MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I have heard of this but it has been off of my radar for decades. I knew what it was but I didn't know how it happened. I've never had it happen. I remember my grandma talking about flat sour in food. It forms from letting your jars cool down too slowly. It won't kill you but it will make your food inedible. Food you might be depending on and not know it until you open a jar.

IMO if you've canned long enough you've probably made a few mistakes. I'm guilty of leaving a canner over night when it was finished processing because it was 1:00am or later and I was done. Just like Leisa in the video. It only happened a couple of times but still... 

I knew you weren't supposed to but I didn't know why. Now that I know why, I'll never do that again, barring a real emergency. If you know better...you do better.

The first few years I was canning I didn't know you were supposed to vent the canner for 10 minutes before putting the weight on. We didn't have Youtube back then. Pffft, we didn't even have computers or cell phones to look anything up.   

I'm glad someone is teaching about it. I think if we know the reason why, then we aren't as apt to do some of the things we do. Youtube is full of false information and some of it is down right dangerous.  

Do your own homework and don't listen to just one person. Not even to me. Especially me.

I'm missing my canner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPEVRSBliF8

• Like 4

I knew about the venting for 10 minutes as I have always done that. But first time I ever heard about flat sour from the jars cooling down to slow. Though I have always taken mine out when time was up after letting them sit in cooker for 5 minutes after removing lid to settle down. Then I would always remove them.  though I to have had late night canning when I was working. But I did take time to take out jars. I am guessing do to habit.  But I am glad to know about this. 

• Like 1