MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Breads

I'm reposting from Suttons Daze again.

This subject comes up from time to time. People give them as cute gifts and it's a popular thing to do to send them to our servicemen overseas in care packages.

As she said, it has reared it's ugly head again last month. There are a few Youtube videos showing how to do it too. I'm so glad she had the nerve to address it.

It is NOT safe and she will explain why.

I'm also glad she addressed the subject of putting canning jars in the oven and why. I don't think she mentioned the fact that although they may not break the first couple of times you do it, it does weaken them. After time,  weakened jar + a pressure canner =  a broken jar. The same thing can happen to a jar if you use a metal instrument to de-bubble a jar. It can scratch them and weaken them.

I'm also so glad the, "if I see it in the store canned I know I can do it at home" issue was finally addressed too. They have different equipment than we do. Industrialized, computerized, Multi million dollar factories. And stuffed with who-knows-what kind of chemicals to stabilize them. Not a 23 quart pressure canner on a kitchen stove.  Sorry, I'm testy.

My other issue is when these people doing these canning videos learn they are doing something wrong, and latter acknowledge it's wrong, I wish they would take the video down.

Whew, I've been wanting to say those things for a long time. I feel better now.

The only thing I don't agree with is why people would want to can the bread. We are talking about sweet/quick breads and not sandwich bread. I get it. Having some blueberry bread or banana nut bread or zucchini bread canned up for the winter pantry is like having a muffin ready at the pop of a lid. And cornbread. So, yeah, I get the appeal. But you couldn't pay me to do it.

It's kind of low so you might have to turn it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUgbtOlshdQ&t=637s

• Like 3

Sending to service men......  not good!

Reminds me of a man I knew that had been in Europe in WWII.  They tried to get the boys a good Thanksgiving dinner but some of it didn't travel well.  Had the enemy attacked that evening and next day...... {his words, not mine} ...."they definitely would have caught us with our pants down!" 

MtRider  ....good caution, Jeepers     

• Like 3