MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

Sudden absurd attack? Grab your "narwhal tusks"

So we've all heard about yet another [non-gun] absurd attack in London.  Guess ban on firearms is not stopping aggression/injury/death, right?  But what caught my attention, not surprisingly, was the CREATIVE adaptions the other people had for counter attack/defense.  And their counter attack was successful in stopping more deaths/injury.  Good for them!

I think that the code word for "creative adaptive defensive weapons" will ever now be known as NARWHAL TUSKS!  Can you believe that one? 

Soooooo.....  Look around you.  In the next couple minutes, see how many ....ahem, "narwhal tusks" you could lay hands on if necessary for defense.....[not counting your usual types of defensive items].

MtRider  ......  Lets get something positive out of this horrid attack. 

Guest Ro2935

It is disturbing the amount of attacks taking place in the UK and Europe as well as the dreadful killings that happened in America over the weekend. It appears that the closer to the festivities we get the crazies come out in numbers. I love a 40minute bus ride from Manchester city centre &my sister works in a local city council office that over looks an area that is set up each year for the Christmas market, it is lively and very well attended.

For the past few years there has been armed officers in the roof tops, and bollards out in place to stop cars and trucks driving into people.

One of the officers was talking to my sister whilst he was using the office kitchen, (there are a few of them in the roof, so they are up there a couple of hours then come down and use the breakrooms and facilities before toddling back up there.) The most vulnerable areas are the public transport busses, trams and trains. There is not enough armed officers to put on to each bus or each carrige of a train or tram, besides I think there would be a few upset people if they saw a covered up person with a gun sat down whilst they where on there travels.

As it has already been proven the crazies don't give a hoot what they attack so long as it is effective and they get maximum publicity, i.e. bombs on London underground & buses stabings on trains in Europe,

Cars and trucks used to mow people down, the world has gone mad, with the violent few appear to be on the increase, recruiting more with the resulting publicity.I

What a dreadful way to live.

I'd think a sharp pointy stick would be a lot cheaper and as effective.

We live in such a violent world. Movies, TV, video games, internet, the news. What evil people don't think up on their own, they learn from the media. Stopping glamorizing and publicizing it might help. I doubt it though. The Genie is already out of the bottle. Its already out there.

:hi:  Ro!   Have you had trouble getting back in toooo?  Didn't you used to have a ?cat? or something with your screen name?  I just tried to go back to members list and could not find the list. 

11 hours ago, Guest Ro2935 said:

As it has already been proven the crazies don't give a hoot what they attack so long as it is effective and they get maximum publicity, i.e. bombs on London underground & buses stabings on trains in Europe....

I agree that things are getting quite disturbing anywhere people gather.  But.....should we all stay home?  NO.  But we should have certain things that we keep watching for.  ---Odd behaviors.  ----Exits from any position we're in.  ----Access to even very odd defensive weapons...... 

What makes the narwhal tusk so UNUSUAL is that most folks have probably never heard of the sea critter it belongs to.  I think the guy was very quick-thinking.  As I read it, he ran back into a museum or something and grabbed it.  Museum or whoever was probably less impressed with this action but....did it save some lives?  Probably.  I LIKE the way some able folks got in there to STOP this creep.   Me.....  :behindsofa:   .....I might be OUTTA THERE!   Unless I knew folks in the gathering.....  :darthduck:    

One of the things I differentiate is the TARGETED Gang killings and Drug Cartels slaughter.....from the folks who just RANDOMLY attack as many as possible for a cause or for rage/fame or for other reasons of mental illness/maladjustment.

:sigh:   We're not doing well to stop either type of violence.

1.  Sooooo....anyone look around your house......or around yourself when you're at the store.....and find any defensive weapons, however ODD?

2.   Alternate assignment.....has anyone looked for a place to exit quickly at any point while you've been out an about?

Me......I'm carrying  something when out walking XXL dog.  That's 2 defenses....but neither are odd.  The ski pole I use as walking support has a very pointed end on it tho.  I could also swirl it around with some force if needed.  Bring it down on the nose of some 4-legged which is more probably my threat than 2-legged.  But...ya never know.

MtRider   :darthduck: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

1.  In my house, there are numerous personal protective items in every room.  A perp, might be a little upset by getting pummeled with a letter opener, 3’ long metal ruler, or screw driver, until I can pull the concealed items, just in my office.  Lol.  The kitchen has the knife block... In the yard, I have various walking sticks stashed all over, jic I need one, then, garden tools etc.  

2.  Situation awareness.  Parking, scan the area, noting vehicles, buildings, doors & windows, and, of course, people.  Inside, keep scanning...  exits... even shelter... The WM shooting in TX is still in the news paper daily.  A constant reminder to stay alert, no matter how familiar I am with the stores or areas, and even the people.

Years ago, our town had a siren that went off, whenever there was a prison escape.  That trained me to always be aware (beware) of people and their actions.  Since the town doesn’t do that anymore, it has heightened my awareness, because now, we never know...

• Like 3

I just prefer not to go out alone.  I plan my shopping etc., for a time when all three of us (with Abby-girl in her back seat deck if it's not summer and hot) can go together.  Once we were at the post office and a friend pecked on my side of the truck window...Abby nearly went through the window!  Scared the witts out of him.  Then another time we were somethe library and a friend tapped on my side of the truck window...same thing!  But in these days and times it's just not safe for a woman to be out alone.  Near my front door I have a can of the long range wasp spray.  That should give me time to get something more dangerous.  Our back door...has two entrance doors and there's plenty of "stuff" between the first one, the second one and then me.

• Like 3

I joined USA alerts. Trust me you don't want to know all the mess going on around the world. The one I got earlier this evening was from Hong Kong.  I did not know there were 85,000 Americans working and living there.  The report is that police defused two sophisticated IEDs cont high explosives and nails on Queen's Road at the Wah Yan College. That region is on high alert. Seems there is a college or something around that area.  It did not say that Americans were the target, just gave the number of them living and working there. More will come on it as it develops.  Glad that they were able to get ahead of it before something bad really happened. 

• Thanks 1

That sounds interesting Littlesister. I've never heard of that. I'm going to look into it. 

It's hard to NOT go out shopping alone when you live alone. Here is an exercise for you. Think of how your life would be different if you no longer (God Forbid!) had a man living in your home. No husband, fiance, brother, son, uncle or whatever. Kappy is lucky she has her BFF Mary. But what would you do differently if you were alone? 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.