MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Annarchy

Water Storage

Agree that the collapsible ones are guaranteed to leak.

Popular around here are 250 gallon cubes in a metal cage (for support) that are used for hydroponics, general agriculture, and so on. They last a long time even in the sun if painted with white paint early in their lifetimes.  I want at least one to water my greenhouse, when I get the greenhouse set up.

• Like 2

Great info Ann.  I saved it to finish reading later.  I have about 8 of the blue 5 gal. containers and I think 2 of the ones that hold about 8 gals. that I bought from store but never returned them. I wanted to keep those for water usage that I can refil myself. I am wanting to get a couple of the 250 gal. containers as well that I could set up for garden usage as well as get a rain water system going. 

• Like 1

I don't have time to read it all right now but I will later tonight. 

One thing that I noticed, that I don't agree with, is using a regular garden hose to fill your drinking water supply. Those things are toxic and IMO, should not be used. I got a "safe for human consumption" hose from Wal-Mart in the camping area. They are used mainly in campers and RV's. The one I got is blue. I used that to fill my water jugs from the garage faucet. 

I know the water is only passing through the garden hose a short time but in a real life emergency, my water suddenly becomes very important so that's one area I don't want to mess with any more than I have to. I got the safe hose so it's one less thing to think about. 

BTW, I got mine about 5 years ago so I assume Wal-Mart still has them. If not a big box hardware store, camping supply or sporting goods store should have them. Or good old Amazon. 

Also mine is only a few feet long so it isn't like a huge 25 foot hose $$$.

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jeepers said:

"safe for human consumption" hose

ABSOLUTELY!  We use only "white hoses" specifically made for water transfer.  We also never allow the ends to touch anything but the spicket (which we clean off with lysol wipes) that we are hooking up to.  Ever see a male dog hike a leg on a water spicket in a camp ground?  We have!  We even wipe off the connection to our travel trailer.  We keep my van winterized so there's no water going in or out in Miss B.  When we're finished, I hold one end while he disconnects and rolls up the hose, moving the water out the end that I'm holding then we hook those two ends together.  If you've ever had a "sour" tank you'll know why!

• Like 3

Good point We2. A dog, especially a male, will pee on anything. Gotta mark that territory. Not to mention dust and debris. Mine was safe from pee etc. because I used my garage faucet. But I already have the wipes here so I'm going to use them to wipe off the spigot from now on. What's a few seconds precaution now compared to intestinal disturbance in a stressful situation later. I suppose a mouse or bug could have contaminated it.  :0327:

• Like 1

I have a hose that is used for campers for water and am looking into getting a couple of stainless steal ones.  Didn't know they made them till I saw them advertised in a magazine. Can't go wrong with stainless steal. 

I've never heard of a stainless steel water hose either. I just Amazon-ed it and they aren't all that expensive. Really surprised me. Thanks for the heads up. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.