MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kappydell

Winter Garden 2019!

Winter garden 2019 is going in.  Transplants went in last Sunday (M snuck out and planted them while I was at church!  She wanted to beat the forecasted rain.  Thank goodness she left me the other part where the seeds go in, so I can plant SOMETHING, LOL.  I joke with her about doing while I am gone so she can say I did not help....The transplants included kale, collards (2 kinds), mustard greens, lots of broccoli, and lots of cabbage (2 kinds);  I will seed in carrots, green onions, radishes, lettuce, spinach, and arugula.  We have kale seed of another cultivar to put in, too.  I will probably do seeding next week, so they have time to get some growth in before they slow down for winter.  

1016793537_wintergardenoct180195.thumb.jpg.24b661efc8a3aa25d78326c836338430.jpg

We put in more blueberry bushes, and purchased two low-chill apple trees (Gala you might know from the grocery, it is very popular; the other is Anna, a golden delicious type developed for low chill areas by breeders in Israel.  Low chill is a must down here to get any kind of fruit set.  Now all I have to do is find a white blooming edible crab (I'm thinking a callaway crab for its universal cross pollinating ability and its relatively large (1 1/4 inch) apples for preserving.  It is also supposed to be very disease resistant, which is a help, too.  We will put it in a spot in the front yard that needs shade (many folks don;t consider a crab apple worth stealing, so pilferage should be minimal - crabs tend to be so prolific we could absorb some loss anyway...LOL...if they want them that bad....)

I also saw muscadine grapes at the local family owned garden center........mmmmmm......we are pondering where to put them.  We are also thinking about trying to get a cutting from our friends persimmon bush....they don't eat them (They tried them green and are afraid to try again, LOL.....PUCKER POWER TO THE MAX!)  This fall I am watching their 

'persimmons as there are quite a few on the bush.  I'll be pinching them routinely to check for mushiness - supposedly a mushy persimmon is a ripe one.  I would not know, never had one.  Should be fun.

• Like 3

Nice tall raised beds..very nice. I love Gala apples. I get them at the grocery store a lot. A good crispy apple I usually get either Gala or Fuji.

Persimmons are pretty good too. But timing is everything. LOL. My grandma used to love them and had a couple of trees she staked out every fall. They grew wild in Indiana. Still do I suppose. 

• Like 2

Persimmons do grow wild up there, also pawpaws.  I have yet to taste either.  Looking forward to persimmons.

• Like 1

To be sure of a persimmon, pop one you think is just ripe in the freezer, then thaw and eat.  That way you're less likely to miss the 3.5 minute window of perfect ripeness.

• Haha 1

".... you're likely to miss the 3.5 minute window of perfect ripeness." :24:

Come on Amber, it isn't that bad. You have a good 4 minutes. We've timed it. 

• Haha 2

Hmmm.....it rather sounds like you're talking about our Golden Aspen leaf season this year.....

MtRider   :twister3:  and  :frozen:   sure shortened that.  :sigh:  When you look forward to it...

• Like 1

Tee Hee.  Those persimmons were ripe, but I was not impressed by the flavor.  I read somewhere that the American persimmons can vary widely in flavor.  These seemed bland.  A different texture, too, kinda jelly-like.  Now to find me some paw-paws.....:shrug:   (whistling "where or where is dear little susie.....way down yonder in the paw paw patch!")

Read an article just last week......if you look way down into the COMMENTS, they have some interesting data/recipes regarding persimmons.  I know nothing about them but maybe this would be helpful?  They do mention the differences between different types....

https://www.askaprepper.com/10-vegetables-that-you-can-stockpile-without-refrigeration-for-a-full-year/

MtRider :shrug: 

Covered our garden for the first time tonight....temps down into the 20s for a couple nights, then back into 60s.  Almost ready to start picking fresh greens - mustard, collards & kale - and we do not want to risk them now, LOL....

• Like 1

Harvested over 5 lbs. of tomatillos and a pound of jalapeños. They are still producing, so we might get a few more pounds.  

Beets, carrots, radishes and cabbage have sprouted. I’m hoping one of the cantaloupes will be ripe enough for Thanksgiving.   

Mmmmm.  Cantaloupe fresh from the garden can't be beat!  We removed tarps today, everything was fine underneath and quickly perked up from the minor squashing from the weight of the tarp.  We will probably start picking things next week - picking just the outer leaves, leaving the rest to keep producing works well for quite a few crops.  First planting of winter radishes is done, next week another row.  The bok choy is looking absolutely beautiful (and tempting)!  The peppers froze, of course, but we have several quarts of chopped sweet peppers frozen from the 4 plants we had.  I pickled (and dehydrated) the long sweet Italian peppers, and even a pint of jalapenos off the single plant I had (bought by mistake).  I like a slice of pickled pepper now and again for a little zing.    

Edited by kappydell

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.