MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

5G ....Wait...WHAT?

https://www.miamitodaynews.com/2019/05/07/telecom-companies-get-ok-to-install-5g-antennas/

Being way out in the boonies, cell service is not available by any practical means.  So I haven't paid too much attention to the 5G debate other than hearing concerns for the health of the human race.... :unsure: 

This article from Miami Today has several startling comments however:

"..... Gov. Ron DeSantis signs a state item that, among other loosened strictures, will eliminate local control over where and how many poles the companies will be able to erect. ...........will retain control over “some limited aesthetics,” certain setback restrictions and compliance requirements related to the Americans with Disabilities Act.

“But we would have less ability to say we don’t want these poles to clutter our local roads in residential areas,

.......voted unanimously May 7 to allow AT&T, Verizon Wireless and Crown Castle Fiber to attach the small cells – each about the size of a pizza box, according to telecom trade association CTIA – to county property on public rights-of-way, including wood and metal poles, utility cables and streetlights.

.............. To reduce the number installed, the companies have agreed to share their use. Each will pay $150 a year per antenna it controls for 10 years plus four five-year renewal options.

.................... Because they transmit at shorter distances than the larger traditional cell towers, small cells must be no more than 300 feet apart to work properly.

...........................Super Bowl deadline.  To meet that goal, Transportation and Public Works Director Alice Bravo said her department had been working with the telecoms in “an ongoing process probably for about four years” to streamline and expedite review processes.

“We’ve augmented our staff to review their permit applications, we’ve tapped consultant contracts, and basically we’re working with them to get all their approvals by early summer so they can meet their deadline

........................................But in losing control over what can and can’t be installed in its own neighborhoods and on roadways, Commissioner Jose “Pepe” Diaz said Miami-Dade is now open to “a pollution of poles,” as little keeps competing companies from placing poles just a short distance – just 25 feet apart, according to Ms. Bravo – from one another.

“And there’s no way of stopping them,” he said. “That means they can put poles wherever they want.."

< BOLD is mine >

:unsure:   OK ....1.  we have local govt giving up the peoples rights to multiple private profit entities. 

2.  The companies say they will contract to share their "pizza boxes" with each other....  :scratchhead:  ...just how does THAT work? 

3.  There is a Grande Opening deadline...they want to be operational for folks to view the SuperBowl.  :shrug: 

4.  This is costing the county $$$$$ in hiring new people and monitoring, etc....for about 4 years.  Eliminates poor counties, eh? 

But the one that dropped my jaw was.....  5.  this Grande New Solution For The Human Race requires those "pizza boxes" to be placed no more than 300 apart???   :o     MY DRIVEWAY IS LONGER THAN 300 FEET!   Current cell towers work at MILES APART!  This will truly eliminate rural areas.  Remember our recent Scenario: Condensed Population???  There is no way under God's blue sky that they will place such things 300 ft apart all over this nation.   Not in my neighborhood. 

:ph34r: ....and just WHAT are they transmitting every 300 ft?  What a great surveillance system, right?  No more scratching one's hiney or ....will it be all over social media?  :buttercup: 

:tapfoot:  and how fragile is this system during say hurricanes...tornadoes...etc?  How many "pizza boxes" damaged or downed will it take to collapse the system?  How much "redundancy" will they need?

...is this just rural and privacy-seeking me ...or does this give anyone else the creeps? 

MtRider   :behindsofa: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

My son and I have been discussing this.  Our driveway is over 600 feet.  We would have to have multiple boxes on our property.

Edited by Ambergris

That made me sick to my stomach. So basically about every 3rd. house will have a cell phone pole in their yard.

I'm very math challenged so I looked up on a conversion chart to be sure. 300 feet is really only 100 yards.  I have a corner lot so I could in theory have 4-5 on my property. Dear Lord, please don't let that pass in Indiana.

I turned down three houses because there were those huge metal power poles within sight of the house. Another one had what looked like a sub-station about 2 acres away. No thanks.

In the mid-west, I see those big metal power poles running through farmers fields. They get paid for them but they have no choice whether they are there or not.

With the cell phone I have now (cheapy) I can't get service at the Indy house and if I had a choice, I would vote against their pizza-box-on-a-pole on the corner of my property.

Ambergris, it said on a "public-right-away" so I don't think they can come into your property. "Just" border it. I don't think they could line your driveway...yet.  I could be wrong.

• Like 1

And if they can't come on private property...[without permission] .....then those of us who have large properties won't get cell service.  'Course I'm not Line Of Sight for any cell towers now but at least they aren't required every 100 yards.  Does anyone else think this is fake.  WHO would call it 5th generation technology when it's waaaaay more difficult than previous technology.  It's like going back to house phones which need lines EVERYWHERE to be hooked up. 

And if that's true....WHAT is the motivation for this technology?  Hearing "every 300'" was the break point of all REASON for me.  This is starting to Quack Like a Duck, if you know what I mean.  Not buying it.

MtRider   :duck1:

• Like 1

I don't know. I'm usually not that gullible. :blush:

I looked on Snopes and there wasn't anything about it. I did a Google search and there was a lot of chatter about it including The Washington Post and CNN to name a couple: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=onS2Xc6rMYiGsQX2t5bYBQ&q=Telecom+companies+get+OK+to+install+5G+antennas+&oq=Telecom+companies+get+OK+to+install+5G+antennas+&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0..7720...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.&ved=0ahUKEwjOhOXplL7lAhUIQ6wKHfabBVsQ4dUDCAs#spf=1572238532974

Motivation. Always money. Why Miami? Because the Super Bowl will be there next year. Face recognition.  :shrug:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Face recognition.  :shrug:

I’d believe that.  Especially since some new phones can only be unlocked using that tech.  Plus, IMHO, FB has a part in it too.  Can you imagine how many people are in the face recognition databases?  :tinfoilhatsmile:

I don’t like the idea, at all.  Too many to maintain and protect from vandals.  The thieves have already found ways to hack credit/debit cards, it won’t be that hard to hack that system.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Especially since some new phones can only be unlocked using that tech

Great...... :(    Did you hear about the gal who was found by stalker by studying the reflection in her eyes in her selfies?   [saw the story....True/False?]

MtRider   anyone to join me?  :behindsofa:  

Train station reflection, wasn't it?  I saw what was supposed to be the photo in question.  Maybe if you  knew the train stations by their  skylines??

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.