MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What is the best way to store eggs?

Exactly, Jeepers. 

I don’t wash my eggs but all the eggs get refrigerated as soon as I collect them, my hens get thyme & oregano in their food & water, natural antibiotics. The people who snatch up my extra dozens, have been told to wash them before they crack them and to wash after cracking them.  And, yes, they have quit laying for the winter.   :sigh:  I only have 2 doz. left.  

Good that somebody else enjoys 'Today I Found Out'. 

To answer the question, if store bought, you have to refrigerate, once refrigerated, must be kept that way. 

Also, if you sell, or distribute eggs, by U.S. law, must be refrigerated. 

BUT fresh, dipped in isinglass (the gel, not the mica), not refrigerated, last longer with us. 

I suppose one can dip refrigerated eggs, too. 

Also, folks with 'English Stomachs' should wash the eggs, refrigerated or not.

Sarah

58 minutes ago, Sarah said:

English Stomach

I give up. What does this mean???  :blush: :scratchhead:

(I did a search and could not find this expression anywhere, including sites dedicated to idioms.) :pc_coffee:

I am guessing that it refers to someone who can easily be repulsed by the sight of some foods, or whose stomach gets easily upset. However,  I don't see how anyone who can eat blood pudding  :yuk: could possibly have a delicate stomach in either sense of the word! :P  :D   :blink:

As long as we've got power the easiest way for us to store our eggs (when we catch them on sale) is to mix two of them very well with a wisk, then into a quart sized freezer bag, then again in another freezer bag and laid flat in the freezer until they freeze.  Then we can put them all in one place for an easy grab and go.  We also bought some baby bottle liners that work really good for that too! I've seen several tubers dehydrate eggs after they've scrambled them but haven't tried that...a bit leary.

On 11/25/2019 at 6:24 PM, Midnightmom said:

I give up. What does this mean???  :blush: :scratchhead:

Welcome to my world.  Translations can be fun !

On 11/25/2019 at 6:24 PM, Midnightmom said:

I am guessing that it refers to someone who can easily be repulsed by the sight of some foods, or whose stomach gets easily upset.

Partially.

I would not call it an idiom, for to me idioms are 'old' and this is a fairly new one, but common.  Ever notice people shopping, and they select the packaged foods over the natural foods?  Ever notice people not wanting to process foods, such as washing, so they get them preprocessed?  (Even if they lose a lot of nutrition and the unprocessed is clearly a better product.).  Ever notice people who never try something due to a pre-conceived notion of 'that would not be good  or is  'ungenießbar' ('unfit to eat'?  - not sure on this translation.)?

We say this is 'English Stomach'.

In a way, it is understandable, as Simon Wistler, the presenter in the video, said that salmonella has been found on eggs?   Not here!  But understandable.  Ever see a hen lay an egg?  Most people would go 'yuck'.

But this non-idiom has a darker side.  We, generally, are 'creationists', not 'evolutionists'.  We see the rise of things like peanut allergies, gluten issues, etc , as possible evidence that you might have something in the evolution idea.  Apparently English are 'de-evolving'.  :whistling:

Sarah

5 hours ago, Sarah said:

I would not call it an idiom, for to me idioms are 'old' and this is a fairly new one, but common.  Ever notice people shopping, and they select the packaged foods over the natural foods?  Ever notice people not wanting to process foods, such as washing, so they get them preprocessed?  (Even if they lose a lot of nutrition and the unprocessed is clearly a better product.).  Ever notice people who never try something due to a pre-conceived notion of 'that would not be good  or is  'ungenießbar' ('unfit to eat'?  - not sure on this translation.)?

So, basically you mean western civilization/city dwellers? ;)

The best way to store eggs is if you have chickens, Do not wash the eggs but dip them in something like if my memory is correct castor oil or another one. I will double check my book on that. But then you put them in a bucket in a cool, dark place. Store bought eggs have already been washed and must be refriderated.  I will get my book out later and post the correct way for sure of how to store fresh, unrefridgated eggs. 

• 2 weeks later...