MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

CANNING LEFT OVERS? HOW?

i know there have been several posts on canning leftovers.  How is that done?  Are they reheated and handled as a hot pack?  I am buyng turkeys on sale (69 cents a pound) and cannot bear to buy little ones as the meat to bone ratio is better on the larger ones....the larger the better.  So I would love to can the extra meat in some of the carcass broth....mmmmmm.  But for the life of me I cant find anything as to how leftovers are canned - hot pack is my best guess.  I'm planning on canning as much turkey as I can find jars for while the price is right.  

Kappydale, I have never heard of anyone canning leftovers.  I wish we had turkeys for 69 cent a pound. So far only ones on sale is 99 cents a pound. DH does not want me to get any to can, but I have 3 turkey breast and 2 hams in freezer I am going to can after first of year when I have more time.  The only thing I can think of for leftovers is making Turkey soup and canning it. Would be great to know what they do. Interesting. 

3 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Kappydale, I have never heard of anyone canning leftovers.  I wish we had turkeys for 69 cent a pound. So far only ones on sale is 99 cents a pound. DH does not want me to get any to can, but I have 3 turkey breast and 2 hams in freezer I am going to can after first of year when I have more time.  The only thing I can think of for leftovers is making Turkey soup and canning it. Would be great to know what they do. Interesting. 

Cube your turkey meat and add the broth, then process as normal for your elevation, etc.

Han does NOT can well....it kind of "carmelizes" in the jars (gets really dark) and doesn't really taste like ham when you open the jar. I suggest that you test ONE JAR when you process your turkey. 

OK, I guess I will go hot pack (after I chill the broth & lift off any fat, of course).  The 69 cent turkeys just popped up last sunday...that is the cheapest in at least 2 years - the sale price has been 98 cents for us, too, Little Sis, so I snatched one up. If there is one thing I have leaned about Walmart is that if something is a REALLY good price, grab it, it won;t be around long. They went fast.  If they put out more I'll get more, since I think that is as cheap as they will get this year (How I miss those olden days of 39 cent a pound turkey.  Meat prices are going crazy!)    I'm hoping this year's holiday "special" will be turkey.  I have canned ham, but M-Mom is right, it discolored, probably from the cure they used, to a dark red.  I did not really like the texture, too soft, like spam, but nobody else seemed to mind.  I ate it smooshed up with mayo to make "ham salad", and made some into ham patties.  So we used it anyway.  

Edited by kappydell

Jarred up some ham chunks a bit ago, and yes, the meat did change color.  That doesn't matter to us.  If we want ham salad it's right there at our fingertips.  Also have used it in some of my soups.  As for left overs?  Unless I am deliberately going to jar up something I've become quite good at cooking for 2, so there's not much left overs and if there is, we eat it the next day for lunch.

• Like 1

Forgot, I've canned ham and potatoes togather. They did just fine. The ham didn't turn dark. It was pre packaged so I don't know if that made a difference of not. We talked about this a few years ago and thought it might be the way ham is cured or smoked is why it made it turn dark. I don't know the answer but I wouldn't mind the color. I'd just drain off the juice if it bothered me. Maybe the maple, sugar or smoke caramelizes it? :shrug: 

Fixed a roast with potatoes, celery, carrots, onions, roasted red peppers and some seasonings.  Had a quart jar left over so it's in the frig for tomorrow.  I'll add some egg noodles and we'll have it for soup.  Also fixed some chunky broccoli soup today and have some of it left...in the frig for a couple of days away's lunch.  Soup is always good with grilled cheese sandwiches!