MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

It Hit Close to Home

Our son called DH this morning asking if he'd take his pickup to a town 6 miles from us to be worked on.  DH said he would so I drove over too to give DH a ride home.  As I got to town I looked down the main street and saw tons of emergency vehicles.

A man had robbed their tiny branch office and killed the woman working there.  I can't imagine why he had to shoot her.  Probably on drugs?  We don't know at this point!  This is a town of about 250 people.  Everyone knows everyone.  They ran for her husband and he got to her before she died.  I haven't heard for sure but I figure she died in his arms.   To lose your spouse would be hideous, to have them die in your arms must be horrendous.

A daughter of DH's cousin was one of those killed in the Las Vegas shooting.  A friend and her 2 married daughters lost their homes in the Paradise fire last year.  All of this is just hitting too close to home. 

I am full of sadness and anger tonight at this latest shooting.  She was a 43 year old woman with 2 teenage children and a husband.  I just keep thinking WHY?  What can be done about this madness???  When is it going to end?  Is it going to end?

It's time for me to go to bed.  I will be thanking God for so many things but I also have a lot of questions.

Good-night everyone.

• Sad 5

Oh, Dee, my heart hurts for you.  I, too, watch all the madness going on and wonder how did we get to this place in our country/world.  Please take care of yourself and your loved ones, be watchful as you go.

Edited by Virginia
typo
  • Like 3

Dee, that is so sad to hear that.  Praying for that family to be lifted up through these hard times.  God will carry them through. :pray:  :hug3:

This time of year we will see more of this type of thing.  We heard today that in a neighborhood near us a house was robbed. That was bad enough but they stole 9 guns and ammo. Lord only knows what the next house they break into will be like. Very scarry to think that the next house could be a home invasion using the guns they stole from that house. I don't understand why people don't keep their guns under lock and key in an area that would be hard to find by a break in like that. We really need to think about these things and protect ourselves as best we can. 

• Like 1

Sadly...we are not living in the world we used to know...and it's changing every day.  Fear trying to make people hide in their homes, afraid to go anywhere...afraid to even open their doors in some cities.  Until something divine takes place I see no end. But...we can try to keep our focus on the good people and protect our homes and families the best we can.  I seldom go out alone any more, and never at night.  I used to take Abby-girl for walks but wouldn't dare do it any more.  Even though she's big and boastful, she'd be no match for a weapon.  The last time I walked her it was cold so I was bundled up (about 2 years ago) and a guy pulled up beside us and ask "do you need a ride?"  I said no, I'm just walking my guard dog and headed straight home.  Haven't taken her out by myself since.  

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear that Dee. These are confusing times. Small towns are certainly not as exempt as some people think they are.

In the late 70's my MIL was involved in a bank robbery in a small town of less than 400 people. She and one other lady were in there. The robber made them strip down to their underwear crawl over to the vault and he shut them in. The other lady had long hair and it got caught in the door preventing it from closing tight. I'm not sure if it was the actual vault door or that metal cage type door. It was so long ago. He had a gun waving it around but didn't shoot...if I remember correctly. He was caught in Indianapolis. 

These things shake us to the core.  :hug3:

• Sad 1

I just got a Christmas letter from a college roommate.  The usual good reports...she's finally a Grma...they took trips..etc. 

:o  Then she told of her brother and his wife being murdered by their youngest son ...in Aug.  OH!  I'm kind of in shock.  I looked up the news and read about it.  Too many of our young men are just not turning out well.....not surviving without mental/emotional damage.  :yar:  And they choose to solve their pain with anger and violence.....and only then figure out it doesn't solve anything.  

MtRider   ....God help us all!  :pray: 

• Sad 1

Thanks for the hugs and comments ladies.  There is such mayhem in the country anymore: bank robbers, children killing people, but especially their parents, is something I can't wrap my head around.  As a teenager I got angry with my parents, especially my mother as she was the disciplinarian, but killing her/them.  Who ever thought of such a thing back then?  Once I was grown my mother was my best friend.

I'm 72 so I was a teenager in the 60's.  They were rough times.  Viet Nam war, the assassinations of Pres. Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King and probably others I can't think of right off the bat. Civil rights, the cold war, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the beginning of the drug culture, the hippies, Charles Manson, etc. It was a violent time.  Is it worse now or is most of it because of the instant access to everything happening?  Cameras everywhere.  If you're famous you can't leave your home w/o someone taking a picture?   I think about Kate Middleton on her honeymoon.  On an island with supposedly no one around and she goes swimming topless.  Someone is lurking and pictures are taken.  Before you know it those pictures are spread on tabloids around the world.  It's just crazy.

It seems worse to me today BUT maybe it's just because I now have the time to stop and watch it all unfold.  Back then I was either chasing boys :) or marrying and busy raising children.  

Sorry for my rambling.  I probably should delete this but...….

Hugs all around, :grouphug:

• Like 1

No need to delete. It's all true. I'm a product of the 60's too. I went through everything you mentioned. I'm 67. 

Even though it was the 60's we still felt safe in my small hometown. Now that town is infested with drugs. I read all about it from their online newspaper. I think it's is even worse in small towns now because there is no place to turn there. 

This may sound strange but when I was in 3rd grade and my girlfriend was in 4th a man tried to kidnap us.  He told us our mothers had called the taxi company but all the cabs were busy so they sent him.  We were scared but thankfully he wasn't forceful and we didn't get close to him.  When we told our mothers they didn't really believe us so took us home and questioned us separately.  After both of us telling the same story they called the school.  Three days later they caught him at the school. 

When I was in 5th grade a lady ran home to her parents, 2 doors down from us, because of her abusive husband.  The father, a security guard with a gun, went out on the porch and the son-in-law killed him and then killed himself.  

YET, we still ran the streets playing with the other kids in the neighborhood  We knew we had to be home when the streetlights came on.  We rode our bikes everywhere and in the summer we rode to the pool and back, close to a mile away, almost everyday.  We walked to and from school.  Halloween we went all around in the dark with no parents knowing where we were.  

Why was that allowed?  After all we'd had a man try to kidnap us.  We had a neighbor killed by a son-in-law.  You'd think parents would have kept us close, like they do now, but they didn't.  We still were allowed to run and play.  I had very good parents and we lived in an average neighborhood in a suburb of Los Angeles.  Rosemead is the name of the town and it's 15 miles east of LA.

Is it really that much worse now, or again, is it the instant news and the media dwelling on it?  

Here I am again rambling.  Think I'll go to bed.  Good-night  :wave:

That is so frightening. To think...what if. I shiver when I think of all the things my girlfriends and cousins and I used to do. We did all the things you did too. We would have been easy pickins' back then. We even walked to and from the local fair at night. Not to mention alone with boys in cars. 

Good morning.....:hi:

And no cell phones to call for help.  We always had a dime in our shoe so we could call home if needed BUT we had to find a phone booth somewhere.  No one knew where we were from the time we left home until we returned.  Today, with phones, parents can get ahold of their children 24/7.  They can even know where they are by using apps on their phones.  Our daughter-in-law has apps on her phone and the kids phones so she can tell where the school bus is.  She drives 3 miles to town to pick them up so watches the app to know when it's time to go.  

Edited by Dee
  • Like 1

There is so much technology out there that I have no idea about. I'm going to have so much to learn. Kicking and screaming all the way no doubt. I'm still using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer. I'd still be on Windows XP if they supported it. Now I HAVE to upgrade to Windows 10 and am not happy. 

This year will be new house + new computer + new phone = :runcirclsmiley2:<--------Jeepers

In the 60's I got caught on school bus [our school girls track team] in the massive protest riots on I-80.  Iowa City boiled over and there we were.  :o  Honestly, it looked like a movie set to me.  Thousands of college protesters....turning over vehicles, violence, etc. 

They did not touch our school bus......in today's protest, would they be as civil?

:(   ....I did a Without Warning scenario years ago regarding this ....and at that time, no Antifa or Ferguson had begun to happen yet.  What comes around, goes around again and again.  I said at the time, YES it has happened here in US and can happen again......unfortunately.  :(  

MtRider  :pray: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 2

Jeepers,  how did you not get the big update that no one wanted for windows 10?  I hate windows 10.  I had windows 7 and still using this one but windows 10 did an update and little by little started downloading windows 10 till now my windows 7 is windows 10. When I got that e-mail asking if I wanted to upgrade to windows10 I told them no. I was happy with windows 7. So so much for my not wanting it.  I do now have an Apple computer but still trying to learn it. To me going from windows to apple is like doing things left handed and totally different.  But I am working with it. But still mostly using my old windows computer. With keys sticking and all. This one is old. 

I got the 'free' update Windows 10 notice but ignored it. I didn't and don't want it. They won't leave things alone because they want you to have to buy the upgraded model. Now there is really no choice. I'm keeping this old one to use off line. Even if it is slow. I know I have some older programs that won't be compatible with Windows 10. And transferring my games will mean losing my place and starting over...again. :sigh:

I think I know what new computer I'm going to get. Its called Surface. Three people have recommended it. Best Buy has them so the Geek Squad can figure it out when I crash it. And I will because I always do. I don't have a clue how to clean up a mess I make on a computer. It usually starts out by me deleting something important trying to save space and making everything neat and tidy in true OCD fashion. My new one will have lots of RAM or what ever it's called. 

Jeepers, I have never heard of  Surface computers. Will have to make a tripp to Best buy to check it out.  I got so mad with this windows 10 messing up my computer that I bought an apple Imac but still trying to learn it. I need to get e-mail on it and a few other things. Trying to get my middle granddaughter to come help me with it, but between a full time job, dog sitting and college, she really hasn;t had the time yet to come over.  She should be getting a break around Christmas and can help me then. I really need to learn that one.  

We've been on W10 (both of them) for some time.  I didn't have much trouble getting used to it but hubby struggled a bit.  Our biggest issue is them wanting us to use "Edge" instead of Google or Firefox.  We prefer Google with our home page as Yahoo.  Don't want nothing to do with Chrome though!

• Like 1
On 12/10/2019 at 7:48 PM, Mt_Rider said:

:lol:

MtRider  :hug3:  .....gasp, and they let us both be mods!  :o  

Frightening ain't it! If they only knew ahead of time.  Bwaaa ha ha. 

:cele:<--------Jeepers drunk with power. 

That she doesn't have. Or wouldn't know it if she did. Shhhh, don't tell her.  :sHa_sarcasticlol:

• Haha 1