democratic/liberal policies have let our forests' overgrowth get out of control. 

Lots and lots of people are building in the "country" but not following the defensible space recommendations.

PG&E is most definitely being "blamed" for the previously mentioned contributors to the fire danger that are totally out of their control.

The "Public Safety Power Shut off" debacle is a recent LAW that NEWSOME SIGNED and PG&E has no choice but to comply - and yes, it is mostly because of lawsuits.

The power shut off itself may only last 24-48 hours, but............................................ PG&E has to physically inspect EVERY INCH of transmission lines, etc for damage before they re-energize them. THAT is what takes so long and why people will be without power for upwards of a week in some cases!

This was the first power outage as a result of this new law. I was "in the dark" for 3 days. I'm glad it wasn't cold like it was this past January when we had that massive snow storm affectionately referred to as "snowmaggen." I'm pretty sure I posted about it back then. You can look up that thread if you wish.

• Sad 1

Wow, sounds like your darkness was shorter than most.  Of course you're ready but it's still a pain. 

It's the ones that have a C-pap or something that I worry about.  I would not have wanted to deal with a power outage during the 4 months DH was on O2 for the Blood Clot In Lung.  We would have had to go somewhere and not just for daytime hours.  And bring the "R2D2" size unit along with us. 

But this is not the end of the Santa Anna winds, is it?  Don't they continue for a while yet?  :unsure: 

MtRider  :pray: for all in danger and all w/o power....and for some sensible decision-making!!!

• Sad 1

Here is a new and UNPLEASANT  ...DANGEROUS....development.  Cell phone towers are not required to have back up power.......so some don't.    Some have automated systems ...which might run out of fuel and might not be accessible in the fire areas.  Same for battery backups.  It's limited.  Some towers will be damaged directly by the fires. 

So in the middle of the raging infernos, power outage takes out TV as a source of data unless you have a generator.  Then you can kinda rely on radios...but without seeing maps like on TV.  But most folks will simply use their phones for data.

I can tell you from much personal experience, the number one thing you need is UPDATED, CORRECT DATA!  As in:  where is that MONSTER and do I have to pack up or not????   I have actually driven TOWARDS the fire to see if the SUDDEN INUNDATION of SMOKE meant that it had leaped MUCH CLOSER.  That wasn't the case, that time.  That was caused by a sudden, intense down-draft which sent the smoke swooshing 50 miles in every direction.  :oAlllll sorts of panic from....not having information!

Up in our granite ridges and valleys, we're not relying on cell towers much.  But for those that can get cell service in other areas....this must be terrifying.  We joke about Techno-Withdrawl..... but seriously,  losing this form of communication goes beyond the residents.  Does this also mean coordination for First Responders, all Fire Department Personnel ....fighting the blaze or directing the efforts?  How about the police and county/municipal leaders?   There is an ARMY of folks behind those brave folks who work with shovels and hoses.  DO they have communications?

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/communications-california-wildfire-blackout/

[ makes ya wonder how those 5G "pizza boxes" are powered...and how many burned up or damaged would take down the network in a given area?  ...just wondering.]

MtRider  :pray:   

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mt_Rider said:

Here is a new and UNPLEASANT  ...DANGEROUS....development.  Cell phone towers are not required to have back up power.......so some don't.    Some have automated systems ...which might run out of fuel and might not be accessible in the fire areas.  Same for battery backups.  It's limited.  Some towers will be damaged directly by the fires. 

To add insult to injury, CalFire has decided to no longer host Amateur Repeaters where their towers are located, unless.................................................

You guessed it, the repeaters can stay IF the owner enters into a LEASE and pays booko bucks for it to be there. It must be noted that these repeaters are usually owned by individuals, not businesses or "clubs" and most can't afford what CalFire wants to charge. Yes, it is being fought. Don't know how that's going though.

1 hour ago, Mt_Rider said:

Up in our granite ridges and valleys, we're not relying on cell towers much.  But for those that can get cell service in other areas....this must be terrifying.  We joke about Techno-Withdrawl..... but seriously,  losing this form of communication goes beyond the residents.  Does this also mean coordination for First Responders, all Fire Department Personnel ....fighting the blaze or directing the efforts?  How about the police and county/municipal leaders?   There is an ARMY of folks behind those brave folks who work with shovels and hoses.  DO they have communications?

There was much bellyaching about one of the cell providers enforcing previous usage limits during the Carr Fire. I think they eventually took the limits off, but I don't think it was entirely "voluntary."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That’s terrible. I guess that’s why we have MrsSurvival. Things like that happen, it’s horrible, but, we need to be prepared, to survive, ...the politicians, out of control laws and natural disasters.  Sigh. 

How many people don’t know how to deal with it?  Things go bad, freezers defrost, refrigerators warm up, food spoils, and how much of the food available in stores has been effected, because they aren’t prepared.  I know I have been setting things in order, just because of all the catastrophes that are happening. 

I’ll shut up....  :sigh:

• Like 2

On a related note, a friend of mine in the southern hemisphere has a utility company named Eskom that has just moved her area from Load Shedding 4 to Load Shedding 6.  Here is what Load Shedding 4 means:

To give you an idea of the frustration we're facing with load shedding, we sit without electricity for six hours a day – spread out every few hours now 

Load Shedding Six: 11.5 hours of no electricity spread over blocks of hours during a 24-hour period. Load Shedding Four means sitting without power for 3x 2.5-hour sessions every day.

The second person's description had some salty language, for understandable reasons.  

Sheeeeesh......it's becoming more uncomfortable....thinking that maybe we've peaked as a civilization?   Surely NOT!  :hidingsmile:

Thinking of our Compressed Population UNreality Scenario..... 

MtRider  :tinfoilhatsmile:

• Like 1

We watched a youtube video by Prepper Princess, who lives in CA.  She says most of it's media hype.  That people knew well in advance what was going to happen and had ample time to prep up.  Just sharing what she said.

• Like 2

I saw her too We2. Isn't she moving? Last time I watched she was thinking about Arizona because her brother was selling the house. It's been about a month since I watched. 

• Like 2

I bet most of the people who are not directly affected think things like this are/were media hype.  Partly because the media lives on hype, and on slow news days I have seen them treating a borderline/minimal CAT 1 hurricane like it was the second coming of Camille.  Meanwhile, the people who are directly affected by these genuine emergencies have been using glorified coolers instead of fridges and suddenly had to manage their water flow, their elevator trips, and all sorts of electricity-dependent activity they never had to think about before, and if they are old news, they get no coverage.

• Like 2

Wait, Camille came again and again.  Say the second coming of Andrew, or Sandy, or Michael, although they will never measure the true cost of Michael.

• Sad 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.