MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Annarchy...I left our Coleman lantern behind with friends in Maui.  But...just remembered that I picked up another one at a garage sale.....  :unsure:  So use in ventilated area and the glass "should" stop the Beta ....  HUH?   Dunno.  I've never filled or started the garage sale one....yet.

4 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

IF it is a mixture of oils, it is SUPPOSED to say so on the bottle. There is a "test" to see if your olive oil is "pure." Put the bottle in the fridge and if it solidifies at all, it is NOT pure olive oil! 

Hmm, didn't know that.  Thanks!   As for the kindly doctor who's actually a salesman....  :)   well, some of it is probably true.  ;) 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

(Bertolli's) :D

IF it is a mixture of oils, it is SUPPOSED to say so on the bottle. There is a "test" to see if your olive oil is "pure." Put the bottle in the fridge and if it solidifies at all, it is NOT pure olive oil! 

I'm pretty certain that if your olive oil doesn't solidify in the fridge, it's not actually oil.  Perhaps I should test with my stuff that I'm pretty dang certain is olive oil.

And yeah, I've pretty much decided that anybody who flogs 1 specific type as the holy Grail of _____ and no others can compare is likely full of crap.

• Like 3

On 10/14/2019 at 6:21 PM, Midnightmom said:

I have no idea how true these statements are or aren't, but some of the points may be worth looking into if you are having issues w/ olive oil. I'm still using olive oil that I bought with coupons when it was on sale over FIVE YEARS ago! Didn't know any of this back then, but the oil doesn't smell bad and I don't use a lot at a time so, I'm NOT tossing it out!

...I take his "advice" with some amount of skepticism. BUT, If I was having issues I would probably try to independently confirm what he said; as YOU might consider doing.

Found this article about olive oil today. It pretty much says the same things as the other one, ONLY this one isn't knocking other products to make you want to buy HIS.

Seven Ways to Tell If Your Olive Oil Is Fake

https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/seven-ways-to-tell-the-difference-between-real-and-fake-olive-oil-article

BTW - as I said previously - REAL olive oil will not solidify if it is chilled/refrigerated. It may, however, get a tad bit gummy if it gets moisture in it AND is refrigerated. It returns to "normal" once it's warmed back up to room temp. I had to look this up because my onion & cucumber salad was getting a "film" on top of it. I think it is because I cut the acidity of the vinegar by adding some water to the brine. :shakinghead:

• Thanks 3

On 10/18/2019 at 7:05 PM, Midnightmom said:

Found this article about olive oil today. It pretty much says the same things as the other one, ONLY this one isn't knocking other products to make you want to buy HIS.

Seven Ways to Tell If Your Olive Oil Is Fake

https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/seven-ways-to-tell-the-difference-between-real-and-fake-olive-oil-article

BTW - as I said previously - REAL olive oil will not solidify if it is chilled/refrigerated. It may, however, get a tad bit gummy if it gets moisture in it AND is refrigerated. It returns to "normal" once it's warmed back up to room temp. I had to look this up because my onion & cucumber salad was getting a "film" on top of it. I think it is because I cut the acidity of the vinegar by adding some water to the brine. :shakinghead:

I wonder what the actual temperature is at which it does go solid.  Mine gets the little wax balls in it pretty quickly in the fridge.

Mine too, TheCG.  But we don't really go after anything special.  Sale price is our decision. 

MtRider  :cook: 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.