MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Winter Garden 2019!

Winter garden 2019 is going in.  Transplants went in last Sunday (M snuck out and planted them while I was at church!  She wanted to beat the forecasted rain.  Thank goodness she left me the other part where the seeds go in, so I can plant SOMETHING, LOL.  I joke with her about doing while I am gone so she can say I did not help....The transplants included kale, collards (2 kinds), mustard greens, lots of broccoli, and lots of cabbage (2 kinds);  I will seed in carrots, green onions, radishes, lettuce, spinach, and arugula.  We have kale seed of another cultivar to put in, too.  I will probably do seeding next week, so they have time to get some growth in before they slow down for winter.  

1016793537_wintergardenoct180195.thumb.jpg.24b661efc8a3aa25d78326c836338430.jpg

We put in more blueberry bushes, and purchased two low-chill apple trees (Gala you might know from the grocery, it is very popular; the other is Anna, a golden delicious type developed for low chill areas by breeders in Israel.  Low chill is a must down here to get any kind of fruit set.  Now all I have to do is find a white blooming edible crab (I'm thinking a callaway crab for its universal cross pollinating ability and its relatively large (1 1/4 inch) apples for preserving.  It is also supposed to be very disease resistant, which is a help, too.  We will put it in a spot in the front yard that needs shade (many folks don;t consider a crab apple worth stealing, so pilferage should be minimal - crabs tend to be so prolific we could absorb some loss anyway...LOL...if they want them that bad....)

I also saw muscadine grapes at the local family owned garden center........mmmmmm......we are pondering where to put them.  We are also thinking about trying to get a cutting from our friends persimmon bush....they don't eat them (They tried them green and are afraid to try again, LOL.....PUCKER POWER TO THE MAX!)  This fall I am watching their 

'persimmons as there are quite a few on the bush.  I'll be pinching them routinely to check for mushiness - supposedly a mushy persimmon is a ripe one.  I would not know, never had one.  Should be fun.

• Like 3

Nice tall raised beds..very nice. I love Gala apples. I get them at the grocery store a lot. A good crispy apple I usually get either Gala or Fuji.

Persimmons are pretty good too. But timing is everything. LOL. My grandma used to love them and had a couple of trees she staked out every fall. They grew wild in Indiana. Still do I suppose. 

• Like 2

Persimmons do grow wild up there, also pawpaws.  I have yet to taste either.  Looking forward to persimmons.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Tee Hee.  Those persimmons were ripe, but I was not impressed by the flavor.  I read somewhere that the American persimmons can vary widely in flavor.  These seemed bland.  A different texture, too, kinda jelly-like.  Now to find me some paw-paws.....:shrug:   (whistling "where or where is dear little susie.....way down yonder in the paw paw patch!")

• Like 1

Read an article just last week......if you look way down into the COMMENTS, they have some interesting data/recipes regarding persimmons.  I know nothing about them but maybe this would be helpful?  They do mention the differences between different types....

https://www.askaprepper.com/10-vegetables-that-you-can-stockpile-without-refrigeration-for-a-full-year/

MtRider :shrug: 

• Like 1

Covered our garden for the first time tonight....temps down into the 20s for a couple nights, then back into 60s.  Almost ready to start picking fresh greens - mustard, collards & kale - and we do not want to risk them now, LOL....

• Like 1

Harvested over 5 lbs. of tomatillos and a pound of jalapeños. They are still producing, so we might get a few more pounds.  

Beets, carrots, radishes and cabbage have sprouted. I’m hoping one of the cantaloupes will be ripe enough for Thanksgiving.   

Mmmmm.  Cantaloupe fresh from the garden can't be beat!  We removed tarps today, everything was fine underneath and quickly perked up from the minor squashing from the weight of the tarp.  We will probably start picking things next week - picking just the outer leaves, leaving the rest to keep producing works well for quite a few crops.  First planting of winter radishes is done, next week another row.  The bok choy is looking absolutely beautiful (and tempting)!  The peppers froze, of course, but we have several quarts of chopped sweet peppers frozen from the 4 plants we had.  I pickled (and dehydrated) the long sweet Italian peppers, and even a pint of jalapenos off the single plant I had (bought by mistake).  I like a slice of pickled pepper now and again for a little zing.    

Edited by kappydell
  • 2 weeks later...

That looks so yummy!. I've never seen tomatillos in real life. Funny how we don't get the same fruit and veggies in the grocery stores up north. I've never seen tomatillos, eggplant, okra or avocados in my grocery store. About the only squash we have is centered around a fall holiday decoration on the floor. Hope your cantaloupe is sweet and juicy!  :yum3:

9 hours ago, Jeepers said:

That looks so yummy!. I've never seen tomatillos in real life. Funny how we don't get the same fruit and veggies in the grocery stores up north. I've never seen tomatillos, eggplant, okra or avocados in my grocery store. About the only squash we have is centered around a fall holiday decoration on the floor. Hope your cantaloupe is sweet and juicy!  :yum3:

that reminds me of the time I scored a huuge hubbard squash (15 lbs) because the clerk (up north) insisted it was a gourd, and gourds were on sale for $1 each.  I tried to explain it was really a squash, but she insisted I take the gourd at the sale price.  Oh well, I tried.....Several times at that store I ended up explaining the different kinds of squashes and their traits & uses to other shoppers who asked if I knew anything about such things.  (Do I ever, LOL).

Started small pickings of outer leaves on mustard & bok choy.  Other things are not big enough yet, but with judicial cut and come again crops we can make them last all winter.  Planted radishes, lettuce & kohlrabi; another row of radishes in next week.  Going to keep planting them as long as possible.  Our only issues is the deer nibbles on the broccoli.  But it is coming back.   Pics are from Nov 18 when I started picking the first little bits....241841918_nov182019wintergardenside1.thumb.jpg.00226964224b32c40a28987931f94f38.jpg544657359_wintergardennov182019.thumb.jpg.ad75d98d34687c648ff84763134df9d1.jpg

• Like 1

Oh man, Kappy.  My mouth just drools when I see your pics!  I mean that literally!  Especially cuz we're snowy white and going to get more....possibly a LOT more...  I'm SO not into winter this year!

MtRider  :yum3: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • 3 weeks later...

I am amazed that more folks around here do not grow winter veggies.  No bugs to speak of, fewer weeds.  But when my pastor sees me coming with a sack full of fresh garden greens his eyes light up!  Now picking huge mustard leaves, bok choy, and less huge collards.  Kale will come later, but those 4 things will be our backbone.  the lettuce I planted is coming up, also the radishes;  so I did another planting of more radishes, more lettuce, carrots, kohlrabi, and some cabbages from seed just for fun.  There is spinach somewhere in there too.

I'm starting to dehydrate and powder greens for the future - I have enough for both fresh eating and dehydrating.  That way I can make bouillon & greens soup anytime I want a shot of greens in my diet!  

Speaking of dehydrating, the okra dehydrates really well though it gets pretty slimy when I blanch it, it gets un-slimy when dehydrated.  I made some last week - soak to rehydrate, toss with a little shake and bake and put in oven to crisp up alongside whatever meat you have cooking there.  Makes an awesome side dish and is almost as easy as going thru the drive through  at the local barbecue restaurant where you can not get fries, but you CAN get breaded fried okra as a side dish.  YUM!  Once in a while I just gotta have some, lol!  Gotta be better for me than fries, at least I like to think so.  

• Like 3
18 hours ago, kappydell said:

winter veggies

When we get moved there's going to be a lot of gardening going on at the homestead...including a fall/winter garden and plan to put up both of my small green houses as well.  I have ask hubby to build me some cold frames so he's collected some old storm windows and a couple of windowed storm doors.  I have a nice wrap around front porch that is covered so I'm able to hang planters off the rails on both sides for  herbs etc. as long as it's not freezing etc.  Inside I have a nice bay window that faces west that will get some use too! LOL

• Like 1

Kappy, that is a nice garden.  Like the raised beds.  I didn't do a winter garden this year.  I planned not to do a garden next summer because of DH's bad health, But SIL said he was going to put in a green house and raised beds for me early next spring. He likes what I can. He wants my daughter to learn to can but she won't have any part of it. Says she's afraid of the pressure canner. That is just a cop out. She has seen both me and her grandmother canning all her life. She just hates to cook, but she loves to bake. Go figure. :canning:

Wish I had the land to plant a great deal more than I can. Just a small back yard garden but it has served us well.  Maybe with the raised bed garden, DH would feel like piddling around in it. He can't handle doing the tiller anymore. It was to much on him this past summer. 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, kappydell said:

I'm starting to dehydrate and powder greens for the future

Sprinkle dehydrated/powdered spinach  [maybe others also, but we used the abundance of spinach one year]  over scrambled eggs, etc.  :yum3:  The flavor is retained in the powder.  Assume the nutrient is too.

20 hours ago, kappydell said:

Speaking of dehydrating, the okra dehydrates really well though it gets pretty slimy when I blanch it, it gets un-slimy when dehydrated.  I made some last week - soak to rehydrate, toss with a little shake and bake and put in oven to crisp up alongside whatever meat you have cooking there.  Makes an awesome side dish

REALLY?   Wouldn't have even tried that!  :thumbs: 

MtRider  :lois: 

Edited by Mt_Rider

We love okra.  Here is a sauteed okra receipe.  Tomatoes also cuts the slime. My daughter doesn't like okra but will eat this.

1 quart okra or 1 lb. Dry it well, cut off stems, ends and slice.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add okra, cover and simmer gently about 5 minutes. Stir frequently. 

Add 1/4 cup finally cut green peppers

Add 1/2 cup finally cut onions.

1 cup chopped roma tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon basil.

Simmer covered about 20 minutes longer.

Remove cover and continue cooking until tender.

No slime at all. Once the tomatoes go in the slime goes away.

• Like 1

Glad to see there are others who love okra too!  I have a recipe for canning tomatoes with okra that is looking really interesting....dont see why I could not can it with green peppers and onions, too....just process for the veggie with the longest time, like any other vegetable mixture.  That would be AWESOME!  DIY gumbo starter!  Southern ratatouille!  Call it whatever you like, it still sounds delicious!

Right now I am madly drying greens.  Mustard, kale, collards, in various combinations depending on what is picking on any particular day.  

I think I have created several "monsters"....I gave bok choy to a couple folks who never had it before.  Now they are hooked, and, of course it is hard to find in the stores.  I think I will have to plant lots more next fall, it is that good.  It is all I can do to not eat those juicy stems right in the garden, like cherry tomatoes or snap beans, LOL. ( It drives Mary nuts when I eat the stuff on the spot! I get a sigh and "the look")  But it is sooooooo good.  Thinking of trying more Asian greens next fall too, looking through the asian vegetable seed catalog is inspiring. I never thought of growing my own mung beans for sprouting, but I don't see why not, if they can take our hot summer heat.  Why stop with bok choy?  The yard long beans were fairly good....thinking of doing more this spring.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3

Hubby is the king of Okra eaters!  :24: He absolutely loves the stuff when I fry it up.  I also jar it up with tomatoes and corn...it's wonderful over pasta.  I use store bought corn though to make sure it's safe (in my opinion).  When I jar it up by itself I use The Old Alabama Gardner's method.  It really works.

• Like 2

Uncovered the garden this morning after two nights of frosts (30 degrees).  Didn't cover so much for the mature winter crops, but for the newly sprouting radishes, lettuce, kohlrabi, carrots, turnips & beets planted earlier this month.  They did fine!  I am already drooling in anticipation of fresh sweet radishes - thinned the first plantings last week.  Need to find some more onion sets to put in for fresh scallions.....maybe put in some seeds instead.

Pondering how to shade part of the garden for tomatoes & beans that suffer from too much heat.  Cost is naturally an issue, but I am sure we will think of something using recycleables.....deliberating  whether to weave something out of the bamboo Mary cut down at property edge.....

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2